RUMOUR - Tommy Smith

525 posts
Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

Re: RUMOUR - Tommy Smith

by Alan Partridge » 07 Jul 2009 10:10

fozziebear Sheff Utd have bid £2m for Man City striker Ched Evans.

Not sure why all these clubs are spending these amounts when it's quite clear that if you spend £2million on a player the club will go bust imminently.

Bath Hoops

by Bath Hoops » 07 Jul 2009 10:56

Wycombe Royal
Bath Hoops
fozziebear Hard to believe where all the money is coming from with Cardiff, given the cost of the new stadium you'd have thought money would be tight but they've certainly splashed the cash as well. I can't see us spending anything like those levels, in fact I'd be surprised if we managed to spend 1-2 million.

They just received £5m for Roger Johnson.

Also they have Peter Ridsdale running (or should that be ruining) the club.
I forgot about the money they got for Johnson. I'm not sure that its fair to have a pop at Ridsdale, he seems to have done a pretty good job at Cardiff since going there. They have a new stadium and with the increased capacity if they have a good season you can see them pulling in the crowds, I think they'll do well again this year. Although I'm not sure I'd have paid 4m for Chopra !!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Jul 2009 12:29

To be fair to Chopra he's scored over 30 league goals in under 70 games for Cardiff so his record there is pretty impressive.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 07 Jul 2009 12:33

Alan Partridge
fozziebear Sheff Utd have bid £2m for Man City striker Ched Evans.

Not sure why all these clubs are spending these amounts when it's quite clear that if you spend £2million on a player the club will go bust imminently.

And watching them spending hurts just a little bit.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 07 Jul 2009 13:18

It's all gone very quite in the Tommy Smith to Sheffield saga. I suspect it's not going to happen, if it was he'd have agreed terms by now.

Also, on the SU website, there is a little video clip of Blackman saying that they've identified targets and it's "just" a matter of getting them through the door. I think the word "just" is quite telling in a reverse psychology kind of way...

ArfnipIsARoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by ArfnipIsARoyal » 07 Jul 2009 13:30

Have heard rumours that he is not keen on the move up north and would prefer to stay in the south. Possible come and get me plea for Rogers?

johnnym

by johnnym » 07 Jul 2009 13:35

who would be keen on a move up north :wink:

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 07 Jul 2009 14:16

Muskrat It's all gone very quite in the Tommy Smith to Sheffield saga. I suspect it's not going to happen, if it was he'd have agreed terms by now.

Maybe the medical is taking longer than anticipated.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 07 Jul 2009 14:22

Thaumagurist*
Muskrat It's all gone very quite in the Tommy Smith to Sheffield saga. I suspect it's not going to happen, if it was he'd have agreed terms by now.

Maybe the medical is taking longer than anticipated.

or maybe we are trying to be resourceful and save money on having 2 press conferences and trying to tie up a double deal for smith and priskin.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 07 Jul 2009 18:49

Hope Smith's medical at Sheff Unt does not last as long as Shorey's at West ham. That lasted about two years if I recall rightly. :|

Blue Label

by Blue Label » 07 Jul 2009 20:26

From Blades Mad - eckingtonblade wrote

I have heard that Smith has turned down £14k a week as Watford have an offer on the table from Reading as well. From what i've heard tho, it seems Reading arnt willing to pay that money so he may well end up at The Lane.

Dont shoot the messanger, only passing on what i've heard but the source is usually a good one who is linked to the local media, cant say anymore than that.

Dont know how I feel about offering him £14k a week, never mind him turning it down !
****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

would we ( RFC ) pay £14K a week ????

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 07 Jul 2009 20:29

Or is it a case that Tommy is waiting for Watford to accept Reading's offer? He won't ask for a transfer as he would probably lose out on bonuses and the like. Would we offer £14k? I don't think that his wages are the issue at all.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 07 Jul 2009 22:26

I tell you what if TS is really turning down SU so he can join BR that says a lot about TS, but even more about BR - if in 6 months he can command that kind of loyalty from a player, we've got us a good one. Look at SC and the way people like Glen Little jumped ship at the end of last season .... that wasn't loyalty.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Jul 2009 23:07

Royalwaster I tell you what if TS is really turning down SU so he can join BR that says a lot about TS, but even more about BR - if in 6 months he can command that kind of loyalty from a player, we've got us a good one. Look at SC and the way people like Glen Little jumped ship at the end of last season .... that wasn't loyalty.

No but the call of the Premier League & Europe vs Championship is quite different to the call of Championship, Championship or Championship.

We would pay £14k / week for a player like Smith certainly.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 08 Jul 2009 09:18

You're working upon the assumption that money is everything, but it's not.

Smith has already turned down the chance of more money at Wolves - what motivates him also are not having to relocate and the chance to be a big part of the "vision" of someone who he regards as a manager who can make him successful.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 08 Jul 2009 12:52

Blue Label From Blades Mad - eckingtonblade wrote

I have heard that Smith has turned down £14k a week as Watford have an offer on the table from Reading as well. From what i've heard tho, it seems Reading arnt willing to pay that money so he may well end up at The Lane.

Dont shoot the messanger, only passing on what i've heard but the source is usually a good one who is linked to the local media, cant say anymore than that.

Dont know how I feel about offering him £14k a week, never mind him turning it down !
****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

would we ( RFC ) pay £14K a week ????

Not at this level, no. And we wont bid £1.8m either. I'm even boring myself now... Ian... you have the con.

Ian Royal
We would pay £14k / week for a player like Smith certainly.

Ok, removing con now. The boy is clearly living in a blue and white hooped bubble. :|
Last edited by Deathy on 08 Jul 2009 12:54, edited 1 time in total.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 08 Jul 2009 12:54

Deathy Not at this level, no. And we wont bid £1.8m either. I'm even boring myself now... Ian... you have the con.

We probably won't bid £1.8m but it isn't because we can't afford it.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 08 Jul 2009 12:55

Wycombe Royal
Deathy Not at this level, no. And we wont bid £1.8m either. I'm even boring myself now... Ian... you have the con.

We probably won't bid £1.8m but it isn't because we can't afford it.

Uh huh.

UpNorth

by UpNorth » 08 Jul 2009 13:13

We are skint - now official from Sir JM in the EP today. We overspent last year apparently (Doyle & Hunt's wages probably).

Plus Hammond says we have not put in a further bid for Smith. He is not ruling it out but is looking at other (presumably cheaper) options.

All the hype sounding rather hollow now

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 08 Jul 2009 13:17

UpNorth We are skint - now official from Sir JM in the EP today. We overspent last year apparently (Doyle & Hunt's wages probably).

Plus Hammond says we have not put in a further bid for Smith. He is not ruling it out but is looking at other (presumably cheaper) options.

All the hype sounding rather hollow now

Overspent last year, certainly wasn't on transfer fees where the club made around an £8-9million profit. So as you say must have been on the over inflated wages of 2 players already under contract. Barmy. Still hard to see how Reading 'overspent'.

Good news that Reading aren't willing to pay over the odds for someone worth half the price that's been agreed.

525 posts