Rumour - Ben Watson

335 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Rumour - Ben Watson

by Hoop Blah » 18 Jun 2008 17:07

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY only 6k season ticket holders so far (according to EP) would suggest that you are right - apathy has set in! Messages coming out of club are gloomier than the economy at the moment!

home.....chickens....roost....coming....to

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 18 Jun 2008 17:10

...and i guess our Chairman had something to do with this as well - prb £4m at the time - now looking at £6-7m - Mad isnt one to speculate at all - safety first!

Rennes centre back John Mensah says his family want to move to England and the centre back claims that he was due to sign with Reading last season.

The 25-year-old has been linked to Portsmouth over the past two years, and he has revealed that a move to Reading collapsed last season.

The Ghana international has admitted he is happy at Rennes but he reckoned his family, who are English-speaking, would love to cross The Channel.

When asked about his future at Rennes, the defender told the club’s official website that: “I can’t confirm it yet. I was due to move to Reading last season and I’m still here.

“I feel good at Rennes, I like the club and the city, but my family are English-speaking and would wish to live in England.

“I’ve been happy at Rennes. If I am meant to leave the city, I’ll still have a good image of it. If feel like being at home here.”

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 18 Jun 2008 17:12

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY only 6k season ticket holders so far (according to EP) would suggest that you are right - apathy has set in! Messages coming out of club are gloomier than the economy at the moment!

oops forgot to sort mine out yet

poooooooooooooooo

hasnt the OS said they are pouring in at a rate of 1000 per day by the way?

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 18 Jun 2008 18:04

What makes me laugh about that article are the advertisments for the t-shirts down the side,

" English Hero "
" In Lamps We Trust "
" Come on England "
" We can do it "

Why? We made a horrible mess of qualification and we didn't make the Euro's!

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 18 Jun 2008 19:36

Based on you r random assessment of what you think we should have sold.
It'll be 10k by the end of the week and several thousand higher by the start of the season.

What 'gloomy' messages are you seeing ? The ones about the summer gear aren;t too bright but other than that there isn;t anything I've seen to worry about. The gloomy ones are the ones misinterpreting everything they read....

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 18 Jun 2008 20:10

So you tell me the good news in all the stuff that Howe and Madejski have been spouting - I cant see any. Just exactly how may times has Madejski told us about "cutting our cloth to fit" - if that isnt a constant reminder!

Anyway when you can come up with a statement about next season that should cheer the fans - post it on here !

Sir Rodger Doyle

by Sir Rodger Doyle » 18 Jun 2008 20:32

Roger the Rabbit

Based on you r random assessment of what you think we should have sold.
It'll be 10k by the end of the week and several thousand higher by the start of the season.

What 'gloomy' messages are you seeing ? The ones about the summer gear aren;t too bright but other than that there isn;t anything I've seen to worry about. The gloomy ones are the ones misinterpreting everything they read....

Sale now on

Players available at crazy knockdown prices. Reading FC are open to offers for all their players as they prepare for life in the lower leagues. By selling their best players and buying some cheaper ones they are showing their intention to bounce straight back to the Premier league. We will not break our wage structure to sign good players when there are worse ones to be had for less money. Sidwell wanted to sign a new contract at Reading; the club played the wage structure card and lost him for nothing. Do you think he would have been worth a point or three goals last season? Could we not have sold him now for £5,500,000 to recoup the investment in his contract, plus some profit?
We are at best a Championship club, operating on a Championship budget. It's not a criticism; it's just the way it is. We were lucky for a couple of seasons and enjoyed our time in the sun, but that has gone now. If anyone thinks we are able to compete financially with half the clubs in the Championship then they need to sit in the shade for a bit, because they (like the club) have spent a little too long in the sun.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 18 Jun 2008 20:42

Seems good on footie manager :roll: ...Snap him up :)

UTDSTEVE

by UTDSTEVE » 19 Jun 2008 07:32

Watson hasn't handed in a transfer request at all. He has one year left on his currant deal and been offered what Warnock says is a "cracking contract" at palace so he has gone away on holiday to think about it. Warnock has said that he thinks Watson may want a new challenge (more money) but he will wait and see.

A 1.25 million bid from QPR has already been rejected with Warnock calling it derogatory so i can't see him going anywhere for less than 2 million. Can you see Reading paying 2 million on 25k plus a week? :roll:

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 19 Jun 2008 09:08

UTDSTEVE Watson hasn't handed in a transfer request at all. He has one year left on his currant deal and been offered what Warnock says is a "cracking contract" at palace so he has gone away on holiday to think about it. Warnock has said that he thinks Watson may want a new challenge (more money) but he will wait and see.

