RUMOUR - Simon Church

178 posts
'lista
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: RUMOUR - Simon Church

by 'lista » 15 Aug 2012 15:15

Not sure there's room in the squad for a stilton otter.

We are however, IMHO, crying out for a one-thousand-foot stone vagina on wheels.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 15 Aug 2012 15:23

I think they cost crazy money.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 15 Aug 2012 15:42

Norfolk Royal Simeon Jackson is better than Church imho.

Agree.
Norfolk Royal Norwich fifth choice would be Simeon Jackson I would think

Disagree.

Holt (star man)
Morison (regular starter)
Jackson (super sub/fill in man)
Vaughan (6 appearances)
C. Martin (loaned out)

Personally I think our forward line matches up very nicely with those, and Church and Chris Martin are of similar ability (Martin scored 6 goals in 32 matches when Norwich were in the Championship, Church scored 7 in 36 last season- obviously minutes would be better but I think that would only make it favour Church more). Pogrebnyak, Roberts, Le Fondre, Hunt and Church are all at least as good as their equivalents at Norwich imho.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 15 Aug 2012 16:07

You're forgetting Bennett and Pilkington who I included, although you could argue they weren't strikers. It would be a moot point at best.

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 15 Aug 2012 16:16

Yeah, neither of them are remotely strikers. Simeon Jackson was first striker change off the bench for the last quarter of the season at least...

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 15 Aug 2012 16:25

The Rouge Yeah, neither of them are remotely strikers. Simeon Jackson was first striker change off the bench for the last quarter of the season at least...

I always think strikers are players that play high up the pitch and score goals. Pilkington, who was more of a first choice than Jackson comes into that category which leaves us with Bennett. Who plays high up the pitch but doesn't score many goals.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 15 Aug 2012 16:43

Ian Royal
Cobi we've been after a second striker all summer. brian knows better than anyone that hunt and church will struggle at this level. hunt has never been a consistent goalscorer, and nor has church. it's a massive step up for them, and one at least needs to go this window, either on loan or permanently. the other will be gone jan or next summer.

Hunt has almost always been a consistent goalscorer if you look at his goals to appearances. It's good for a second striker. He just has fitness and injury problems and needs a good partner to work off. We know he has that in Roberts and is likely to have it in Pog. Yes, he's not technically brilliant. But he will be fine as a back up striker at very least.

I don't see any evidence we're actively pursuing a second striker. We've made some enquiries about Long and Rhodes for sure, but almost everything else has just been agent talk, media speculation or daft rumours on here.

I'm sure we're keeping an eye out for well priced quality strikers. But if nothing comes up, we won't be desperately scrabbling around for one.

I think you'll probably see a more effective Church to last season with a player of Guthrie's quality playing in midfield. And the guy's 5th choice anyway. Name me the 5th choice strikers at Norwich, Swansea, Wigan, Saints, Stoke etc and we'll compare them to Church and see how bad he is then.

What sort of evidence would you expect to see that we're actively pursuing a striker?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Aug 2012 17:17

A signing. McDermott not saying he's happy with his squad. McDermott not saying that he's got all the people he was actively targetting. Confirmation of actual bids rather than enquiries. Having less strikers on the books or confirmation of a bid for one of the ones we have.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 15 Aug 2012 17:45

Brian said months ago that he would bring in the players that he wanted and let last years stars have a chance. I fully expect that to be the first 3 games of the season.

If the squad do ok then I think our season’s business will be over and Church will stay. If we struggle then I could see us doing last minute business in which case Church might well be the one to go.

A lot rides on our start I think.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Aug 2012 18:03

Agree. McDermott has a poor record starting the season well with everything he needs, but an excellent record at quickly addressing the shortcomings of the squad. See signings of Harte & Gorkss to replace the poorly performing Williams and Khumalo irrc.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 15 Aug 2012 18:23

Norfolk Royal You're forgetting Bennett and Pilkington who I included, although you could argue they weren't strikers. It would be a moot point at best.

But then that makes Jackson their fifth choice but makes Church our ninth choice because Kebe, McAnuff, McCleary and probably HRK are ahead of him by those rules... :roll:

DaveBanana

by DaveBanana » 15 Aug 2012 21:22

From the ten minutes or so I saw of the drubbing Wales are getting, he's playing quite nicely, at the very least not damaging the,positives people take from his play - so long as he doesn't do anythg awful in the remaining play! I like him, certainly not in the top 3 or probably even 4 attacking options, but think he does very little to deserve the joke rep he seems to get!

hashtagthepog

by hashtagthepog » 24 Aug 2012 23:20

TheSiege Church is one of those people who, if given no time to think, will maybe score a great goal. Unfortunately, given time, he will often drag defeat from the jaws of victory. Some unpolished diamonds at RFC have eventually suddenly re-invented themselves as class players. Unfortunately, no matter how long we have waited, Church has not! He needs to re-establish himself in a lower division.

And you need to be re-established with your special hospital where those nice doctors can get you back on your medication!

super darren caskey
Hob Nob Regular

by super darren caskey » 25 Aug 2012 20:19

I still have faith in Churchy.I hope he stays.Plus hes good to have about the place for when Sig comes home next summer

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 26 Aug 2012 12:22

Not sure the Sig will fancy championship football.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 26 Aug 2012 14:23

Royalwaster Not sure the Sig will fancy championship football.

Agreed, which is why he'll leave Sours when they go down.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 27 Aug 2012 12:07

TheSiege Church is one of those people who, if given no time to think, will maybe score a great goal. Unfortunately, given time, he will often drag defeat from the jaws of victory. Some unpolished diamonds at RFC have eventually suddenly re-invented themselves as class players. Unfortunately, no matter how long we have waited, Church has not! He needs to re-establish himself in a lower division.

I think that is fair comment.
He and HRK have had so many chances to make an impression but have generally failed and at Premier level we need more than players who MIGHT eventually come good.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 27 Aug 2012 17:08

Hal and his goals/assists won us multiple games last year, he already has proven himself, at least at championship level.
Last edited by ZacNaloen on 27 Aug 2012 17:09, edited 1 time in total.

178 posts