Summer Rebuild 2016/2017

375 posts
RoyalJones

Re: Summer Rebuild 2016/2017

by RoyalJones » 05 May 2016 15:45

Royal Ginger
RoyalJones
Royal Ginger He was sold.

However, even without Sa still being here we could generate quite a bit of income with player sales with the likes of Cooper and Williams likely to head out the door amongst others. Don't forget we still have Blackman's money and Hector's to play about with. Pointless though if the Thais are going to provide a minimal budget for us this summer and just take the income for themselves.

Meh, I would. I don't see the appeal in a bottomless money pit. They supposedly saved the club from administration meaning they essentially paid for someone else's mistakes. I'd want my money back, and don't begrudge them getting theirs.

Yeah I can understand that the Thais are keeping some of the revenue themselves because they don't sound like they're too loaded with money. However, if you buy a football club, it only works if you buy it because you are passionate about the football club, not for the money, this is what I am concerned about with the Thais because it appears they know little about football.

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 05 May 2016 15:51

Maneki Neko their only hope to make money is to build infrastructure, do enough in the transfer market to keep us solvent and keep us in the championship, and hope that our academy can eventually propel us to the premiere league.

SJMs aren't exactly 10 a penny, and nor are the multi billionaires that are happy to throw money at it simply for the glory and kudos.
this is pretty much our future now, and I hope all of those 'SJM out', 'where has all the money gone' morons are feeling a bit silly now.

I don't know why they don't buy though because it is not like all the players we're going to be left with at the end of the season are not championship promotion quality (McShane, Quinn, Kermorgant, Al-Habsi). We need to build a young hungry team around them to be successful.

Agree on the SJM point though, and I don't know why anyone would criticise him after what's he has done for us. He probably had no idea about how bad the former russian owner was going to be.

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 05 May 2016 15:53

YateleyRoyal I work with some of Aaron Kuhl's mates and by the sound of things, he'll be off this summer. Apparently he's only been offered a one-year deal here and a longer deal elsewhere.

That's a shame because he was very promising, however, I don't think he'll fit in to the high tempo game that McDermott will probably want to play next season and he looked quite weak, but that was a couple of years ago since I last saw him play for the first team.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 05 May 2016 16:44

RoyalJones
Maneki Neko their only hope to make money is to build infrastructure, do enough in the transfer market to keep us solvent and keep us in the championship, and hope that our academy can eventually propel us to the premiere league.

SJMs aren't exactly 10 a penny, and nor are the multi billionaires that are happy to throw money at it simply for the glory and kudos.
this is pretty much our future now, and I hope all of those 'SJM out', 'where has all the money gone' morons are feeling a bit silly now.

I don't know why they don't buy though because it is not like all the players we're going to be left with at the end of the season are not championship promotion quality (McShane, Quinn, Kermorgant, Al-Habsi). We need to build a young hungry team around them to be successful.

Agree on the SJM point though, and I don't know why anyone would criticise him after what's he has done for us. He probably had no idea about how bad the former russian owner was going to be.

they'll sell some players and brian will have some, or all of that money to rebuild the squad.
they aren't just going to throw money away on a big gamble that has limited chances of coming off.
they'll build the sensible (and cheap) way. and that is absolutely the right thing to do.
imo

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 05 May 2016 16:48

RoyalJones

ill happily criticise him for the two sales which have both been highly dubious imo and have left us severely in the shit.
but at the same time I understand the bloke was skint and we haemorrhage money on a yearly basis that he simply couldn't afford to cover. add to that the disgraceful booing, and "where has all the money gone" ing at a home match probably made him reconsider just how hard he should look for a decent new owner for the club. after that id have happily sold it to some money laundering drug dealer out of pure spite for the ungrateful cnuts.

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 05 May 2016 17:23

Being linked with this french striker:

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... a-11283297

Supposedly going to be loaned out to us by Arsenal.

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 05 May 2016 17:56

Maneki Neko
RoyalJones

they'll sell some players and brian will have some, or all of that money to rebuild the squad.
they aren't just going to throw money away on a big gamble that has limited chances of coming off.
they'll build the sensible (and cheap) way. and that is absolutely the right thing to do.
imo

Agreed, I think throwing money away is a big risk and won't come off.

We need young hungry players from the lower leagues, revenue from the sales of Norwood, Cooper, Williams etc will be more than enough to rebuild the squad, we probably won't even need all of that money. IMO the most successful signings have been Al Habsi, Quinn and McShane, and at least two of them were signed on a free.

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 05 May 2016 17:59

Maneki Neko
RoyalJones

ill happily criticise him for the two sales which have both been highly dubious imo and have left us severely in the shit.
but at the same time I understand the bloke was skint and we haemorrhage money on a yearly basis that he simply couldn't afford to cover. add to that the disgraceful booing, and "where has all the money gone" ing at a home match probably made him reconsider just how hard he should look for a decent new owner for the club. after that id have happily sold it to some money laundering drug dealer out of pure spite for the ungrateful cnuts.

I know where you are coming from but I didn't think he knew exactly what Zingarevich was like and we had to sell to the Thai owners otherwise we probably wouldn't of had a football club anymore.

