Tommy Smith - Gazumped by Pompey - Thread

2326 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The Tommy Smith Transfer Failure Thread

by Ian Royal » 25 Aug 2009 22:43

Yes. And hopefully he'll learn to keep his gob shut in future, or at least not talk himself and the club up massively and then proceed to dish out shit performance after shit performance.

Tamworth_Royal
Location: She's got a tongue like an electric eel and she likes the taste of a man's tonsils.

by Tamworth_Royal » 25 Aug 2009 22:43

Dirk Gently, 27 Jul 2009 15:04

I'd say everything he's done - bearing in mind what the alternative is.....

Hammond is there as a "proxy JM" - to look after the business side without JM having to get involved. That means that when Sc as was or BR now want something they go to NHa instead of having to go to JM, who might not be available or probably (by his own admission) would not know enough about football to make an informed judgement about whatever is being asked.

So the alternative to NHa is JM himself getting involved ...... does anyone have a "shudder" smiley I can insert here?

See what happens when the chairman gets involved Dirk :roll:

clauski

by clauski » 25 Aug 2009 22:45

Royal Rother
clauski And of course the fact that NO other players have been touted at all so most likely we will have a couple of panic buys over the next week that could prove even more costly.

That's a FACT is it? :lol:

Like the rest of us as far as what goes on behind the scenes you know absolutely fcuk all.

Thank you. Definition of "touted": To promote or praise energetically; publicize

Please tell me who else has been touted by BR as of interest? I'm not talking about behind closed doors.

Anyway, it seems you have difficulty accepting anyone's opinion but your own. I'm sure you feel at home.

07RFC

by 07RFC » 25 Aug 2009 22:45

chilipepper91 My mate whose mate's girlfriend's uncle who's been doing the Shorey medical at West Ham for the last 6 years just told me that his other mate's (he only has 2, bless him) sister's nephew is doing Smith's medical as we speak

that's a lot of hearsay

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 25 Aug 2009 22:47

Ian Royal Yes. And hopefully he'll learn to keep his gob shut in future, or at least not talk himself and the club up massively and then proceed to dish out shit performance after shit performance.

I sort of agree with you. I really cringed when he talked about making Reading a world-class model. How do you make a football club world class? Winning the Champions League maybe. Whatever he meant by that Rodgers was setting himself up for a fall.
I feel for him at the moment though. Today has been a very bad day for him.
Things, as they say, can only get better.
One last thing. I cannot believe some on here seemed to want us to lose tonight. At times like this its even more important the team can scrape a victory..it might just be the start of turning things around.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 25 Aug 2009 22:48

brendywendy How not to conduct a transfer by rfc. It would never have happened in coppells day. A shambles. That said things are getting better on the pitch. I hope.

I blame Rodgers for the start of the saga by opening his gob, but with the way Watford have behaved I dont think this would have been your typical RFC transfer even if we had kept it all in house

Watford clearly didnt want to do business with us because we took their manager and they were unhappy about his actions, but we all knew about the Lita interest long before he signed didnt we? That was a bit of an on-off one as well, not to this scale, and we got the result we wanted in the end, but it was hardly the hush hush affair

We also knew about our interest in Fae and Mensah so all this rubbish about not knowing anything until the deal is signed (or not) is a bit of a false impression if you ask me

I do agree this wouldnt have happened under Coppell though. He just wouldnt have gone back to Brighton to sign their star player as he didnt like to rock the boat and he would have just decided we didnt stand a chance in the first place

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 25 Aug 2009 22:54

Portsmouth fans not happy:

are you oxf*rd kidding me?
1.8 million?
who the oxf*rd is stupid enough to sanction that transfer? if PS has sanctioned this and has plans to take over the club he is a oxf*rd idiot!
Might as well throw money out of the window!
We could have paid a loan fee for benjani or even some foreign import! Zaki perhaps!
!.8 million for a player of that quality is oxf*rd senseless.

Why why why spend 1.8 Million on a 29 year old player who is at best an average Championship player?

