Tommy Smith - Gazumped by Pompey - Thread

2326 posts
Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: The Tommy Smith Transfer Failure Thread

by Royal Rother » 26 Aug 2009 00:11

Tim Dellor asked him if he thought Watford had caused the problem for us but he said he didn't feel they had done anything wrong.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 26 Aug 2009 00:12

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Royal Rother
Forest Gump According to Sky he's considering a move to Pompey. So now we no how we are rated; well behind the team tipped as almost certain to be relegated.

The fact that he's considering a move to Pompey tells you we are rated well below them does it?

I never cease to be amazed at how the brains of half-wit humans can jump to such brilliant conclusions.

Indeed. At worst Pompey will be in the championship next season.

At best, so will we.

Given they'd offer double the money we'd offer, it's not exactly difficult to see why he'd prefer to go there. It's not as if his agent would exactly be advising him to sign for us either.

Although TS has already turned down offers from Wolves and Sheffield Utd which would have given him more money than he would get with us. Until this afternoon it appeared that his motivation wasn't completely financial....

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 26 Aug 2009 00:12

Platypuss
"Tommy had a medical at Reading yesterday which he passed easily. We had agreed a fee with Watford and personal terms with Tommy.

"He was on his way to the club to sign the forms when he was told that Watford had accepted a higher offer from Portsmouth. I respect his decision to take stock by talking to them. He has turned down moves to other clubs because he wants to come here.

"His agent is away at the moment so communication is difficult. It happened late in the afternoon and I had to concentrate on this game, so we will see what tomorrow brings."

I didn't hear this.....where was this said?

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 26 Aug 2009 00:13

I'm bored now.

Sign somebody from Cork City. No 8 will do : http://www.corkcityfc.ie/main.php?actio ... Name=squad

Failing that Brentford have a Hunt....http://www.brentfordfc.co.uk/page/First ... 46,00.html

Easy this Director of Football thing!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 26 Aug 2009 00:15

TBM
Platypuss
"Tommy had a medical at Reading yesterday which he passed easily. We had agreed a fee with Watford and personal terms with Tommy.

"He was on his way to the club to sign the forms when he was told that Watford had accepted a higher offer from Portsmouth. I respect his decision to take stock by talking to them. He has turned down moves to other clubs because he wants to come here.

"His agent is away at the moment so communication is difficult. It happened late in the afternoon and I had to concentrate on this game, so we will see what tomorrow brings."

I didn't hear this.....where was this said?

BBCRB at about 10.30 pm

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 26 Aug 2009 00:23

Rev Algenon Stickleback H Given they'd offer double the money we'd offer, it's not exactly difficult to see why he'd prefer to go there.

Not sure it would be double the money - I rather suspect that, whatever the new structure of Pompey ends up being, the Board will be pretty damned prudent in its financial dealings in the future, and paying 29 year old guys, who have never quite made it in the PL in the past, a heavy salary is unlikely to fit the model needed to balance the books.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 26 Aug 2009 01:05

#

WFC fan
(Unregistered User)
Aug 25 09 18:59
Our Ref: 4971
Use the ref number if you need to report this comment

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Report this comment
#

mossy
(Unregistered User)
Aug 25 09 19:13
Our Ref: 4972

Great news! Brenda has been taught a lesson,

Report this comment
#

ivydene
(Unregistered User)
Aug 25 09 19:21
Our Ref: 4973

I have known brendan for twenty years and none of this surprises me he is full of rubish and never actually achieves it.He should learn to shut his mouth and remember what people really know about him.

Report this comment
#

Sideways
(Unregistered User)
Aug 25 09 19:52
Our Ref: 4975

I'm pleased if Rodgers gets shafted the same way he treated his previous employers.

However if Smith did agree to sign and then reneges on that then he is just as bad.

A sorry episode all around.

Report this comment
#

HornetJJ
(Unregistered User)
Aug 25 09 19:54
Our Ref: 4976

Ha ha ha! Absolutely priceless. What goes around comes around.