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 05 May 2016 17:59

bracksroyal10 Being linked with this french striker:

He looks decent with a lot of pace which is what we need up top running off Kermit, not a fan of the loan system but I would defo loan him if we had a chance.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 05 May 2016 18:07

RoyalJones
Maneki Neko
RoyalJones

imo

Agreed, I think throwing money away is a big risk and won't come off.

We need young hungry players from the lower leagues, revenue from the sales of Norwood, Cooper, Williams etc will be more than enough to rebuild the squad, we probably won't even need all of that money. IMO the most successful signings have been Al Habsi, Quinn and McShane, and at least two of them were signed on a free.

Good business that by Sir Steve ..

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 05 May 2016 18:09

RoyalJones

He looks decent with a lot of pace which is what we need up top running off Kermit, not a fan of the loan system but I would defo loan him if we had a chance.

How long are we stuck with Kermie ?

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 05 May 2016 18:16

Longhorn1970
RoyalJones

I'm on the fence with Kermorgant at the moment, I feel he hasn't done too badly and has created chances but it's clear he is far from his best and mentally shot (not as much as Vydra but is still recovering from his rejection at Bournemouth)

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 05 May 2016 19:53

RoyalJones
Longhorn1970
RoyalJones

I'm on the fence with Kermorgant at the moment, I feel he hasn't done too badly and has created chances but it's clear he is far from his best and mentally shot (not as much as Vydra but is still recovering from his rejection at Bournemouth)

I could tolerate his lack of finishing prowess if he was 'John Toshack' like and teeing up others but that's far from reality ...

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 05 May 2016 20:27

Longhorn1970
RoyalJones
Longhorn1970

I could tolerate his lack of finishing prowess if he was 'John Toshack' like and teeing up others but that's far from reality ...

Lets just hope he kicks on next season, easier said than done though as he is 34 and retiring in a year or two

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 06 May 2016 14:11

RoyalJones Nah, Cooper is never worth 5m
Nicky Hammond would have got £10m for him.

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 06 May 2016 14:43

Forbury Lion
RoyalJones Nah, Cooper is never worth 5m
Nicky Hammond would have got £10m for him.

Probably, and that is the main reason why we will miss Hammond, because of his outstanding negotiating skills

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 06 May 2016 17:23

RoyalJones Yeah I can understand that the Thais are keeping some of the revenue themselves because they don't sound like they're too loaded with money. However, if you buy a football club, it only works if you buy it because you are passionate about the football club, not for the money, this is what I am concerned about with the Thais because it appears they know little about football.

Taking Leicester as an example they know how to build a business. Family is important into their culture. The fans are a key part too. Not to be milked but treated with respect. They've already said that the club needs additional revenue to become financially self sufficient. Hence the development outside the ground. That's a long term view.

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 06 May 2016 17:29

Lower West
RoyalJones Yeah I can understand that the Thais are keeping some of the revenue themselves because they don't sound like they're too loaded with money. However, if you buy a football club, it only works if you buy it because you are passionate about the football club, not for the money, this is what I am concerned about with the Thais because it appears they know little about football.

Taking Leicester as an example they know how to build a business. Family is important into their culture. The fans are a key part too. Not to be milked but treated with respect. They've already said that the club needs additional revenue to become financially self sufficient. Hence the development outside the ground. That's a long term view.

Yeah, and this year will give us an opportunity to blood some of the young players, which i'm quite excited about as it appears there are some gems in the under 21s and the under 18s. Sam Smith from the under 18s looks like a real prospect along with Ryan East and Josh Barrett. This is a long term plan by the Thais if they are to stay and that's a good thing so we can give some experience to a few of the youth players.

On the point of additional revenue, it can only be a good thing for the club.

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 06 May 2016 19:37

Youth:
Ready for the first team:
Stuart Moore (played in league 1 so capable back up)
George Evans (already played and looked promising)
Aaron Tshibola (played for us this season and looks like a key player already)
Aaron Kuhl (might be off in the summer though)
Jake Cooper (already played this season)
Jack Stacey (looked good last season)
Craig Tanner (capable of being on the bench probably)
Josh Barrett (he already looks promising)
Dominic Samuel (might start off on the bench and work his way in the first 11)
Niall Keown (looks like capable backup and might work his way in the first 11)
Tarique Fosu (Looks capable of starting for the first team already)

Close to the first team but not quite there yet:
Pierce Sweeney
Shane Griffin
Tennai Watson
Novakovich
Nana Owusu
Lisandro Semedo (could be close to the first team)
Sean Long
Liam Kelly
Rowan Liburd
Rob Dickie
Dominic Hyam

This is just my opinion

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 May 2016 11:08

For me, Chris Gunter typifies the current malaise at the club. Lovely guy, great athelete, bang average defender and just so meek and mild. He screams bottlejob.

I hope he has a fantastic tournament with Wales and someone buys him because he's our soft underbelly.

I mean compare him to Murty, or Griffin, Bernal, or Newman. Any one of them had more backbone in one vertebra than he has in his entire spine.

375 posts