RUMOUR - Hunt to Sunderland

258 posts
JimmytheJim

by JimmytheJim » 25 Dec 2007 10:36

Victor Meldrew
JimmytheJim
Victor Meldrew
andrew1957 Hopefully the 2 points that Hunt earned us today will put this argument to bed once for all. Each place that Reading finish up the Prem table is going to be worth at least £750K this year. The 2 points Hunty earned at the end of the match tonight could easily mean we finish two places higher at the end of the season and the club will be £1.5M better off as a result of this one performance.

Why would we sell a player for £2M or so when he has nearly earned that for the club in just one day???

What's this about Hunt earning us 2 points?
Shane Long did a fantastic run past 3 players and crosed to the unmarked Hunt who nearly f****d up another chance as the ball just about went across the line.
What about the simple header Hunt had from about 2 yards in the first-half that he managed to put wide?
If you believed some of the stuff on here tonight you would think that he was the long-haired bloke born on Christmas Day.

Hunt is a trier and I can understand why he is popular.
Bobby is a non-trier and is not so popular.
Hunt is erratic and must be a nightmare to play with as he probably doesn't know what he will do next let alone his team-mates.

If and when Maty Taylor arrives we may see a better shape to our side but more than anything I would love to see some real pace wide right or wide left to give our best two players in Doyle and Kitson the type of service that they both deserve and need.

More tripe from a blinkered commentator. Hunt was outstanding yesterday, a constant thorn in the Sunderland defence whose electric pace and unpredictability had them at sixes and sevens. The shot that hit the post would have been one of the very best goals we've seen at the Mad Stad this season. It was his persistence that earned the free-kick for the first goal, and he scored the second goal, and even if it didn't cross the line, it took a world-class save from Gordon to keep it out. I have no idea how anybody can support an argument that Hunt is not one of the most important players in our squad. Funny how every non-Reading-supporting viewer of the game seems to disagree with you. I suggest actually watching the game next time you go to - if, that is, you do attend home matches, and don't form your opinions based on MOTD highlights.

"electric pace" come off it that really is RTG gone mad.
Hunty did well on Saturday-let's hope he does just as well in the games to come against teams that are not about to get relegated.
BTW I do go to just a few games now and again-ask my wife and children and even my grand-daughter(who is around about your age probably,she was 12 yesterday)who is a seasonticket holder.
Just because I don't think that Hunt can walk on water doesn't mean that I can't have a view even if it disagrees with yours.

Anyone who uses the phrase "that is (x) gone mad!" has been reading far too much Daily Mail for his own good. You don't watch games, and I imagine that on the odd occasions that you do, you whinge misanthropically and without any good reason, like almost all the other older folks who have sat near me over the years I've been going. Which probably means I am an idiot for bothering to argue with somebody so obstinately ignorant to facts. Such as the fact that Steve Hunt is one of the most important players at Reading football club at the moment. I don't think he can walk on water. You do seem to think he is easily replaceable. You can have all the opinions you want, but they don't do diddly-squat to the actual facts.

JimmytheJim

by JimmytheJim » 25 Dec 2007 10:36

Oh, and Merry Christmas.

royaldownunder

by royaldownunder » 27 Dec 2007 23:10

Coppell doesn't seem to think he's going anywhere:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 39,00.html

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 27 Dec 2007 23:17

Huge loss if he does go and for a poxy £3m? Get stuffed.

royaldownunder

by royaldownunder » 28 Dec 2007 15:07

Sounds bad but looks like lazy journlism:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 71,00.html

The fact that he's just signed a 3 year deal and that coppell has just said that he's not interested in letting him go seems reassuring though.

3 million seems pretty cheap! :?

Fat Leather Jacket

by Fat Leather Jacket » 28 Dec 2007 15:09

royaldownunder Sounds bad but looks like lazy journlism:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 71,00.html

The fact that he's just signed a 3 year deal and that coppell has just said that he's not interested in letting him go seems reassuring though.

3 million seems pretty cheap! :?

Lazy journalism? That was comatose.

royaldownunder

by royaldownunder » 28 Dec 2007 15:21

Hmm let me guess... end of december = football journalists window for making largest amount of cash possible?

