New manager rumours and speculation

768 posts
Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

Re: New manager rumours and speculation

by Royal_jimmy » 14 May 2023 09:29

blythspartan I have seen it mentioned that we’re looking at Luke Williams the Notts County manager. Obviously, pure speculation but a managerial appointment of this nature wouldn’t surprise me. Also, he might be able to persuade Langstaff to come here.

Well if we're going to poach another clubs manager whether it's Wellens or Williams then let's get on with it, the later it happens it not only shortens our season preparations but disrupts their clubs' as well.

nailseabiscuitman

by nailseabiscuitman » 14 May 2023 10:23

blythspartan I have seen it mentioned that we’re looking at Luke Williams the Notts County manager. Obviously, pure speculation but a managerial appointment of this nature wouldn’t surprise me. Also, he might be able to persuade Langstaff to come here.

Suggest a quick glance at his record as Swindon manager might cause a rethink, about 22% win ratio

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 May 2023 10:28

nailseabiscuitman

Suggest a quick glance at his record as Swindon manager might cause a rethink, about 22% win ratio

An appointment to get us promoted from L1 as a manager with less than 30% L1 win rate 6 years ago whose only significant job since isgetting Notts County promoted back into the Football League sound like a typically shit Dai decision.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 May 2023 10:34

Snowflake Royal
nailseabiscuitman

An appointment to get us promoted from L1 as a manager with less than 30% L1 win rate 6 years ago whose only significant job since isgetting Notts County promoted back into the Football League sound like a typically shit Dai decision.

Not sure it’s a typical Dai appointment if he is. Tbf most managers fail somewhere and what he did with Notts was a very good achievement - 107 points wasn’t it? He was only 36 when he took over at Swindon

Presumably did some good stuff as assistant to Russell Martin as well. Young manager with some decent experience who plays good football

In saying that he wouldn’t be top of my list.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 May 2023 10:41

Hound
Snowflake Royal
nailseabiscuitman Suggest a quick glance at his record as Swindon manager might cause a rethink, about 22% win ratio

Not sure it’s a typical Dai appointment if he is. Tbf most managers fail somewhere and what he did with Notts was a very good achievement - 107 points wasn’t it? He was only 36 when he took over at Swindon

Presumably did some good stuff as assistant to Russell Martin as well. Young manager with some decent experience who plays good football

In saying that he wouldn’t be top of my list.

Really need someone in whose appointment will put a bit of a buzz and excitement about the place though and that will really only be possible with someone like a Wilder (or a Warnock :wink: ).

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 14 May 2023 11:32

I’d like to think we’d be an attractive proposition for Wilder but the reality is he’ll probably get better offers in the Championship. Sadly, we might just be left with the person that agrees to come here and is fairly cheap. Nixon is saying we are now looking at the County manager so maybe we have had some refusals.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 May 2023 12:46

blythspartan I’d like to think we’d be an attractive proposition for Wilder but the reality is he’ll probably get better offers in the Championship. Sadly, we might just be left with the person that agrees to come here and is fairly cheap. Nixon is saying we are now looking at the County manager so maybe we have had some refusals.

Club is seemingly looking at all options, doesn't necessarily mean there's been refusals as a club will presumably look at many options as some that they talk to will want to take time before making a decision on whether to take up any offer that may have been made.

Outline on what Alan Nixon said here...

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/readi ... -year-old/

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 14 May 2023 14:17

Thread on Luke Williams' tactics. I cba to read it all, so let me know what y'all think. https://twitter.com/Jon_Mackenzie/statu ... x0DRA&s=19

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 May 2023 15:05

Pepe the Horseman Thread on Luke Williams' tactics. I cba to read it all, so let me know what y'all think. https://twitter.com/Jon_Mackenzie/statu ... x0DRA&s=19

Some twitterati oik writes excessive gubbins about football tactics like its rocket science and Luke Williams is a genius.

The opening few tweets are a massive turn off indicating he'd rather focus on negating the opposition than giving them problems, and likes to play it out from the back even with a high press. And plays 3 CBs.

Big fat NO! here.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 14 May 2023 21:59

Sutekh
blythspartan I’d like to think we’d be an attractive proposition for Wilder but the reality is he’ll probably get better offers in the Championship. Sadly, we might just be left with the person that agrees to come here and is fairly cheap. Nixon is saying we are now looking at the County manager so maybe we have had some refusals.

Club is seemingly looking at all options, doesn't necessarily mean there's been refusals as a club will presumably look at many options as some that they talk to will want to take time before making a decision on whether to take up any offer that may have been made.

Outline on what Alan Nixon said here...

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/readi ... -year-old/

Article says that it would be a big step up to the Championship ... someone tell Alan Nixon that next season we'll be in League 1!

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 May 2023 00:04

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99 Hutchinson reminds me of that sort of player, it's a shame we haven't had him on the pitch much after that point.