I would rather we paid a little bit more and went for someone with a bit of potential....Beckford from Leeds for example?

he's okay in his own right at a lower level. but he's not as good as nugent look what he's done thus far.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 25 Aug 2009 22:56

To be fair...they are probably right.

Would like a nice 26 year old striker please, experienced..but capable of playing in this side as it matures.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 25 Aug 2009 22:57

Rodgers appears to be all talk and no action. He hasn't earned the right yet to talk like he does. I hear this clap trap about world class models every day at work and it's usually there to hide deficiencies where the reverse is often the case.

Less talk, Rodgered, and more action. This is a results-based industry (see, he's even got me onto the bingo bullshit language).

shoey

by shoey » 25 Aug 2009 22:58

lol, 1.8 mil is all pompey can afford, i think we have more money atm than they do! :lol:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Aug 2009 22:59

shoey lol, 1.8 mil is all pompey can afford, i think we have more money atm than they do! :lol:

Yeah! LOL at them in the Prem with the player we wanted, whilst we languish at the wrong end of the Championship

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 25 Aug 2009 22:59

shoey lol, 1.8 mil is all pompey can afford, i think we have more money atm than they do! :lol:

Yeah, that's really comforting. :|

shoey

by shoey » 25 Aug 2009 23:01

and if they dont get taken over they will go broke, whilst we will survive money wise for years

willz_royal

by willz_royal » 25 Aug 2009 23:01

07RFC
chilipepper91 My mate whose mate's girlfriend's uncle who's been doing the Shorey medical at West Ham for the last 6 years just told me that his other mate's (he only has 2, bless him) sister's nephew is doing Smith's medical as we speak

that's a lot of hearsay

pure and simple

blade 1

by blade 1 » 25 Aug 2009 23:06

Not to rub salt in the wounds but I have to say i respect watford for this.

We bid this amount weeks ago because we wanted him. You must have known that was the price to be paid, but declared your interest in the press turned his head and the didn't get close to matching the bid it until last week. I wish we would be that strong when we negotiate sales of players, but we bend down as soon as anyone sniffs at our players.

Tbf though there are plenty of better younger players out there. May be a blessing in disguise.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 25 Aug 2009 23:07

He obviously hasn't signed anything yet so I reckon Smith is going to do a McGhee on Pompey.

After his previous spells in the PL he knows he's likely to struggle there and that he'd be better off as a big fish at Reading, a player around whom the team would be based.

I can hear it now....

"Everything just felt right at Reading you know; it's a great club and everyone was really friendly - working with the gaffer and his coaching staff really appealed to me so although I was really flattered to have Portsmouth come in for me, and wanted to talk to them, in the end I felt I should go with my initial instinct which was to go to Reading."

07RFC

by 07RFC » 25 Aug 2009 23:09

Royal Rother He obviously hasn't signed anything yet so I reckon Smith is going to do a McGhee on Pompey.

After his previous spells in the PL he knows he's likely to struggle there and that he'd be better off as a big fish at Reading, a player around whom the team would be based.

I can hear it now....

"Everything just felt right at Reading you know; it's a great club and everyone was really friendly - working with the gaffer and his coaching staff really appealed to me so although I was really flattered to have Portsmouth come in for me, and wanted to talk to them, in the end I felt I should go with my initial instinct which was to go to Reading."

would be a good end to a pain in the arse saga

Forest Gump

by Forest Gump » 25 Aug 2009 23:17

Yet again the club has not covered itself in glory. This time not only do we sound like amatuers we also appear to be taking advantage of Watford as a struggling club.

JM be careful who you step on while climbing the ladder because you'll pass them again on the way down.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 25 Aug 2009 23:17

BR still seemed fairly optimistic when interviewed on BBCRB.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 25 Aug 2009 23:18

Forest Gump Yet again the club has not covered itself in glory. This time not only do we sound like amatuers we also appear to be taking advantage of Watford as a struggling club.

JM be careful who you step on while climbing the ladder because you'll pass them again on the way down.

How can you blame the club? How is this any different from us stealing Shunt from under the noses of Bradford City?

2326 posts