SPACULATION - Chris Wood

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: SPACULATION - Chris Wood

by Pepe the Horseman » 30 Dec 2014 08:49

Tommio This rumour has popped up again in the sun. Reading, wolves and Derby interested in a loan until the end of the season. I'd happily take him, he's better and younger than Murray.

Half right.

GH Royal

by GH Royal » 30 Dec 2014 11:20

Pepe the Horseman
Tommio This rumour has popped up again in the sun. Reading, wolves and Derby interested in a loan until the end of the season. I'd happily take him, he's better and younger than Murray.

Half right.

:lol: Agreed. Younger, more potential, but currently an average Championship striker whereas Murray has proven himself to be a consistent 20 goal striker at Champ level.

But then look at Cox - slated at Forest for only being able to hit 5 goals in 39 league apps then 8 in 34 the next season, comes to us and he's on 8 in 23..
1 more goal and he'll of equalled his best goals for a season since when he was at West Brom during 09/10 which was 9 goals 28 apps.. Think certain players just suit certain teams better.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 30 Dec 2014 12:04

Clarke had him at WBA didn't he? So maybe.

Froomes

by Froomes » 30 Dec 2014 12:19

GH Royal :lol: Agreed. Younger, more potential, but currently an average Championship striker whereas Murray has proven himself to be a consistent 20 goal striker at Champ level.

I wouldn't call scoring 20+ goals twice in his career as consistent tbf.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 30 Dec 2014 12:36

I think Murray has only had the one good season in the Championship (20+ goals), but I wouldn't say he's unproven all the same.

As for Wood, he looks a little heavy to me, a bit like Connor Wickham, but I can't remember seeing him much over the last few years against us so I've not got much to base anything on.

I wouldn't get too excited about his scoring record but I could see him being a threat with his size.

GH Royal

by GH Royal » 30 Dec 2014 12:56

Froomes
GH Royal :lol: Agreed. Younger, more potential, but currently an average Championship striker whereas Murray has proven himself to be a consistent 20 goal striker at Champ level.

Okay, apologies for being wrong on that one saying he is a consistent 20 goal striker at Champ level, but for the two years he was at Palace in the Championship his league record was 79 apps 36 goals.. Pretty decent I'd say.

Anyway, I'd prefer Chris Wood just because age is on his side.

Froomes

by Froomes » 30 Dec 2014 13:07

He had one VERY good season for Palace in the Champ which makes his scoring record look better than it actually was.

Agree re Chris Wood, I'd rather we spent money on someone with a resale value and I'd be amazed if his wages will be as high as Murray's

GH Royal

by GH Royal » 30 Dec 2014 13:20

Froomes He had one VERY good season for Palace in the Champ which makes his scoring record look better than it actually was.

Agree re Chris Wood, I'd rather we spent money on someone with a resale value and I'd be amazed if his wages will be as high as Murray's

Agreed but it balances it out.
His 4 seasons with Brighton in League One were very consistent I'd say. In fairness the first year with Palace in the Championship (where you'd expect him to struggle a bit due to settling and the step up in quality) is the only real blip in an otherwise decent record, but he then went and bagged 30 goals in 42 apps the next season? Take from it what you will.. He then got injured and was with us and had a very respectable goalscoring record while here also.

I like Murray, very decent player and if he was a year or two younger I would go mad if we didn't sign him, as it is I dont think he's worth the money or risk.

RE Chris Wood, agree with the resale value. Should be cheap too as he hasn't been used and I'd imagine would be a slightly negative character in the dressing room as he isn't being played so they'll want to move him on. Wages should be cheap as he's still unproven really.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Dec 2014 16:20

Froomes

20 goals in one season is fairly rare, in multiple seasons its very rare.

Kitson, Curo, Butler, Caskey, Long, Sigurdsson and Morley are the only ones I can think of for us despite 18 years packed with top half finishes. six or seven seasons out of 18.

That's 5 strikers. But you wouldn't turn down Forster, Doyle, NHunt in their prime just because they never hit 20(i think).

Froomes

by Froomes » 30 Dec 2014 16:30

20 goals in a season isn't that rare, 8 players managed it last season in the Championship, 6 managed it the year before that. And that number grows massively if you include the other English leagues.

Didn't say I'd turn Murray down merely said Murray isn't a consistent 20 goal a season striker, this is backed up by the fact that he's only managed it twice, once for Palace in the Championship and once for Brighton in League one.

Murray is an alright striker and his game is based on more than just goals, but his record isn't as good as people on here are trying to suggest. Take away his ONE very good season for Palace and his record is fairly mediocre.

And for what it's worth if N Hunt was going to cost us £1.25m+ as well as £25k a week for what would probably be 2 seasons at best then yes I would turn him down. That money could be better spent elsewhere IMO.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Dec 2014 19:12

That's pretty rare given there are 24 clubs and each will have 1-3 strikers playing regularly.

8 (an unusually high number from seasons I've noticed before) out of 48? S'pretty rare.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 31 Dec 2014 19:02

Froomes Agree re Chris Wood, I'd rather we spent money on someone with a resale value and I'd be amazed if his wages will be as high as Murray's

Supposedly available on loan and would be a decent option IMO which would give us breathing space to look longer term in the summer when some of the high earners have been moved on.

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 31 Dec 2014 22:21

Signed. Undisclosed fee.

Tommio

by Tommio » 31 Dec 2014 22:57

Elm Park Pasty Signed. Undisclosed fee.

Top notch banter

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 31 Dec 2014 23:34

Tommio

Top notch banter

Think i fell for a New Years fool on Twitter :oops:

Tommio

by Tommio » 31 Dec 2014 23:35

Elm Park Pasty
Tommio

Top notch banter

Think i fell for a New Years fool on Twitter :oops:

At least you've learnt your lesson, don't believe anything on Twitter aha. Even if we did get him it'd be a loan