Tommy Smith - Gazumped by Pompey - Thread

2326 posts
The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: The Tommy Smith Transfer Failure Thread

by The whole year inn » 25 Aug 2009 23:18

Even if he does come in, Smith is not going to turn this shower into a competitive side on his own

Mr Controversial

by Mr Controversial » 25 Aug 2009 23:19

FAO Royal Rother

Some quotes from me in the past few days that you have seen fit to dismiss - funny how things turnout dont you think?

Interesting view to think that players are going to want to come to Reading at the minute.

Assuming we are talking to players, what about Reading is attractive at the moment;

1) Chairman who keeps bleating on about wages and wanting to sell club
2) Team full of kids
3) Bottom of the league (only two games I know)
4) Likely to be an unspectacular salary (as per point 1)
5) Seeing experienced players being auctionned off to the highest bidder
6) A Director of football who can compete with Mickey Mouse in a squeaky voice competition.
7) Bad vibes amongst the fans and a reduction in Season Ticket uptake

I am trying to find a positive I really am!

Mr C

Oh and.....
Whilst I appreciate point 6 was made in a childish way, I honestly dont believe Nicky Hammond is best suited as a DOF as he lacks the skills required to draw someone into making the decision to join RFC.

I am sure he is capable of the basics of the job as we have seen over the past few years, but I hardly see him as an inspirational, warming, welcoming chap who experienced people want to do business with.

All I am saying is, if as a player I had to choose between identical offers from Reading FC and AN Other club - Nicky Hammond would not persuade me to join RFC whereas the DOF of AN Other club just might.

and finally...

I think one of three things will happen now;

1) RFC go back to Watford with an outrageous offer to save face at which point Tommy Smith will turn us down anyway to add salt to the wounds.
2) RFC forget Smith and make some knee jerk purchases and buy 2 or 3 players before the window shuts that are cheap and not up to the job.
3) RFC do nothing.

Whichever option they take, unless RFC has had a sound plan B (which I dont think they do) we are fvcked.

Would seem perhaps that I may have been right about a few things - particularly accurate with some of the comments - are you man enough to make an apology for the for the insults you have passed my way,which incidentally were always made as you couldnt find anything valuable to add to back up your side of the debate?

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 25 Aug 2009 23:20

Dirk Gently BR still seemed fairly optimistic when interviewed on BBCRB.

What did he say?

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 25 Aug 2009 23:24

That Friday Feeling

What did he say?

Im intrigued. tbh i cant see why BR cant just ring smith up and see if he can sway him to come to us, hard task but if he knows him that well and has coveted him since day 1 now is time to try finalise the move if it is at all possible. I just think with the age smith is at, he will go to pompey for the premiership chance/money

07RFC

by 07RFC » 25 Aug 2009 23:26

loyalroyal4life I just think with the age smith is at, he will go to pompey for the premiership chance/money

unfortunately, that's what i think too

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 25 Aug 2009 23:27

That Friday Feeling

What did he say?

The only hope is that Tommy Smith is unwilling to move from Watford and thinks that a daily commute to Pompey will be too far. There is a slim chance we could still get him but will he really turn down the chance of PL football.

Forest Gump

by Forest Gump » 25 Aug 2009 23:34

According to Sky he's considering a move to Pompey. So now we no how we are rated; well behind the team tipped as almost certain to be relegated.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 25 Aug 2009 23:35

That Friday Feeling

What did he say?

More or less that nothing's a done deal and wait and see what happens tomorrow. I'm sure he'll be on the blower to his mate TS as we speak.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 25 Aug 2009 23:41

Reminds me of when Glen Little nearly signed a new contract with us.

I suppose there's a faint, but dying hope he'll still come...

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 25 Aug 2009 23:53

Mr Controversial FAO Royal Rother

Some quotes from me in the past few days that you have seen fit to dismiss - funny how things turnout dont you think?

Interesting view to think that players are going to want to come to Reading at the minute.

Assuming we are talking to players, what about Reading is attractive at the moment;

1) Chairman who keeps bleating on about wages and wanting to sell club
2) Team full of kids
3) Bottom of the league (only two games I know)
4) Likely to be an unspectacular salary (as per point 1)
5) Seeing experienced players being auctionned off to the highest bidder
6) A Director of football who can compete with Mickey Mouse in a squeaky voice competition.
7) Bad vibes amongst the fans and a reduction in Season Ticket uptake

I am trying to find a positive I really am!

Mr C

Oh and.....
Whilst I appreciate point 6 was made in a childish way, I honestly dont believe Nicky Hammond is best suited as a DOF as he lacks the skills required to draw someone into making the decision to join RFC.