:lol:

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 28 Dec 2007 16:38

Everton now favourites.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 28 Dec 2007 16:41

Old Biscuitman Everton now favourites.
I'd say Reading are favourites.

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 28 Dec 2007 16:49

Arch
Old Biscuitman Everton now favourites.
I'd say Reading are favourites.

And I fervently hope you are right.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Dec 2007 19:35

I don't think we could complain if he went to Everton, that would be a step up for him and good luck. But I'd want a fair amount of cash and we'd then need at least 2 if not 3 new wingers.

We already need at least 1.

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 28 Dec 2007 19:40

Ian Royal I don't think we could complain if he went to Everton, that would be a step up for him and good luck. But I'd want a fair amount of cash and we'd then need at least 2 if not 3 new wingers.

A McFadden swap deal would ease the loss.

Darren Caskey's Dietician
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Darren Caskey's Dietician » 31 Dec 2007 11:42

The breaking news on Sky Sports News is that we have just rejected a insulting £2.5 million bid from Sunderland for Hunt.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 31 Dec 2007 14:33

Coppelled Streets
Ian Royal I don't think we could complain if he went to Everton, that would be a step up for him and good luck. But I'd want a fair amount of cash and we'd then need at least 2 if not 3 new wingers.

Never going to happen in a million years. I'd rather Hunt and Lita to Everton and Cahill or Arteta in return. We'd probably have to cough up a couple of million as well though.

Deadlock
Hob Nob Regular
Location: There's nothing of value there and the people make very poor slaves.

by Deadlock » 31 Dec 2007 14:47

fruits
JimmytheJim Idiot. Hunt-bashing is so ridiculous it barely warrants comment. Don't think for a second that we would be in the relatively comfortable league position we are had it not been for Stephen Hunt. He has been an integral player for us since promotion, and only a massive tool would ignore that fact. You are stuck in the Championship, it seems, back when he was a bit-part, '110%er'. £3.5m for a player we really need to keep hold of is paltry.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. "
A quote by Voltaire.

No, it's not. You should check out the provenance of quotes before you use them. Especially when you are trying to prove you are not a complete pillock by using them.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 31 Dec 2007 14:59

Ian Royal
Coppelled Streets

Never going to happen in a million years. I'd rather Hunt and Lita to Everton and Cahill or Arteta in return. We'd probably have to cough up a couple of million as well though.

I think the McFadden idea is a lot more likely than your Cahill or Artea suggestion!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 31 Dec 2007 15:11

I'd give them both a 1% chance of happening. And thats only because I don't believe in certainties.

bobby m's syrup

by bobby m's syrup » 01 Jan 2008 05:42

Deadlock
fruits
JimmytheJim Idiot. Hunt-bashing is so ridiculous it barely warrants comment. Don't think for a second that we would be in the relatively comfortable league position we are had it not been for Stephen Hunt. He has been an integral player for us since promotion, and only a massive tool would ignore that fact. You are stuck in the Championship, it seems, back when he was a bit-part, '110%er'. £3.5m for a player we really need to keep hold of is paltry.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. "
A quote by Voltaire.

No, it's not. You should check out the provenance of quotes before you use them. Especially when you are trying to prove you are not a complete pillock by using them.

While this quote is sometimes attributed to Beatrice Hall ( Friends of Voltaire, 1907, under pseudonym SG Tallentyre), there is also an opinion that it is indeed a direct quote from Voltaire. Academic argument is apparently still raging, but it is conceivable that Hall was paraphrasing the ideas of Voltaire.

Personally, I go with the Oxford University viewpoint

http://www.voltaire.ox.ac.uk/www_vf/abo ... nt_say.pdf

However, if indeed a mis-attribution, this quote is mistakenly cited by academics on a regular basis.

Thus, in line with 'Voltarian' ethos; is there any need for such crass rudeness when attempting to make a point ?

