RUMOUR - Simon Church

178 posts
West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Simon Church

by West Stand Flash » 14 Feb 2012 21:09

I'd drive him there myself. Please let it happen.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 14 Feb 2012 21:34

Send Le Fondre instead.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 15 Feb 2012 08:32

Makes perfect sense to me, Sheppard can come in and do a job on the bench and will be getting up to fitness by now, Church needs games and maybe to get away from the pressure of being under the spotlight at Reading.

Here for the KEBE

by Here for the KEBE » 20 Feb 2012 08:59

sandman Send Le Fondre instead.

Are you joking?!?!?! What's he done wrong? Both Le Fondre and Church are our top scorers and get nothing but criticism when in actual fact they are much better FOOTballers than Hunt! Check their strike rates and major contributions to games. Just because it's Hunt & Roberts at the moment, doesn't mean to say that's the best combination and I think around 80% of Reading fans would agree that they would prefer to see Alf start than Hunt.

However, I think Alf is more likely to go on loan - the only reason he got game time on fri night was because church wasn't on the bench- I can also imagine Alf getting more frustrated than church at not playing

Basingstoke Royal

by Basingstoke Royal » 20 Feb 2012 10:32

Here for the KEBE

Are you joking?!?!?! What's he done wrong? Both Le Fondre and Church are our top scorers and get nothing but criticism when in actual fact they are much better FOOTballers than Hunt! Check their strike rates and major contributions to games. Just because it's Hunt & Roberts at the moment, doesn't mean to say that's the best combination and I think around 80% of Reading fans would agree that they would prefer to see Alf start than Hunt.

However, I think Alf is more likely to go on loan - the only reason he got game time on fri night was because church wasn't on the bench- I can also imagine Alf getting more frustrated than church at not playing

Roberts - indispensible at the moment obviously.
Le Fondre is the best finisher we have. Agree with you - would like to see how the combination with Roberts works.
Hunt works hardest, wins headers, is strong and can finish.
Church.....I dont know what he adds, runs around a lot?

In my view, Church needs to go on loan to build his confidence and prove himself at a lower level - because for me he hasnt at any level of the game yet.

Cobi
Hob Nob Regular

by Cobi » 20 Feb 2012 10:34

Basingstoke Royal
Here for the KEBE

Roberts - indispensible at the moment obviously.
Le Fondre is the best finisher we have. Agree with you - would like to see how the combination with Roberts works.
Hunt works hardest, wins headers, is strong and can finish.
Church.....I dont know what he adds, runs around a lot?

In my view, Church needs to go on loan to build his confidence and prove himself at a lower level - because for me he hasnt at any level of the game yet.

Agree with you, but someone posted all the loans Church has had in L2 & L1 and he was terrible at all the clubs he went to. Maybe now he's more developed he might do a bit better but to be honest, he just doesn't look like he'll ever cut it as a striker. Certainly not at this level.

GSY-Royal

by GSY-Royal » 27 May 2012 16:29

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11688/7781886/

Sky Sports understands a number of Championship clubs are chasing Reading striker Simon Church.

Church, who is away on international duty with Wales for the weekend friendly with Mexico, is thought to be attracting the interest of the likes of Bolton, Leicester and Brighton.

The 23-year-old struggled to hold down a regular place in the Reading team last season and with the Royals expected to bolster their attacking options next season, Church could find himself pushed further down the pecking order.

Church, who made 19 starts in the Championship last season, netted seven goals last term to help Reading win promotion to the Premier League.

The highly-rated forward could be tempted to leave Reading this summer in search of regular first-team football and Bolton, Leicester and Brighton are all monitoring his situation at the Madejski Stadium.

The three clubs have all made striking reinforcements one of their top priorities in the transfer window as they look to mount promotion bids next season and Church figures highly on their wanted lists.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 27 May 2012 16:39

If there are clubs that believe he is a real catch, then sell while we can get the highest value for him.

Roberts, Le Fondre and Hunt are all ahead of Church, and we're looking at bringing in at least one striker, possibly two. Church has got to go. He's had more than long enough.

I would try and use Church and Morrison in any deal for Rhodes, plus cash.

royal67

by royal67 » 27 May 2012 17:22

GSY-Royal http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11688/7781886/

Sky Sports understands a number of Championship clubs are chasing Reading striker Simon Church.

Church, who is away on international duty with Wales for the weekend friendly with Mexico, is thought to be attracting the interest of the likes of Bolton, Leicester and Brighton.

The 23-year-old struggled to hold down a regular place in the Reading team last season and with the Royals expected to bolster their attacking options next season, Church could find himself pushed further down the pecking order.

Church, who made 19 starts in the Championship last season, netted seven goals last term to help Reading win promotion to the Premier League.
[i]
The highly-rated
forward could be tempted to leave Reading this summer in search of regular first-team football and Bolton, Leicester and Brighton are all monitoring his situation at the Madejski Stadium.

The three clubs have all made striking reinforcements one of their top priorities in the transfer window as they look to mount promotion bids next season and Church figures highly on their wanted lists.[/i]

By who....??

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: RUMOUR - Simon Church

by sandman » 27 May 2012 17:24

By people who don't need a scapegoat.

royal67

by royal67 » 27 May 2012 17:51

sandman By people who don't need a scapegoat.

