Rumour - Michael Johnson - season long loan.

JimmytheJim

Re: Rumour - Michael Johnson - season long loan.

by JimmytheJim » 17 Jun 2011 09:56

zero chance of this happening

kez on a wind-up.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 17 Jun 2011 10:02

like his millwall opening game one?

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 17 Jun 2011 11:10

Whilst I wouldn't turn down Michael Johnson I don't really trust Kes's throw it all at the wall and claim credit for which one sticks approach to rumours :lol:

Ferris
Hob Nob Regular

by Ferris » 17 Jun 2011 12:13

roadrunner
JRloyalroyal How do you know David Platt?

He doesn't. I'm hoping he means the Basketball player...

Do you mean Michael Jordan?

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 17 Jun 2011 12:15

Ferris
roadrunner
JRloyalroyal How do you know David Platt?

He doesn't. I'm hoping he means the Basketball player...

Do you mean Michael Jordan?

You mean we're not talking about Michael Jackson?

tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

by tomrfcurz » 17 Jun 2011 12:25

Obviously would be a great loan signing and a bit of a coup for us if it happened. But it wont. :cry:

loyalroyalsam

by loyalroyalsam » 17 Jun 2011 12:57

i wish.. :(

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 17 Jun 2011 16:28

he lost it after he broke the 200m world record in those gold spikes.

No from me well past it.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 17 Jun 2011 16:54

Focher he lost it after he broke the 200m world record in those gold spikes.

No from me well past it.

Anyone that retires because he knows no-one can beat him gets a 'YES' from me

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 18 Jun 2011 14:21

brendywendy like his millwall opening game one?

8)

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 07 Jul 2012 15:32

Just read this and it got me thinking:

http://m.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2012 ... pe=article

The lad is clearly a bit messed up right now and there's a fair chance City might be able to bomb him out over this. He seems like a huge liability but he's talked about as potentially being one of the great players of his generation in terms of ability.

Paul Merson, Tony Adams and Ray Parlour had the same demons as Johnson currently has but they managed to shake them off as much as possible to go on and have long and successful careers which their teams benefited hugely from.

I would love to see McDermott take Johnson under his wing to try and turn him in to our Paul Merson. The lad's obviously class but just needs a chance to find himself as a footballer rather than a superstar again.

200 miles from Manchester might just be enough distance for him to make the break he needs from his current situation. Worth a punt I reckon.

Blakey's Right Peg

by Blakey's Right Peg » 07 Jul 2012 16:20

I thought he was just desperately unlucky with injury, had no idea he was a drinker/gambler to boot.

dogzbollox

by dogzbollox » 07 Jul 2012 17:29

The article in the Gruniad linked by SKB is quite eye opening but as far as ''worth a punt'' goes sorry but I vehemently disagree.

We are Reading FC not Reading RC, id est Reading Football Club not Reading Rehabilitation Clinic, MJ may well be/have been (please delete as appropriate) an outstanding young player but, unfortunately he is now, in my opinion footballs equivalent of Road Kill - and we are not the clean-up crew. Reading are a newly promoted Premier League side and, as such require players that will slot straight into our 25 man squad.

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 08 Jul 2012 00:02

Arsenal were Adams' and Merson's clean up club and went on to win another title as a result. Not saying we'd win a title but we may just win a better place in the PL.

dogzbollox

by dogzbollox » 08 Jul 2012 10:30

Yes, but Arsenal were and still are an established Premiership club, my point is we're not...yet!

We could possibly have a punt on a player like this in a couple of seasons time if we remain in the PL but as it stands, like it or like it not we're odds on to get relegated so IMO we have to, in the first instance attract players to the club that will assist us to negate those odds. As a fledgling PL side we need players that are able to totally focus on the football side of their life not battle major personal demons at the same time.

I intend no disrespect towards the player because I know from experience how difficult overcoming these personal problems are - mine were similar to Mersons -so I genuinely wish Michael well with his issues.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 08 Jul 2012 11:07

Super Kevin Bremner! Arsenal were Adams' and Merson's clean up club and went on to win another title as a result. Not saying we'd win a title but we may just win a better place in the PL.

They both had made successful careers for themselves despite their demons before they and Arsenal did something about them.

I've always hoped Johnson would sort himself out as he really did look good, but I think it's his injuries as much as his lifestyle that's caused him the problems. The injuries, and inability to come back from them, have probably made his other problems a lot worse than they would've been if he'd stayed fit and fulfilled that early promise.

I'd love to say this was a good idea, but Sven tried it at Leicester and it didn't work so I can't see it working here I'm afraid.

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 08 Jul 2012 15:46

Hoop Blah
Super Kevin Bremner! Arsenal were Adams' and Merson's clean up club and went on to win another title as a result. Not saying we'd win a title but we may just win a better place in the PL.

They both had made successful careers for themselves despite their demons before they and Arsenal did something about them.

I've always hoped Johnson would sort himself out as he really did look good, but I think it's his injuries as much as his lifestyle that's caused him the problems. The injuries, and inability to come back from them, have probably made his other problems a lot worse than they would've been if he'd stayed fit and fulfilled that early promise.

I'd love to say this was a good idea, but Sven tried it at Leicester and it didn't work so I can't see it working here I'm afraid.

But Sven made a right mess of everything @ Leicester - so I wouldnt take that as a benchmark

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 09 Jul 2012 10:37

I remember the first time he emerged on to the scene think it was our last season in the prem wasn't it? Pretty sure this guy was banging one in every other game at one stage!

From what I remember he was very good at making runs through from the centre of midfield that created one on one opportunities for him. If we did get him and we got him back to his best he would be a very tidy player for us no doubt about it. Can't imagine he is worth that much now either.

Brian Mcdermott is the type of manager that would be able to manage injuries well. When I say this I talk about players like Hargreaves who have constantly suffered from them over the years. He would know how to use him and it might work with the players we have in our squad that can play in the centre of midfield.