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 01 Jan 2008 16:17

Victor Meldrew
JimmytheJim
Victor Meldrew
andrew1957 Hopefully the 2 points that Hunt earned us today will put this argument to bed once for all. Each place that Reading finish up the Prem table is going to be worth at least £750K this year. The 2 points Hunty earned at the end of the match tonight could easily mean we finish two places higher at the end of the season and the club will be £1.5M better off as a result of this one performance.

Why would we sell a player for £2M or so when he has nearly earned that for the club in just one day???

Shane Long did a fantastic run past 3 players and crosed to the unmarked Hunt who nearly f****d up another chance as the ball just about went across the line.
What about the simple header Hunt had from about 2 yards in the first-half that he managed to put wide?
If you believed some of the stuff on here tonight you would think that he was the long-haired bloke born on Christmas Day.

Hunt is erratic and must be a nightmare to play with as he probably doesn't know what he will do next let alone his team-mates.

If and when Maty Taylor arrives we may see a better shape to our side but more than anything I would love to see some real pace wide right or wide left to give our best two players in Doyle and Kitson the type of service that they both deserve and need.

More tripe from a blinkered commentator. Hunt was outstanding yesterday, a constant thorn in the Sunderland defence whose electric pace and unpredictability had them at sixes and sevens. The shot that hit the post would have been one of the very best goals we've seen at the Mad Stad this season. It was his persistence that earned the free-kick for the first goal, and he scored the second goal, and even if it didn't cross the line, it took a world-class save from Gordon to keep it out. I have no idea how anybody can support an argument that Hunt is not one of the most important players in our squad. Funny how every non-Reading-supporting viewer of the game seems to disagree with you. I suggest actually watching the game next time you go to - if, that is, you do attend home matches, and don't form your opinions based on MOTD highlights.

Hunty did well on Saturday-let's hope he does just as well in the games to come against teams that are not about to get relegated.
BTW I do go to just a few games now and again-ask my wife and children and even my grand-daughter(who is around about your age probably,she was 12 yesterday)who is a seasonticket holder.
Just because I don't think that Hunt can walk on water doesn't mean that I can't have a view even if it disagrees with yours.

Of course you can have a 'view', as we all can. What is not on though, is stating your view as fact - that is something that we might expect of your 12 year old grand daughter- as she is probably not yet well educated enough to tell the difference between fact and opinion.

Fact - Hunt is very quick.
Fact - SC rates Hunt.
Fact - Hunt is Irish.
Fact - Hunt came on a Bosman free transfer.
Fact - Hunt is a professional footballer.
Fact- Hunt has been a very important part of this season's team.
Fact - Hunt scored a goal against Sunderland.
.. and I could list more, some that support my view and others that are simply factual and not relevant to this discussion.

Opinion - Hunt is a player that we should keep hold of.
Opinion - Hunt will be hard to replace in this Reading team.

Disagree with the latter if you will, but do show some evidence (that means facts) to counter my opinion.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 01 Jan 2008 20:03

West Stand Man
Victor Meldrew
JimmytheJim
Victor Meldrew

Of course you can have a 'view', as we all can. What is not on though, is stating your view as fact - that is something that we might expect of your 12 year old grand daughter- as she is probably not yet well educated enough to tell the difference between fact and opinion.

Fact - Hunt is very quick.
Fact - SC rates Hunt.
Fact - Hunt is Irish.
Fact - Hunt came on a Bosman free transfer.
Fact - Hunt is a professional footballer.
Fact- Hunt has been a very important part of this season's team.
Fact - Hunt scored a goal against Sunderland.
.. and I could list more, some that support my view and others that are simply factual and not relevant to this discussion.

Opinion - Hunt is a player that we should keep hold of.
Opinion - Hunt will be hard to replace in this Reading team.

Disagree with the latter if you will, but do show some evidence (that means facts) to counter my opinion.

Still feel the same after today?
BTW your facts are irrelevant to a debate on the merits of a player.
How about two airshots in two games?
How about not a single cross today?
I have said before the guy runs about a lot-you can see players running about a lot in Divs1 and 2.
I happen to think that to survive in The Premiership you need players that can do more than run about.
£2.5 million seems a lot to me but £3.5 million sounds even better.

258 posts