Nigel Adkins - new manager

211 posts
Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Nigel Adkins - new manager

by Big Ern » 19 Mar 2013 05:58

Royal With Cheese
Big Ern
paddy20 Add me to your list. Appointing Adkins would be like not sacking Macd after he had spent £25m last summer

So he needed £25million to improve a team that finished below us last season to get them to relative safety this season.

Looks like money well spent to me.

So, are we saying Adkins is a better manager because he spent money or because he actually had money to spend?

I do remember people lolling before the season started about the price Southampton had paid for players and how ridiculous it was.

Is anyone on the forum 100% sure whether there was or wasn't money?

£25 million isn't actually that much in Prem terms and is probably easier to waste than spend well.

I am certain the only ones laughing are wearing red and white at the moment.

Your defence of Brian is admirable, however we are where we are, Brian ain't coming back so we should look forward as opposed to trying to compare a potential new manager with th old one. Brian's gone, we wish him well but get over it.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 19 Mar 2013 08:50

I'm not sure I'm defending McD or attacking Adkins. I'm genuinely interested in the debate around the money Adkins had opposed to McD.

All I hope is that any manager coming in guarantees a level of spending as part of their package.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 19 Mar 2013 08:51

And big Ern, I fully accept McD is gone. Such is life. We move on.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: Nigel Adkins

by winchester_royal » 19 Mar 2013 09:02

LoyalRoyalFan
Results > football.

In general the two will diverge to the same long run level.

Anyone with half a brain could see the way we were getting results last season would not be sustainable in a better league. We did just enough to win games, and McDermott should be lauded to the end of the earth for the way he got results from the team last season, but at very few points in the season did we look in a different league to other teams in the Championship.

RockheadRumple

by RockheadRumple » 19 Mar 2013 09:03

LoyalRoyalFan Results > football.

But Football = Results in the prem

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 19 Mar 2013 09:16

kwik-silva Not a massive fan of Adkins as a person but I'll give him time to prove himself, If he saves us from the drop he'll be my new favourite, if he makes a good start to life in the Championship next year he'll be a solid decision for a new manager.

Admittedly I don't quite understand sacking McDermott for someone who's not a) a whole lot better b) a complete change but there we go.

Am I missing something, but he's not joined yet has he?

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 19 Mar 2013 09:36

Simon's Church
Anyway I saw Murty at the stadium yesterday along with SJM :shock:

Nicely done, Simon's Church.

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 19 Mar 2013 10:00

I must admit I really didn't know a lot about Adkins, other than him being at Southampton, and coming from Scunthorpe. I just looked at his stats on Wiki (always to be trusted :roll: ) but the guy has won promotions wherever he has been, even from being a Bangor City his first appoinment. Seems to have something about him so why not?

(and if nothing else, as a trained physio we should get a better quality 'injury' excuse if he is appointed :lol: )

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 19 Mar 2013 12:50

Maguire I'm not the one being obtuse. How is it a "lucky" win when there weren't any controversial decisions, sendings off, penalties etc. We went away to Southampton in a de facto title decider and stuck three past them. Textbook away performance.

Fair enough.

How would you say that game reflects upon the two managers (and let's put to one side the fact that McDermott was coping without key players)?

I would say that although McDermott deserved great credit for gambling on an additional striker late on, the balance of play was so overwhelming that it largely vindicated Adkins despite the final result. I think if the Reading side of late last season played against that Southampton side 10 times they would have lost more than they won.

Again, the players we were missing on that day are a mitigating factor, but I think the balance of play wouldn't have been so different with a full strength Reading team.

The Goat was fed

by The Goat was fed » 19 Mar 2013 13:00

Brian McDermott completely murked Adkins managerially last season. I don't see how he represents anything more than a step sideways.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 19 Mar 2013 13:13

The Goat was fed Brian McDermott completely murked Adkins managerially last season. I don't see how he represents anything more than a step sideways.

In results but not in style of play, surely?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 19 Mar 2013 13:33

Ouroboros How would you say that game reflects upon the two managers (and let's put to one side the fact that McDermott was coping without key players)?

I would say that although McDermott deserved great credit for gambling on an additional striker late on, the balance of play was so overwhelming that it largely vindicated Adkins despite the final result. I think if the Reading side of late last season played against that Southampton side 10 times they would have lost more than they won.

Again, the players we were missing on that day are a mitigating factor, but I think the balance of play wouldn't have been so different with a full strength Reading team.

:lol:

Hob Nob Anyone - the only fans website where games played 11 months ago are analysed in depth :lol:

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 19 Mar 2013 13:35

The Goat was fed Brian McDermott completely murked Adkins managerially last season. I don't see how he represents anything more than a step sideways.

'Completely murked'? Rofl.

Brian ended up on top by a couple of points, hardly a murking, especially considering our wage budget was higher than theirs last season.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 19 Mar 2013 13:36

Not to mention they'd just come up from L1 while we were play-off finalists the year before.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Mar 2013 17:36

We won the league, not because we were the best team, but because we were the third best team, under little real pressure, putting the best two teams under lots of pressure, on top of the pressure they were putting on each other. And they cracked mentally under the strain allowing us to take points off them away and steal ahead. I'd say our superb run of form could be better described as being ruthlessly efficient at grinding out points rather being clearly the best team in the matches we played on a regular basis.

When it comes down to it, if we hadn't out psyched our nearest rivals (and Brighton) and really upped our game against them, we wouldn't have been Champions. It was almost a text book way for a slightly inferior team to steal the title and we executed it near perfectly. Take nothing away from McDermott and the players, it was a superb achievement. But Saints should have won the league.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 19 Mar 2013 17:41

Ian Royal We won the league, not because we were the best team, but because we were the third best team, under little real pressure, putting the best two teams under lots of pressure, on top of the pressure they were putting on each other. And they cracked mentally under the strain allowing us to take points off them away and steal ahead. I'd say our superb run of form could be better described as being ruthlessly efficient at grinding out points rather being clearly the best team in the matches we played on a regular basis.

When it comes down to it, if we hadn't out psyched our nearest rivals (and Brighton) and really upped our game against them, we wouldn't have been Champions. It was almost a text book way for a slightly inferior team to steal the title and we executed it near perfectly. Take nothing away from McDermott and the players, it was a superb achievement. But Saints should have won the league.

Oooh Mags isn't gonna like that :lol:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Mar 2013 21:10

I'll cry about that later.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 19 Mar 2013 21:25

Ian Royal We won the league, not because we were the best team, but because we were the third best team, under little real pressure, putting the best two teams under lots of pressure, on top of the pressure they were putting on each other. And they cracked mentally under the strain allowing us to take points off them away and steal ahead. I'd say our superb run of form could be better described as being ruthlessly efficient at grinding out points rather being clearly the best team in the matches we played on a regular basis.

Do you know what Ian? .... I agree with all of that. Fair play to you.

AWNIAPS

by AWNIAPS » 19 Mar 2013 22:21

Nigel Adkins now 1/1 odds on skybet

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 19 Mar 2013 22:39

Dolan 7/2.

211 posts