Perhaps.... I was asking a genuine question though..... I can't recall seeing any glowing reports about Church from anywhere other than our own club. I think it's fair to say that he is likely to be 4th or 5th choice striker come the start of the new season. I am all for the development of home grown talent and I think that Reading are managing this process better than a lot of clubs. There has to be a point however when the club has to make a call as to whether or not a player that they have developed and brought through the ranks can step up to the plate and deliver. I am not a Church hater by any stretch of the imagination but to be fair to him, I can't see him developing his career much further with Reading. He simply doesn't get enough minutes on the pitch to allow him to improve. That isn't fair on him but the manager must have his reasons. I don't see him playing more than a bit part in the premier league.......
If he does decide to leave then fair play to him, perhaps he'll find a team that'll give him a decent number of starts an he'll establish himself as a first choice striker somewhere....

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 27 May 2012 18:03

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

royalsroyalsroyals92

by royalsroyalsroyals92 » 27 May 2012 18:13

The thing I hate about church, in his first season he looked like a real prospect and someone with real potential, but since then he's been so poor. It is frustrating that someone can finish gaols brilliantly like against Leeds, and then head over an open goal In the centre of the six yard box.
Whenever I see him play I think please just leave nowadays - but there is still a stupid part of me that only wants him sent out on loan so we can really see if he will ever deliver.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 27 May 2012 18:20

blueroyals

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Still should.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 27 May 2012 18:26

royalsroyalsroyals92 The thing I hate about church, in his first season he looked like a real prospect and someone with real potential, but since then he's been so poor. It is frustrating that someone can finish gaols brilliantly like against Leeds, and then head over an open goal In the centre of the six yard box.
Whenever I see him play I think please just leave nowadays - but there is still a stupid part of me that only wants him sent out on loan so we can really see if he will ever deliver.

+1 spot on for the 1st bit. I really don't want to see him in a Reading shirt at the moment, although he has had a couple of flashes. There comes a point though, he's got the fans on his back and doesn't look like being up to the step up. I think it's time for him to move on.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 27 May 2012 19:38

Along with McCarthy Le Fondre is the most overrated player in the squad and a few lucky tap ins doesn't change that. In fact Le Fondre is almost as overrated as Jamie Cureton was. Which probably explains why you people see the same qualities in him that you did in Cureton.

There were players last season that scored goals that were just as important as Le Fondre but they don't get the praise he does because they weren't scored at the end of the season. Where would we have been without Manset's goals against Millwall and Bristol City? What about Church's goal against Leeds? The crucial opener against Doncaster that lifted the team immediately and enbled them to become the ruthless winning machine it became? If it wasn't for Le Fondre's reckless challenge on the keeper at Selhurst Park and his glaring miss at Bloomfield Road we'd have been promoted earlier than we were.

Any poor performances Church had last season were the fault of you people and your constant badgering and intimidation. How do you think a player feels when his own fan get on his back with non-stop jibes? There is a guy near me who is constantly screaming and shouting abuse at Church yet whenever he has left 15 minutes before the end Church's confidence immediately lifts and he usually scores. That's the effect you people have and if he does move I'm sure he'll be able to become the very good player that he has shown he can be.

RockheadRumple

by RockheadRumple » 27 May 2012 19:52

I like Church as a guy, he seems nice and he's a Reading fan and all but I don't see him being an option for us in the premier league. I don't think it's even so much down to his ability (albeit a little); he just doesn't work in a 4-4-2 (and I'm not advocating a change in formation, 4-4-2 is my favourite formation and has been for a long time). Lets say he went to Birmingham or Bolton, I think he'd be scoring quite a few with a player like Burke or Mark Davies behind him, just like he did when Gylfi and he played together.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 27 May 2012 20:45

sandman Along with McCarthy Le Fondre is the most overrated player in the squad and a few lucky tap ins doesn't change that. In fact Le Fondre is almost as overrated as Jamie Cureton was. Which probably explains why you people see the same qualities in him that you did in Cureton.

There were players last season that scored goals that were just as important as Le Fondre but they don't get the praise he does because they weren't scored at the end of the season. Where would we have been without Manset's goals against Millwall and Bristol City? What about Church's goal against Leeds? The crucial opener against Doncaster that lifted the team immediately and enbled them to become the ruthless winning machine it became? If it wasn't for Le Fondre's reckless challenge on the keeper at Selhurst Park and his glaring miss at Bloomfield Road we'd have been promoted earlier than we were.

Any poor performances Church had last season were the fault of you people and your constant badgering and intimidation. How do you think a player feels when his own fan get on his back with non-stop jibes? There is a guy near me who is constantly screaming and shouting abuse at Church yet whenever he has left 15 minutes before the end Church's confidence immediately lifts and he usually scores. That's the effect you people have and if he does move I'm sure he'll be able to become the very good player that he has shown he can be.

The crucial tap-in opener created by Le Fondre not giving up a lost cause, inducing the mistake from the goalkeeper.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 27 May 2012 20:47

sandman Along with McCarthy Le Fondre is the most overrated player in the squad and a few lucky tap ins doesn't change that. In fact Le Fondre is almost as overrated as Jamie Cureton was. Which probably explains why you people see the same qualities in him that you did in Cureton.

Your post lost all credibility after first sentence and genuinely cannot be bothered to read the rest.

Lucky tap-ins -- Jesus Christ!

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 27 May 2012 20:49

"You people"... prat.

178 posts