Tommy Smith - Gazumped by Pompey - Thread

2326 posts
brighton_royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Tommy Smith Transfer Failure Thread

by brighton_royal » 26 Aug 2009 09:41

Baines
Ups and Downs
southbank1871 I have it on good authority that he read this thread on his Blackberry on the way to Reading yesterday which is why he's decided not to join us.

Are you suggesting this 89 page thread has made us come across as needy and desperate?

The :lol: of football clubs.

*RFC is a jolly nice football club that is not at all needy and desperate
Last edited by brighton_royal on 27 Oct 2009 19:12, edited 2 times in total.

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 26 Aug 2009 09:45

*Brendan can't believe what Tommy has done to him. You said you wanted to be with me, you lying bastard!!!

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 26 Aug 2009 09:47

Ups and Downs *Brendan can't believe what Tommy has done to him. You said you wanted to be with me, you lying bastard!!!

Jimmy Russo likes this

royalrose

by royalrose » 26 Aug 2009 10:04

If our bid was accepted, Then Why did Portsmouth bid more why not the same amount and save some of thier money?

No wonder they are in a bad way financially.

Mr Controversial

by Mr Controversial » 26 Aug 2009 10:06

I have been thinking about possible outcomes between now and the end of transfer window and although there are hundreds of possible outcomes - this is what I see happening....

RFC dont get TS, in fact RFC dont get anyone of "note".
Brendan Rogers decides to quit and nearly beats Coppells record at Man City.
We are left managerless and playerless
No manager will come to Reading
No player will come to Reading
We appoint Kevin Dillon
We get relegated
5 year plan to get in to Premiership turns in to a 5 year plan to regain Championship status.
No one will want to buy RFC from SJM so we will be stuck with him
Royal Rother will eventually remove his RTS

Mr C

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 26 Aug 2009 10:07

unlucky reading, serves you right for shooting your mouths off before the deal was done
of course he'll take prem footy over us, regardless of wages-hes 28 and may not get another chance

LOL @ hes turned down other clubs cos he wants to be with Brendan

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 26 Aug 2009 10:09

Most importanly why was the club fannying about for the 6 weeks or so after Sheff Utd set the benchmark bid instead of just going straight back to match it, as quite obviously Watford weren't going to set less once the value was known.

Result now is all are eggs have been in one basket and we have to identify replacements in the next few days and pay top whack to get them.

Good call RFC - NOT.

Dorset-Knob

by Dorset-Knob » 26 Aug 2009 10:15

During his alleged 'medical' at the Madstad TS was obliged to answer a series of intelligence test questions, one of which was, "Imagine you are a 29 year old footballer invited to join one of two clubs, club (a) pays double the salary, in a higher profile league than club (b) you must answer (a) or (b) Seems like he passed the intelligence test with flying colours! :shock:

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 26 Aug 2009 10:16

Barry the bird boggler Most importanly why was the club fannying about for the 6 weeks or so after Sheff Utd set the benchmark bid instead of just going straight back to match it, as quite obviously Watford weren't going to set less once the value was known.

Result now is all are eggs have been in one basket and we have to identify replacements in the next few days and pay top whack to get them.

Good call RFC - NOT.
And yet the likes of RR and Jay INSIST that we have other people lined up - and as I asked of RR, if that is the case, why wait until the last few days of a transfer window to get them signed. I do wonder whether Brendan was given a set sum of money to play with - and had to wait to see how much of it would have to go on TS before he could see if he could afford anyone else. If TS isn't coming here, he has about 5 days to secure maybe 2 £1 million-ish players, but as has been said, why would anyone want to come to us at this moment in time? We'll end up getting non-league players at this rate. :|

yuomi

by yuomi » 26 Aug 2009 10:25

Royal Lady
Barry the bird boggler Most importanly why was the club fannying about for the 6 weeks or so after Sheff Utd set the benchmark bid instead of just going straight back to match it, as quite obviously Watford weren't going to set less once the value was known.

Good call RFC - NOT.
And yet the likes of RR and Jay INSIST that we have other people lined up - and as I asked of RR, if that is the case, why wait until the last few days of a transfer window to get them signed. I do wonder whether Brendan was given a set sum of money to play with - and had to wait to see how much of it would have to go on TS before he could see if he could afford anyone else. If TS isn't coming here, he has about 5 days to secure maybe 2 £1 million-ish players, but as has been said, why would anyone want to come to us at this moment in time? We'll end up getting non-league players at this rate. :|

+1.

at the very least every half-decent club we approach will now smell our fear and add a premium based on the fact that we have been very publically mugged. against the backdrop of our poor start to the season we are there for the taking. we wont get value for money now, unless we can enaction the release clause of some low div player...who may well bring their own issues. i cant help thinking that this seasons SO FAR is playing out as a worst case scenario. BR doesnt know how to sign players, breaking his silence to the media that early was a rookie mistake, especially in light of what went before it.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 Aug 2009 10:29

Royal Lady

Good call RFC - NOT.

In the EP, BR has said they have other deals lined up but want to get this one "over the line" first.

Deals can get done in hours at this time of the window, so the time left isn't that much of a worry compared to why we haven't done much (apparently) as yet.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

Re: The Unruined Tommy Smith RUMOUR Thread

by Alan Partridge » 26 Aug 2009 10:34

Royal Rother
floyd__streete
Royal Rother We win, we get our man. (Presumably.)

They win, they get the big fee.

Everyone's happy.

Except Reading FC supporters of course who will look for the big negative.

http://www.watfordfc.com/page/NewsDetai ... 22,00.html

:lol:

Don't you just love it when a cheap shot scores an own goal?

Must have been disallowed

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 26 Aug 2009 10:35

Having a medical at Pompey...

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 26 Aug 2009 10:36

Replays show it crossed the line.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 26 Aug 2009 10:37

Stranded
Royal Lady

Good call RFC - NOT.

In the EP, BR has said they have other deals lined up but want to get this one "over the line" first.

Deals can get done in hours at this time of the window, so the time left isn't that much of a worry compared to why we haven't done much (apparently) as yet.
I still don't understand, if you've got other deals "lined up" why it's so important to get the Smith one sorted first - unless it's a question of how much money you can spend on the other deals, having finally secured Smith.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 26 Aug 2009 10:38

Royal Rother Replays show it crossed the line.

Shambles really aint it Rother?

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 26 Aug 2009 10:41

Bill Oddie's Beard Having a medical at Pompey...

signing on the dotted line at pompey

The Echo

by The Echo » 26 Aug 2009 10:43

What a complete shambles. We only have ourselves to blame.

The Silk

by The Silk » 26 Aug 2009 10:45

Yellow banner on SSN now saying he's having medical.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 26 Aug 2009 10:46

Royal Lady

Good call RFC - NOT.

For Gawd's sake, I haven't said anything of the sort - I have simply said that someone stating it as a FACT that we haven't got anyone else lined up, is talking bollocks as they cannot possibly know that.

People posting their guesswork as FACTS are fools.

FACT.

2326 posts