Report this comment
#

aussihornet
(Unregistered User)
Aug 25 09 20:00
Our Ref: 4977

Im a watford fan, and never really voice my opinions, however this just shows brendan for who he is. if he gave watford another year then went to reading, it would'ave been fine, however he's rushed over to reading with no proper plan, and pinned his hopes of landing Tamas Prisken, who then went to Ipswich and Tommy Smith, who was supposidly brendans top target,then should go to pompey. I like Reading as a club, and so do many other watford supporters, yet brendan has managed to leave two teams in the mire for this season, just typical of this man. hope he gets sacked, then Reading to well from then!

Report this comment
#

yellow army
(Unregistered User)
Aug 25 09 20:24
Our Ref: 4978

Absolute Quality. Losing Tommy to a premiership side is much more bearable than a sideways move to a club who have acted shamefully and with no respect for another club in both this and the managerial saga. Reading deserve everything they get and I hope this leaves no time for a decent alternative striker to be found and their season is spent down the bottom of the league. This is all karma after the ghost goal, stealing our manager and now taking this p*ss with derisory offers for tommy. You dont deserve him, but you sure as hell deserve rogers.

Report this comment
#

yellow army
(Unregistered User)
Aug 25 09 20:28
Our Ref: 4979

Absolute Quality. Losing Tommy to a premiership side is much more bearable than a sideways move to a club who have acted shamefully and with no respect for another club in both this and the managerial saga. Reading deserve everything they get and I hope this leaves no time for a decent alternative striker to be found and their season is spent down the bottom of the league. This is all karma after the ghost goal, stealing our manager and now taking this p*ss with derisory offers for tommy. You dont deserve him, but you sure as hell deserve rogers.

Report this comment
#

Surbiton Ian
(Unregistered User)
Aug 25 09 20:38
Our Ref: 4980

There is some justice in the world! Well done to Tommy for stepping up rather than sideways and not playing for the untrustworthy liar that is Brendan Rodgers. Here's hoping he gets the sack before Christmas and Reading can go back to being a club I actually like! I'll be there next month to boo Rodgers and hopefully see the Hornets turn him over. This is nothing against Reading, just against a man who said anyone linking him with the Reading post was 'questioning his loyalty and integrity.' He clearly has neither and I have no respect for the man. Rock on Tommy!

Report this comment
#

Beds Horn
(Unregistered User)
Aug 25 09 20:46
Our Ref: 4981

Disappointed, let-down, shafted, betrayed. I suppose it's inevitable really. Rodgers treated Watford and it's supporters abysmaly. Now it's your turn to see how it feels.

I really hope your other transfer targets do the same and decide that this guy really is not someone to be associated with.

I now just hope that your poor start continues and Rodgers is sacked in a few weeks.

RODGERS OUT - RODGERS OUT - RODGERS OUT

Report this comment
#

Jose Mourinho
(Unregistered User)
Aug 25 09 20:48
Our Ref: 4983

Brendan, I tell you do things right and you be a success, This is bad day for you, caralho!

Report this comment
#

WFC Hornet
(Unregistered User)
Aug 25 09 21:09
Our Ref: 4985

If Reading are deserate for a Striker how about Nathan Ellington, Rodgers knows him and I'm sure you can get him for a real good price.

Report this comment
#

WFC Hornet
(Unregistered User)
Aug 25 09 21:19
Our Ref: 4986

If Reading are deserate for a Striker how about Nathan Ellington, Rodgers knows him and I'm sure you can get him for a real good price.

Report this comment
#

WFC Hornet
(Unregistered User)
Aug 25 09 21:37
Our Ref: 4987

Report this comment
#

WFC Hornet
(Unregistered User)
Aug 25 09 21:52
Our Ref: 4988

Report this comment
#

D.Unstable
(Unregistered User)
Aug 25 09 21:56
Our Ref: 4989

Rodgers, you now know what it is like to be told one thing and then find out they mean another. You are useless and have even been knocked out of the mickey mouse cup.

