375 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Summer Rebuild 2016/2017

by Ian Royal » 28 Jul 2016 18:15

Maneki Neko
3-4 more to come in!

another complete rebuild in a single summer. :|
and how does the yoof stuff tie in with buying an entire new team of first team growdups?

Learnt nuffink haven't they. :cry:

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 28 Jul 2016 18:43

Well we need some full back cover, a centre back and a striker.

There's 4 for you right there. Still plenty of opportunities for the yoof even if they come in, you need to have some options because if it turns out the youth are shit we're fcuked until January.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 28 Jul 2016 19:27

LB / CB Cover. Get Moore in. Then someone like Blackett would be 'OK' but would prefer an Ekstrand or Smith. Can Reach play LB (that ship may have sailed)?

Plus a striker. Someone like Che Adams (or in an ideal world Jon Kodija, Nahki Wells or Connor Wickham :wink: )

Plus VDV <3

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Jul 2016 08:13

RoyalJones I think we need 4 more signings:
a left back
a centre back
a right back
a striker

Actually think we need :

full back > Cameron Borthwick-Jackson
centre back > Liam Moore (should Leicester ever make a decision)
striker > Tim Mavatz?
left wing - Adam Reach

+ van der Vaaart if fit enough ?

Any signs though of any other clubs wanting to buy some of our players... seems Bournemouth have seen the error of their ways and lost interest in any/all of Norwood, Obita, Cooper and Gunter's move to anyone who'll have him hasn't appeared and as for that nebulous rumour of Williams to Newcastle....

Going to be fun trying to keep a squad that size settled and happy.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 29 Jul 2016 09:46

We don't really need to sign cover, it's more like we need to sign starting XI players to improve on what we have.

Hopefully that's what they're trying to do or we won't get too much better.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 29 Jul 2016 09:58

Hoop Blah We don't really need to sign cover, it's more like we need to sign starting XI players to improve on what we have.

Hopefully that's what they're trying to do or we won't get too much better.

Unless an opportunity comes up to get someone better in for a decent price, I think we only need to buy cover for the full back positions as I don't think we can improve on the Gunter/Obita pairing at this level without spending a lot.

Definitely need a starting XI CB and ST though.

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 29 Jul 2016 13:55

Some quality young players being let go at United.

Mike Anstead Verified account ‏@mike_anstead
Januzaj, B-Jackson, Fosu-Mensah, Pereira, McNair, Blackett, Wilson, Keane all told to find new clubs #mufc

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 29 Jul 2016 13:59

Would take Wilson, we need a striker.

Fosu-Mensah is a good player and would take him in a heartbeat too but I expect he will go to a lower Prem team. Utd fans not happy he's off either http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/tra ... -over-fosu

Royal1988

by Royal1988 » 29 Jul 2016 18:13

In today's part of Charlie Watts' interview with Brian Tevreden over on Get Reading, I found this Interesting - and slightly surprising.
CW: So what about other departures. Do you need to sell anyone else?

BT: No, we don’t need to sell. People think we do, but we don’t. For now, we’re not planning on selling anyone.

CW: I think everyone has been expecting the big name players who are in the final year of their contracts, McCleary, Williams, Norwood, to leave this summer.

BT: You never know in football. Maybe someone comes in my office and tells me they want to leave, maybe we get an official offer for someone tomorrow - but in my vision right now, we’re not going to sell anybody.

CW: So are there contract talks planned with those players?

Yes.

I was pretty much expecting at least two if them to go this Summer, but unless any of those players want to leave, it looks like they may well be here until at least January.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Jul 2016 18:17

Royal1988 In today's part of Charlie Watts' interview with Brian Tevreden over on Get Reading, I found this Interesting - and slightly surprising.
CW: So what about other departures. Do you need to sell anyone else?

BT: No, we don’t need to sell. People think we do, but we don’t. For now, we’re not planning on selling anyone.

CW: I think everyone has been expecting the big name players who are in the final year of their contracts, McCleary, Williams, Norwood, to leave this summer.

BT: You never know in football. Maybe someone comes in my office and tells me they want to leave, maybe we get an official offer for someone tomorrow - but in my vision right now, we’re not going to sell anybody.

CW: So are there contract talks planned with those players?

Yes.

I was pretty much expecting at least two if them to go this Summer, but unless any of those players want to leave, it looks like they may well be here until at least January.

ok, meh, YAY!