I am sure he is capable of the basics of the job as we have seen over the past few years, but I hardly see him as an inspirational, warming, welcoming chap who experienced people want to do business with.

All I am saying is, if as a player I had to choose between identical offers from Reading FC and AN Other club - Nicky Hammond would not persuade me to join RFC whereas the DOF of AN Other club just might.

and finally...

I think one of three things will happen now;

1) RFC go back to Watford with an outrageous offer to save face at which point Tommy Smith will turn us down anyway to add salt to the wounds.
2) RFC forget Smith and make some knee jerk purchases and buy 2 or 3 players before the window shuts that are cheap and not up to the job.
3) RFC do nothing.

Whichever option they take, unless RFC has had a sound plan B (which I dont think they do) we are fvcked.

Would seem perhaps that I may have been right about a few things - particularly accurate with some of the comments - are you man enough to make an apology for the for the insults you have passed my way,which incidentally were always made as you couldnt find anything valuable to add to back up your side of the debate?

Holy crap. :roll:

Apart from the general crapness of your posts, your jibes about Hammond give you a respect rating lower than Fine Rain so you are not worthy of anything more than a quick swat.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 25 Aug 2009 23:54

Sarah Star Reminds me of when Glen Little nearly signed a new contract with us.

I suppose there's a faint, but dying hope he'll still come...

all boils down to how Bucks negotiating skills are/ or how well he can make pompey prospect look shit

they are odds on for relegation but will that really bother smith

clauski

by clauski » 25 Aug 2009 23:56

One thing that may go in our favour is that Paul Hart doesn't come across to me as a particularly optimistic, charismatic or engaging fellow so maybe Smith will side with BR after all...

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 25 Aug 2009 23:57

clauski One thing that may go in our favour is that Paul Hart doesn't come across to me as a particularly optimistic, charismatic or engaging fellow so maybe Smith will side with BR after all...

£25k and be a bit player in the Premiership
£10k and be a regular player in the Championship

Remember you're 29 years old.....

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 25 Aug 2009 23:57

clauski One thing that may go in our favour is that Paul Hart doesn't come across to me as a particularly optimistic, charismatic or engaging fellow so maybe Smith will side with BR after all...

I'm sure doubling the wages offer from RFC will smooth this over

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 25 Aug 2009 23:58

TBM

£25k and be a bit player in the Premiership
£10k and be a regular player in the Championship

Remember you're 29 years old.....

Optimism =/= success.
Charisma =/= success.
Engagement =/= success.

All three suitably demonstrated by our chief.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 25 Aug 2009 23:59

The whole year inn

I thought they were supposed to have no money?

I know I'm clutching at straws...

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 25 Aug 2009 23:59

Sarah Star
The whole year inn

I thought they were supposed to have no money?

I know I'm clutching at straws...

They've just signed a £4m striker so they've got it from somewhere...........remember the takeover is almost complete.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 26 Aug 2009 00:00

Forest Gump According to Sky he's considering a move to Pompey. So now we no how we are rated; well behind the team tipped as almost certain to be relegated.

The fact that he's considering a move to Pompey tells you we are rated well below them does it?

I never cease to be amazed at how the brains of half-wit humans can jump to such brilliant conclusions.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 26 Aug 2009 00:06

Dirk Gently
That Friday Feeling

What did he say?

More or less that nothing's a done deal and wait and see what happens tomorrow. I'm sure he'll be on the blower to his mate TS as we speak.

"Tommy had a medical at Reading yesterday which he passed easily. We had agreed a fee with Watford and personal terms with Tommy.

"He was on his way to the club to sign the forms when he was told that Watford had accepted a higher offer from Portsmouth. I respect his decision to take stock by talking to them. He has turned down moves to other clubs because he wants to come here.

"His agent is away at the moment so communication is difficult. It happened late in the afternoon and I had to concentrate on this game, so we will see what tomorrow brings."

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 26 Aug 2009 00:08

Royal Rother
Forest Gump According to Sky he's considering a move to Pompey. So now we no how we are rated; well behind the team tipped as almost certain to be relegated.

The fact that he's considering a move to Pompey tells you we are rated well below them does it?

I never cease to be amazed at how the brains of half-wit humans can jump to such brilliant conclusions.

Indeed. At worst Pompey will be in the championship next season.

At best, so will we.

Given they'd offer double the money we'd offer, it's not exactly difficult to see why he'd prefer to go there. It's not as if his agent would exactly be advising him to sign for us either.

2326 posts