Summer 2014 Transfer Window

307 posts
Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Summer 2014 Transfer Window

by Wycombe Royal » 08 Aug 2014 12:06

JordCot Seems based on the rumours that our transfer policy this summer is just trying to bulk out what is a small and young squad with some decent if unspectacular, experienced players. That is fine and if it gets us in a decent position by January to then look to bring in some real quality long-term in key positions the im happy

Except that we will probably be hit by a transfer embargo in January when we fail the FFP test.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 08 Aug 2014 15:55

Wycombe Royal
JordCot Seems based on the rumours that our transfer policy this summer is just trying to bulk out what is a small and young squad with some decent if unspectacular, experienced players. That is fine and if it gets us in a decent position by January to then look to bring in some real quality long-term in key positions the im happy

Except that we will probably be hit by a transfer embargo in January when we fail the FFP test.

I think these signings are symptomatic of how we have declined over the last few years. We would have baulked at signing these type of players a few years ago even when we were doing it the Reading way. 2 players that could not get into a team below us last year! Teams don't put players in their reserves if they thought they were good enough.If we now have wealthy billionaire backers surely our sights should be aimed a little higher??It just makes me think the new owners perhaps have only a small majority of the shares and JM is still having a big influence - hence this is the best we could do remark. In the last 5 years we have been in the premiership twice - that should be our aim this year not the next 2 or 3. Otherwise whats the point of billionaire backers?

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 08 Aug 2014 16:03

paddy20
I think these signings are symptomatic of how we have declined over the last few years.................. In the last 5 years we have been in the premiership twice.....

:|

dobcheck

by dobcheck » 08 Aug 2014 16:07

We've declined terribly since I started watching the royals some 26 years ago. Must be our terrible transfer policy....... :D

Nomad_Royal

by Nomad_Royal » 08 Aug 2014 16:09

paddy20
Wycombe Royal

I think these signings are symptomatic of how we have declined over the last few years. We would have baulked at signing these type of players a few years ago even when we were doing it the Reading way. 2 players that could not get into a team below us last year! Teams don't put players in their reserves if they thought they were good enough.If we now have wealthy billionaire backers surely our sights should be aimed a little higher??It just makes me think the new owners perhaps have only a small majority of the shares and JM is still having a big influence - hence this is the best we could do remark. In the last 5 years we have been in the premiership twice - that should be our aim this year not the next 2 or 3. Otherwise whats the point of billionaire backers?

A small majority is still a majority, so I don't put much credence in your suggestion that the quality (or otherwise depending on your mindset) and cost of the signings being down to SJM. I for one am happy if, as seems likely Adkins, is being allowed to start to build his own team as reports seem to suggest.

I'd be far more worried if we started to see football mercenaries arriving with our new found wealth ( we have recent experience of the success that can bring - thanks a lot Anton!)

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 08 Aug 2014 22:04

I think there is no question that we have not spent stupid money for the players we have, and are roumered to be signing, simply so we don't go down the Zingarevich route of a new owner splashing ridiculous amounts, alledgedly, in salaries primarily on Pog and Drenthe, then pulling the rug from under our feet.

The new arrivals are seasoned professionals who will keep us, at worst mid table, then look ahead when the ownership and available finance is trusted. Albeit that might be by January if not next season. We were badly bitten by the Russian, here we have some clever buys, an obvious cautious route to take.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 08 Aug 2014 22:11

If we could just get back to the way the club was run pre-Zing, minus the black hole I'd be happy with the Thais. I don't want to see big money signings. Half way decent left back and a midfielder and I'll be satisfied with the window.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 09 Aug 2014 09:54

Royal Ginger If we could just get back to the way the club was run pre-Zing, minus the black hole I'd be happy with the Thais. I don't want to see big money signings. Half way decent left back and a midfielder and I'll be satisfied with the window.

+1 ... agree Cox and Mackie are typical pre-AZ Reading buys and the way we need to go ...

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 09 Aug 2014 10:32

Royal Ginger If we could just get back to the way the club was run pre-Zing, minus the black hole I'd be happy with the Thais. I don't want to see big money signings. Half way decent left back and a midfielder and I'll be satisfied with the window.

Completely agree with this.