I think McShane started losing his place after giving 2 penalties away at Blackburn, although that may have been just under Clement rather than any managers that followed.

He should have never played for us again after that idiocy at Blackburn.

Don’t think he did, did he? Possibly one more sub appearance but think that was the end of his career here

Still, at least we had Ilori to gift the opposition a goal a game instead :)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 May 2023 08:37

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99 Hutchinson reminds me of that sort of player, it's a shame we haven't had him on the pitch much after that point.

I think McShane started losing his place after giving 2 penalties away at Blackburn, although that may have been just under Clement rather than any managers that followed.

He should have never played for us again after that idiocy at Blackburn.

Don’t think he did, did he? Possibly one more sub appearance but think that was the end of his career here

Still, at least we had Ilori to gift the opposition a goal a game instead :)

Yeah. Him and Rahman, Moore, Drinkwater, Sarr etc etc.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 15 May 2023 09:28

If we don't hire someone with experience of promotion from League 1 then I don't know what we're even doing.

What's the point in hiring a younger manager looking to learn and build long-term when our fanbase demands instant success?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 15 May 2023 10:39

I can't say I'd want us to be after Luke Williams. Yeah, good achievement with Notts County but I'm not sure that means he will be good enough for what we are after.

At the moment though, with a lot of fans getting their hopes up about Wilder, if that doesn't happen then I think naturally many will be disappointed because we probably aren't going to find anybody as good as him and will be a downgrade.

Outside of Wilder, I don't really think there is any name that has been mentioned where I've been especially pleased. Whilst some are better than others, I don't look at any of the other candidates and get excited that they will be managing us.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 May 2023 10:42

Elm Park Kid If we don't hire someone with experience of promotion from League 1 then I don't know what we're even doing.

What's the point in hiring a younger manager looking to learn and build long-term when our fanbase demands instant success?

I don’t think our fanbase does demand instant success.

Definitely against instant failure. But mostly we're pretty patient as fans go.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 15 May 2023 11:09

Snowflake Royal
Pepe the Horseman Thread on Luke Williams' tactics. I cba to read it all, so let me know what y'all think. https://twitter.com/Jon_Mackenzie/statu ... x0DRA&s=19

Some twitterati oik writes excessive gubbins about football tactics like its rocket science.......

:?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 May 2023 13:06

YorkshireRoyal99 I can't say I'd want us to be after Luke Williams. Yeah, good achievement with Notts County but I'm not sure that means he will be good enough for what we are after.

At the moment though, with a lot of fans getting their hopes up about Wilder, if that doesn't happen then I think naturally many will be disappointed because we probably aren't going to find anybody as good as him and will be a downgrade.

Outside of Wilder, I don't really think there is any name that has been mentioned where I've been especially pleased. Whilst some are better than others, I don't look at any of the other candidates and get excited that they will be managing us.

Who would you be excited by?

I think there are some good candidates out there. Don’t really understand the negativity towards Williams, sure none of us know him or his style especially well but 107 points and getting Notts back up is more than a good achievement. Young manager who has been coaching for years in the lower leagues one way or another

Again not my first choice at all but I wouldn’t be at all disappointed if he was chosen

Wilder would be great but any of Cowley, Williams, Critchley or Wellens would be a good appointment if they were given time (obvs a good appointment is no guarantee of success still)

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 15 May 2023 13:15

heard on the grapevine we are interested in marc skinner

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 15 May 2023 14:04

Hound
YorkshireRoyal99 I can't say I'd want us to be after Luke Williams. Yeah, good achievement with Notts County but I'm not sure that means he will be good enough for what we are after.

Who would you be excited by?

I think there are some good candidates out there. Don’t really understand the negativity towards Williams, sure none of us know him or his style especially well but 107 points and getting Notts back up is more than a good achievement. Young manager who has been coaching for years in the lower leagues one way or another

Again not my first choice at all but I wouldn’t be at all disappointed if he was chosen

Wilder would be great but any of Cowley, Williams, Critchley or Wellens would be a good appointment if they were given time (obvs a good appointment is no guarantee of success still)

I don't necessarily disagree, but that's what I mean, a potentially decent appointment doesn't mean it would excite me. Like a Cowley, Critchley or Darren Moore for instance. Decent managers, would likely do ok with us but I wouldn't be up out of my seat or anything.

I know Wilder has had a disappointing last couple of jobs, but he was managing clubs with massively different expectations to ourselves and it's the one name where I could genuinely say that we've done more than I'd have expected to, whereas the rest of the names seems like they are either suited to or potentially just a bit behind our level. Assuming our level is Top 6 in L1 which is where I think we should be.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 15 May 2023 14:49

Brogue heard on the grapevine we are interested in marc skinner

Hard to imagine that such an appointment would inspire or galvanise a football club in need of serious restoration, no matter how good he may be, perception is everything!

768 posts