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 29 Jul 2016 23:27

Forget getting cover for right back, Watson looks capable as back up. Keown and Dickie will also be alright as back up if both Gunter and Watson are unavailable. Gunter looked rubbish tonight but that's probably because he joined the squad late after Euro 2016.

We need a left back though however because only Obita (and maybe Jules) can play there. Borthwick Jackson could be a good signing.

A striker who has strength, pace and finishing ability is needed as well.

Liam Moore could be handy as a first choice centre back

Van der Vaart could also come in.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Jul 2016 23:49

RoyalJones Forget getting cover for right back, Watson looks capable as back up. Keown and Dickie will also be alright as back up if both Gunter and Watson are unavailable. Gunter looked rubbish tonight but that's probably because he joined the squad late after Euro 2016.

We need a left back though however because only Obita (and maybe Jules) can play there. Borthwick Jackson could be a good signing.

What was his excuse for most of last season? :wink:

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 30 Jul 2016 00:32

Ian Royal
RoyalJones Forget getting cover for right back, Watson looks capable as back up. Keown and Dickie will also be alright as back up if both Gunter and Watson are unavailable. Gunter looked rubbish tonight but that's probably because he joined the squad late after Euro 2016.

He's shit?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Jul 2016 08:01

Obita looked much more of a problem than Gunter last night. Repeatedly had to rugby tackle his winger due to being caught out of position or simply out muscled.
Agree Watson looked steady in his 30 minute spell but wouldn't want to assume he's ready for regular games yet.
I'd like us to find a good out fashioned utility defender who can play across the whole back line. Then sign 4 of him....

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 30 Jul 2016 14:40

Nameless Obita looked much more of a problem than Gunter last night. Repeatedly had to rugby tackle his winger due to being caught out of position or simply out muscled.
Agree Watson looked steady in his 30 minute spell but wouldn't want to assume he's ready for regular games yet.
I'd like us to find a good out fashioned utility defender who can play across the whole back line. Then sign 4 of him....

I'm more worried about CB to be honest. Wasn't at yesterday's game but by all accounts VDB is not the answer!
Think Gunter can play on the left too? So you could end up with him on the left and Watson on the right?
Obita is a funny one - he got POTS I think when he was about Watsons age - has he gone backwards since then, or just stagnated? I wonder when a new player comes through, do we notice the good stuff more, and the bad stuff less - for a season or two. And then reality bites.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 30 Jul 2016 15:23

muirinho I'm more worried about CB to be honest. Wasn't at yesterday's game but by all accounts VDB is not the answer!

At the moment probably a question of needs must. Also gave Stam a chance to put Norwood, Williams and Evans on together.

Given the opposition VDB was ok. First time outing with McShane as well. Wasn't as if Bournemouth were running rings round us.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Jul 2016 16:24

muirinho
Nameless Obita looked much more of a problem than Gunter last night. Repeatedly had to rugby tackle his winger due to being caught out of position or simply out muscled.

I'm more worried about CB to be honest. Wasn't at yesterday's game but by all accounts VDB is not the answer!
Think Gunter can play on the left too? So you could end up with him on the left and Watson on the right?
Obita is a funny one - he got POTS I think when he was about Watsons age - has he gone backwards since then, or just stagnated? I wonder when a new player comes through, do we notice the good stuff more, and the bad stuff less - for a season or two. And then reality bites.

Obita won accolades for being a young winger who came in and played well in his debut season at left back for half a season with good protection from an excellent winger, having done ok at wing and occasionally midfield. Typically you wouldn't expect a young winger in his breakthrough season to put in consistently good performances at full back. Since then, it's become more accepted he's as much a full back as a winger, and he's older and more experienced, so expectations are higher. Plus he hasn't had a very good and experienced winger protecting him in the last two seasons.

He's ok, he's not really kicked on. But I suspect his heart lies further up the pitch in midfield. He still makes too many rash decisions and is a bit soft for a full back. But then isn't almost every full back these days.

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 31 Jul 2016 11:57

Ian Royal

*The last 4 seasons

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 31 Jul 2016 11:58

I can't help but get carried away with Watson though because he looked so promising

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 31 Jul 2016 11:58

CountryRoyal
Ian Royal

He's shit?

Can't disagree with that

375 posts