A 1.25 million bid from QPR has already been rejected with Warnock calling it derogatory so i can't see him going anywhere for less than 2 million. Can you see Reading paying 2 million on 25k plus a week? :roll:

If he is on a currant deal will Palace be raisin his pay at all?

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 19 Jun 2008 09:40

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY So you tell me the good news in all the stuff that Howe and Madejski have been spouting - I cant see any. Just exactly how may times has Madejski told us about "cutting our cloth to fit" - if that isnt a constant reminder!

Anyway when you can come up with a statement about next season that should cheer the fans - post it on here !

Not surprising that it's been pointed out that with income slashed our outgoings need to be reduced but it's hardly been 'constant'. We know we don't have to sell players, whilst recognising that it might be the best thing to do in some cases.

I'd say it's been a pretty quiet news situation since the immediate fall out from relegation cleared. No players demanding moves, no major economy drives, no decisions to close sections of the ground.

I guess somepeople are just naturally keener to look for the downside, it doesnt do you any good in thelong run though.

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 19 Jun 2008 12:59

cmonurz QPR spent a net £5.25m on players last season, which is more than Stoke, Hull, Bristol City, Watford, Crystal Palace and Wolves put together. The difference that the new owners have made is that QPR have not had to raise cash to finance new players, as the other top clubs in the Championship have done.

As above, I would hope that with our coffers relatively full from the Premier League, and with £11m to come over the next two years in parachute payments, our transfer policy is a bit more meaty than ‘one out, one in’.

You seen their season ticket prices this season..?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 19 Jun 2008 13:57

600 odd quid innit?

LOL

JS28ZoD

by JS28ZoD » 01 Jul 2008 16:47

With Palace signing a Central Midfielfer today, it could open the door for Watson's exit...

Can we compete with other clubs for his signature? My heart says of course, but my head says not a chance!

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 01 Jul 2008 17:52

JS28ZoD With Palace signing a Central Midfielfer today, it could open the door for Watson's exit...

Can we compete with other clubs for his signature? My heart says of course, but my head says not a chance!

I think we could definitely compete with other clubs for his signature, whether we will actually try is a different matter.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 01 Jul 2008 18:02

Only 6k season tickets so far ?? I think before people spend on them they want to see what direction the club is going in but at the moment there is little to get excited about, if reports are right !!! maybe, then we are going to "cash in" on the better players, that doesn't send much of a message to prospective purchases, that we are not trying to keep them...............apathy indeed, which could be quashed simply if the club would give the fans some idea of what thier ambitions are for the forthcoming season. We are, under the present hierarchy, never going to spend millions, but some indication of where we are going and what we are trying to achieve would certainly eliminate the negative threads on here and until they do that then what are the supporters and possible season ticket holders supposed to think.

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 01 Jul 2008 18:19

howser Only 6k season tickets so far ??

I think it's closer to 12k

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 01 Jul 2008 18:26

[quote="Bill Oddie's Beard"][quote="howser"]Only 6k season tickets so far ?? [/quote]

I think it's closer to 12k[/quote]

I was only going by what someone else had put on this thread ?

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 01 Jul 2008 18:44

howser
Bill Oddie's Beard
howser Only 6k season tickets so far ??

I think it's closer to 12k

I was only going by what someone else had put on this thread ?

It was a post dated 18th June !!
And followed by other posts updating the numbers !!

I know you like looking on the black side but that's a cracking example ....

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 01 Jul 2008 19:23

[quote="Roger the Rabbit"][quote="howser"][quote="Bill Oddie's Beard"][quote="howser"]Only 6k season tickets so far ?? [/quote]

I think it's closer to 12k[/quote]

I was only going by what someone else had put on this thread ?[/quote]

It was a post dated 18th June !!
And followed by other posts updating the numbers !!

I know you like looking on the black side but that's a cracking example ....[/quote]

I dont know about the "black side" but last season we didnt strengthen in the close season when we needed to........fact

Coppell admitted we were going to struggle after we got beat at home by West Ham in September and we didnt strengthen in January.......fact

The same side was being picked week in week out when we were struggling after January alledgedly due to loyalty..........fact

You surly cant deny any of those.

335 posts