Nigel Adkins - new manager

211 posts
Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Nigel Adkins - new manager

by Millsy » 19 Mar 2013 23:55

paultheroyal
Ian Royal We won the league, not because we were the best team, but because we were the third best team, under little real pressure, putting the best two teams under lots of pressure, on top of the pressure they were putting on each other. And they cracked mentally under the strain allowing us to take points off them away and steal ahead. I'd say our superb run of form could be better described as being ruthlessly efficient at grinding out points rather being clearly the best team in the matches we played on a regular basis.

When it comes down to it, if we hadn't out psyched our nearest rivals (and Brighton) and really upped our game against them, we wouldn't have been Champions. It was almost a text book way for a slightly inferior team to steal the title and we executed it near perfectly. Take nothing away from McDermott and the players, it was a superb achievement. But Saints should have won the league.

Do you know what Ian? .... I agree with all of that. Fair play to you.

So do I.

Wll done Brian, he did well so not going to detract from his achievement, but there's a difference between a team going all, out, busting a gut, and just pipping other teams to the post, and teams that are inherently very solid. Th table doesn't lie and yes we deserved to be top, but in fairness we were super clinical finishers with Alfie's super goals just edging us into top spot.

That's all very well for a one off season, but try sustaining that and you fall flat on your face as we have done this season. Yes we had a burst of Alfie's magic again, but really that's no way to play football is it? Shut up shop for 70mins then suddenly open the game up with a dose of Alfie, hoping we'll come out on top?

I remember very few (if any) games this season where we really looked like a Premiership side who deserved something. Apart from early in the season it was always been a case of how long can we get away with it for before playing the late goal card? There's a reason why Brian's motto was to stay in the game. That's no way really to play footy is it? Southampton and Wet Sham were inherently solid sides who didn't rely on gut busting wonder goals and yes that didn't win them the title but they are relatively comfortable prem teams, unlike us.

With the same money who knows Brian would be a better manager than Adkins maybe, and I'm still gutted he's gone, but Adkins is definitely not a side step, if only for the fact that it would represent our willingness to spend a bit. Adkins+a more free-spending Reading Way >>>>>> Brian and the budget Reading way.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 19 Mar 2013 23:58

2 world wars, 1 world cup
paultheroyal
Ian Royal We won the league, not because we were the best team, but because we were the third best team, under little real pressure, putting the best two teams under lots of pressure, on top of the pressure they were putting on each other. And they cracked mentally under the strain allowing us to take points off them away and steal ahead. I'd say our superb run of form could be better described as being ruthlessly efficient at grinding out points rather being clearly the best team in the matches we played on a regular basis.

When it comes down to it, if we hadn't out psyched our nearest rivals (and Brighton) and really upped our game against them, we wouldn't have been Champions. It was almost a text book way for a slightly inferior team to steal the title and we executed it near perfectly. Take nothing away from McDermott and the players, it was a superb achievement. But Saints should have won the league.

Do you know what Ian? .... I agree with all of that. Fair play to you.

So do I.

Wll done Brian, he did well so not going to detract from his achievement, but there's a difference between a team going all, out, busting a gut, and just pipping other teams to the post, and teams that are inherently very solid. Th table doesn't lie and yes we deserved to be top, but in fairness we were super clinical finishers with Alfie's super goals just edging us into top spot.

That's all very well for a one off season, but try sustaining that and you fall flat on your face as we have done this season. Yes we had a burst of Alfie's magic again, but really that's no way to play football is it? Shut up shop for 70mins then suddenly open the game up with a dose of Alfie, hoping we'll come out on top?

I remember very few (if any) games this season where we really looked like a Premiership side who deserved something. Apart from early in the season it was always been a case of how long can we get away with it for before playing the late goal card? There's a reason why Brian's motto was to stay in the game. That's no way really to play footy is it? Southampton and Wet Sham were inherently solid sides who didn't rely on gut busting wonder goals and yes that didn't win them the title but they are relatively comfortable prem teams, unlike us.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 20 Mar 2013 01:22

The Goat was fed Brian McDermott completely murked Adkins managerially last season. I don't see how he represents anything more than a step sideways.

And who was doing considerably better this season in terms of performances/style of football and results?

comeonthebiscuitmen

by comeonthebiscuitmen » 20 Mar 2013 02:00

Barry the bird boggler Glenn Hoddle lives around Reading somewhere doesn't he?