Can't wait to hear your press conference.

You will soon be sacked and have nowhere to go. You can have Nathan Ellington for 1.8M after ramadam.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 26 Aug 2009 01:15

Call me naive but I still expect Smith to sign for us.

If not, then Snodgrass of Leeds would be my next target.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 26 Aug 2009 01:57

Tisdale of Exeter looks good

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 26 Aug 2009 04:38

winchester_royal Call me naive but I still expect Smith to sign for us.

I agree...

The travel from Watford to Portsmouth is too far....

gonesy

by gonesy » 26 Aug 2009 06:00

Dirk Gently Although TS has already turned down offers from Wolves and Sheffield Utd which would have given him more money than he would get with us. Until this afternoon it appeared that his motivation wasn't completely financial....

He wanted to stay in the South. That's why Portsmouth is viable and the other clubs weren't...

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 26 Aug 2009 06:50

Platypuss
Dirk Gently
More or less that nothing's a done deal and wait and see what happens tomorrow. I'm sure he'll be on the blower to his mate TS as we speak.

Had our tight-*rsed, egotistical barsteward of a chairman released funds earlier, Portsmouth wouldn't have been in a position to hijack the deal. Maybe now the disciples of Madejski will realise that their emperor has been wearing distinctly transparent clothing since our first season in the Premiership.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 26 Aug 2009 08:13

winchester_royal Call me naive but I still expect Smith to sign for us.

He's just signed a new contract.
Leeds have won 4 out of 4.

Can't see us having the required pulling power.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 26 Aug 2009 08:16

A little more from last night:

"I respect Tommy and his decision," added Rodgers. "He needs to take stock of things on the basis that he and I have a terrific relationship.

"He has turned down moves because he wants to come here to play, and that may still well be the case.

"It's just all happened so late and I had to put my mind on the (Barnsley) game and players' preparation which is very important.

"At this moment, we have a deal agreed with Watford which is not complete until Tommy signs."

And Rodgers spoke of just how close Royals came to getting their man.

"We had agreed a deal with Watford, he had a medical and passed no problem," Rodgers explained.

"His agent is away in America so we were doing it long-distance, over the phone. That was organised and sorted.

"Then Tommy was on his way here this afternoon (Tuesday) to sign. But at the very last minute there was a higher bid from Portsmouth.

"In that period of him arriving here to put pen to paper Watford have accepted a bigger fee."

But he stressed: "Watford have accepted but Tommy has not accepted yet."

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 26 Aug 2009 08:24

The plot thickens..................

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 26 Aug 2009 08:26

SkySports transfer watch:

08.06 Watford manager Malky Mackay confirmed that striker Tommy Smith remains in talks with Portsmouth and Reading after the Hornets' Carling Cup defeat at Leeds.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 26 Aug 2009 08:36

Come on Tommy, give yourself the weekend to mull it over and we can get this thread to 100 pages.

07RFC

by 07RFC » 26 Aug 2009 08:43

Vision Come on Tommy, give yourself the weekend to mull it over and we can get this thread to 100 pages.

add another twist, and we could be there by tonight :wink:

Baines
Hob Nob Regular

by Baines » 26 Aug 2009 08:48

Reckon we could get it done before the weekend. I was going to knock off a few more pages just by posting the names of other clubs at which he's having a medical.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 26 Aug 2009 08:49

Royal Rother
clauski And of course the fact that NO other players have been touted at all so most likely we will have a couple of panic buys over the next week that could prove even more costly.

That's a FACT is it? :lol:

Like the rest of us as far as what goes on behind the scenes you know absolutely fcuk all.
If we're in the process of also signing one or two other players, why do we wait until the last week of the transfer window? Of course we're not in for anyone else. We'll go and buy a couple of journeymen now - if they'll deign to come to us in our present condition.

2326 posts