Also, I hope that 1 or 2 of the academy players can make the grade each year.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 09 Aug 2014 11:11

blythspartan

Completely agree with this.

Also, I hope that 1 or 2 of the academy players can make the grade each year.

Yep agreed. One big signing every summer and a few clever free's or lower league buys. Didn't we let our chief scout leave? (former Fulham chap) I guess that needs addressing now.

JIM

by JIM » 09 Aug 2014 11:42

100 %Right. sadly we get a goodie. and along comes the big money merchants,and before long you are another soton

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: 4-5 players lined up

by AthleticoSpizz » 10 Aug 2014 01:53

Ian Royal
AthleticoSpizz
Ian Royal Ok. I just think Kelly was terrible there, Cummings mediocre at best (there) and I'm not sure relying on Obita without the assistance of Jobi will work.

Be interesting to see Obita gets on without captain fantastic ahead of him actually.
not since his first season with us....put in many heralded shift when we got promoted.

Plenty of decent performances (and potential) to be tapped into still

Not mediocre on the right, but that's not what I was talking about, was it.
Oh sorry, my bad, maybe it was the left that you were referring to??

:lol:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Aug 2014 10:08

Obviously, as it was about alternatives to Obita and not having a genuine left back at the club. Good goal from cummings yest

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 Aug 2014 10:28

Wycombe Royal
Victor Meldrew Just as an aside Peterborough were called crazy for spending £1 million on a Watford reserve-one year later they have the last laugh coining a profit of £4m

Not quite, they've had to hand over a shade over £2m to Watford due to the sell on clause.

So Watford have received over £3m for a player who barely played for them. That is better than anything Hammond has ever done for us.

Not sure about that, I'd say buying Long and Doyle for £78,000, getting lots of good football and selling them for a combined fee of around £11-12m is better business. Unless that wasn't Hammond

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 10 Aug 2014 11:30

genome
Wycombe Royal
Victor Meldrew Just as an aside Peterborough were called crazy for spending £1 million on a Watford reserve-one year later they have the last laugh coining a profit of £4m

Not quite, they've had to hand over a shade over £2m to Watford due to the sell on clause.

So Watford have received over £3m for a player who barely played for them. That is better than anything Hammond has ever done for us.

Not sure about that, I'd say buying Long and Doyle for £78,000, getting lots of good football and selling them for a combined fee of around £11-12m is better business. Unless that wasn't Hammond

Yeah but apart from that what has Hammond ever done for us

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 10 Aug 2014 11:31

genome
Wycombe Royal

But those two players had a reputation and a track record of scoring goals at a high level. Assombalonga didn't. He was just a young striker who hadn't had his chance at Watford. So I think £3m is exceptionally good business. It would be like us getting a fee of £1m for Samuel now and then another £2m in sell ons a year later.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 10 Aug 2014 11:40

What did we pay for Sonko, what did we get for him?

Likewise Kitson.

Been some fairly cute dealings in the past.

To be honest getting our money back on Harford was a pretty clever piece of business too....

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Aug 2014 12:39

Nameless What did we pay for Sonko, what did we get for him?

Likewise Kitson.

Been some fairly cute dealings in the past.

To be honest getting our money back on Harford was a pretty clever piece of business too....

And Fae.

Sonko was free, 'bout £3m I think...

Kits cost around £500k in the end (probably a bit less) and we sold him for about £5m.
Gylfi's got to be the big win. Didn't we bring him in for about £100k as a youngster, and then obviously he went for £7m after one senior season.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 10 Aug 2014 14:32

Interesting to see Huddersfield parted company with Robins this morning, strangely after only one game, smells of behind the scenes issues, and we all know how stroppy they get when the clubs sell their good players without their say so. Maybe the random rumours about Wells attracting interest from us isnt so far off key as first thought. ??

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 10 Aug 2014 15:02

howser Interesting to see Huddersfield parted company with Robins this morning, strangely after only one game, smells of behind the scenes issues, and we all know how stroppy they get when the clubs sell their good players without their say so. Maybe the random rumours about Wells attracting interest from us isnt so far off key as first thought. ??

Now that's the player we need! Great turn of pace and knows where the goal is, but he wont come cheap. I can't see it, but you never know.

307 posts