He's as mad as William Roach on that past lives crap. Ken Barlow for Reading FC!

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 20 Mar 2013 09:43

The Jury's out on this one for me, like to see someone that shows a but of passion and i have never seen any from Adkins.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 20 Mar 2013 09:48

ManchesterRoyals The Jury's out on this one for me, like to see someone that shows a but of passion and i have never seen any from Adkins.

Probably because he doesn't like football and doesn't care whether his teams win or lose.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 20 Mar 2013 10:00

Ouroboros
ManchesterRoyals The Jury's out on this one for me, like to see someone that shows a but of passion and i have never seen any from Adkins.

Probably because he doesn't like football and doesn't care whether his teams win or lose.

lolz.

Anyway, look how passionate he is

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 20 Mar 2013 10:05

Pepe the Horseman Anyway, look how passionate he is

The Goat was fed

by The Goat was fed » 20 Mar 2013 11:51

Royalwaster
The Goat was fed Brian McDermott completely murked Adkins managerially last season. I don't see how he represents anything more than a step sideways.

In results but not in style of play, surely?

Mate...have a look at what you've said.

Real Life Scenario:

Manager One: "My sales team are nothing fancy, but I've managed them into an efficient team that are the best performing in the company."
Manager Two: "My sales team turn up to work in really good suits and look the nuts. They don't hit their sales targets as well, but they don't half look good."

RoyalTank

by RoyalTank » 20 Mar 2013 11:55

The Goat was fed
Royalwaster

In results but not in style of play, surely?

Mate...have a look at what you've said.

Real Life Scenario:

Manager One: "My sales team are nothing fancy, but I've managed them into an efficient team that are the best performing in the company."
Manager Two: "My sales team turn up to work in really good suits and look the nuts. They don't hit their sales targets as well, but they don't half look good."

That 'real life' scenario is bollocks!

They played better football than us and ultimately, in the premiership, they reaped the rewards.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 20 Mar 2013 12:06

RoyalBlue

And who was doing considerably better this season in terms of performances/style of football and results?

huge LOLs at that

considerabLOLy

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 20 Mar 2013 12:50

melonhead
RoyalBlue

huge LOLs at that

considerabLOLy

Premier League survival 'considerably'. So actually it's them who LOL.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 20 Mar 2013 15:16

:roll: theyre not safe yet. and can happily say its all down to the new manager if they make it
jog on

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 20 Mar 2013 17:24

RoyalBlue

"Considerably"? Until a couple of games ago we were what, 4pts apart? And this with them being the 6th or 7th highest net spenders in the whole of Europe?

And one more LOL at Reading fans continuing to say we didn't deserve to win the league last season. You ridiculous bunch of self-loathing pussyholes.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 20 Mar 2013 17:28

winchester_royal
Ian Royal We won the league, not because we were the best team, but because we were the third best team

Oooh Mags isn't gonna like that :lol:

It's just more bullshit from HNA's worst poster.

We were the best team. You don't fluke a 46 game season spread over nine months of football. People just don't realise that eg. having a well drilled back line is every bit as much a part of football as having a winger bust out some stepovers.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 20 Mar 2013 19:07

Looks like three months self imposed exile coming up , Poyet if money talks with bookies

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 20 Mar 2013 19:13

Why why why poyet, a man who will run off to manage cheatski at the drop of a hat!??

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 20 Mar 2013 19:50

Have we signed Adkins yet? Was Paultheroyal spot on? :roll:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Mar 2013 21:50

I think your problem is you equate shouting and gesticulating with passion. And tbh, passion is hardly a great qualification for being a good manager. And of course, reserved and considered managers have never had any sort of success at this club.

Presumably you'd prefer someone like Casanova or maybe Hitler to manage us.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Mar 2013 21:52

Maguire
winchester_royal
Ian Royal We won the league, not because we were the best team, but because we were the third best team

Oooh Mags isn't gonna like that :lol:

It's just more bullshit from HNA's worst poster.

We were the best team. You don't fluke a 46 game season spread over nine months of football. People just don't realise that eg. having a well drilled back line is every bit as much a part of football as having a winger bust out some stepovers.

I didn't say it was fluke. I said it was a near perfectly executed way for a slightly inferior team to win the league. Which is totally different.

211 posts