new manager 2009

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

Re: new manager 2009

by handbags_harris » 08 Apr 2009 19:09

mad79 Brendon Rodgers been at the club before and would attract good players through Chelsea and plays nice football. He is my choice as he plays nice football.

Hmmmm :| I'd want us to play nice football as well, but I'd also like us to win matches. if we can do both, brilliant, but if we only win matches then fine by me. Nice football doesn't matter to me. It's effective football I want to see.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Coppells future ,how about this

by handbags_harris » 08 Apr 2009 19:18

I'll give you a clue: he;s the manager of the club who's right back scored a hat-trick against us in Nov 1992.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

Re: Coppells future ,how about this

by Alan Partridge » 08 Apr 2009 19:20

handbags_harris Mere speculation. Coppell won't last this calendar year. If we don't go up he'll leave. If we do he won't strengthen the squad sufficiently and we'll be in a right state come December, by which time he'll have been given the boot. We will then appoint Lawrie Sanchez, Iain Dowie, or Paul Tisdale as manager.

UR&G anyone?

Holy Christ, fold the club.

runrunrunrungilksey

by runrunrunrungilksey » 08 Apr 2009 20:55

mad79 It looks as if coppell is going to leave in the summer so who would or could replace him ? Bryan robson NO . Pardew we would not have him back. martinez plays nice football, maybe. Dillon riskey but cheap. Brendon Rodgers been at the club before and would attract good players through Chelsea and plays nice football. He is my choice as he plays nice football. Forget Watford's league position he has no budget there and he took them over when they were down and out. He would also be cheap for sir John

Rodgers would be a good shout and he knows and has previously worked with Hammond, Dill & Madjeski

Cookie

by Cookie » 08 Apr 2009 21:00

Who says he's going?
Dillon, at the last Star Forum said he was too hooked on what he's building here to (even) consider leaving.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 08 Apr 2009 23:38

Cookie Who says he's going?
Dillon, at the last Star Forum said he was too hooked on what he's building here to (even) consider leaving.

with the greatest respect to Coppell, our finest ever manager, i would rephrase that to 'built'.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 09 Apr 2009 00:44

If you're building something, it doesn't usually sink.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 09 Apr 2009 11:04

It would be interesting to see anti-Coppellites nailing their colours to the mast on this thread. After all, if he is to leave, it'll be pretty soon now and I for one would like to see who the experts would replace him with.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 09 Apr 2009 11:06

Royalee

If you're building something, it doesn't usually sink.

The problem for football managers is that they have to rebuild while the ship's still afloat. It's why there are a number of rocky moments during the voyage.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 Apr 2009 11:23

Focher

with the greatest respect to Coppell, our finest ever manager, i would rephrase that to 'built'.

surely the team of this season, bearing little or no resemblance to the golden team
and the huge (for any club-let alone ours) crop of very decent youngsters coming through says that he is still building

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 09 Apr 2009 12:06

brendywendy
Focher

surely the team of this season, bearing little or no resemblance to the golden team
and the huge (for any club-let alone ours) crop of very decent youngsters coming through says that he is still building

what the crop of youngsters that are never given a proper chance at the club under Coppell?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 Apr 2009 12:07

Focher
brendywendy
Focher with the greatest respect to Coppell, our finest ever manager, i would rephrase that to 'built'.

what the crop of youngsters that are never given a proper chance at the club under Coppell?

the crop of youngsters , the best of whom have already started playing quiet abig part in this season already?

or did you just want all of them put in straight away, and get rid of all the experience we have?

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 09 Apr 2009 12:13

...it will be Rodgers ;

Headhunted by Mourinho as academy coach
Promoted to reserve team coach
Moved to Watford as manager and has turned things around with no budget.. but through some shrewd loan signings, good coaching and motivation
Lives In Reading
Is married into the Reading set-up
Left the clubs on good terms
Unassuming but obviously a very talented young manager

......ideal to develop the team going forward that will hopefully be full of the the younfg talent that the club as coupled with Rodgers own targets....which he no doubt has

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 09 Apr 2009 12:14

All players start out with no experience - just because a player has experience it doesn't mean they should automatically play over a youngster - Pele's got lots of experience, Ferdinand and Keown had lots of experience, doesn't mean they should have been in our first team.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 Apr 2009 12:29

aahhhhh but you dont win nothing with kids..........

oh

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 09 Apr 2009 13:45

brendywendy

or did you just want all of them put in straight away, and get rid of all the experience we have?

of course not. He does not trust them thats my point. Pearce in my view did very little wrong, Duberry did. Karacan did very little wrong. Cox never got a sniff after impressing on his few sub appearances. The rest under Coppell in my view will turn out the same, despite Robson kanu, Church, and Sigurdsson all impressing at International level. Name me a successful youth product of this millenium?

Coppell does not trust youth, and thats possibly due to the huge stakes on games compared to 10 or even 5 years ago. I do honestly believe that if Madejski had said to Coppell 'you have nothing to spend whatsoever this season', we could have done better, i really believe that. He would have been forced to turn to these players rather than players like Tabb, Little (gutted he's lost it), Kitson, and Harding (where is he?).

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 09 Apr 2009 13:50

Most likely no-one, not even SC, knows whether he'll be at the club next summer.

Personally I'm happy for him to continue in the role.

If he doesn't continue then I'd want someone with a bit of experience and bit of nous about them rather than keeping it in the family. Harry Redknapp would be ideal but is an obvious non-starter, you could dream of the likes of Jose Mourinho but without a chairman and large blank cheque book to match that's also no go.

So who is left who might be available in the summer...

Robert di Matteo perhaps?
Want to risk Paul Ince?
Can't recall where Glenn Hoddle is at the moment!
Darren Ferguson's doing brilliantly at Peterborough and would have obvious connections
Into that mix add Brendan Rodgers, Lawrie Sanchez and Phil Parkinson

Overall perhaps better the devil you know....

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 09 Apr 2009 13:59

It was pointed out to me recently that only village idiots question the decisions of managers who have 1000 games under their belts so, it would seem sensible to replace like for like.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 Apr 2009 14:06

Focher
brendywendy

of course not. He does not trust them thats my point. Pearce in my view did very little wrong, Duberry did. Karacan did very little wrong. Cox never got a sniff after impressing on his few sub appearances. The rest under Coppell in my view will turn out the same, despite Robson kanu, Church, and Sigurdsson all impressing at International level. Name me a successful youth product of this millenium?

Coppell does not trust youth, and thats possibly due to the huge stakes on games compared to 10 or even 5 years ago. I do honestly believe that if Madejski had said to Coppell 'you have nothing to spend whatsoever this season', we could have done better, i really believe that. He would have been forced to turn to these players rather than players like Tabb, Little (gutted he's lost it), Kitson, and Harding (where is he?).

i dont know about a lack of trust at all

hes just trying to get them 1st team experience where he can

and rightly doesnt like the idea of multiple inexperienced yoof players in the same team

i could list a whole load of successful managers who are just as reticent in chucking them in at the deep end as coppell

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 09 Apr 2009 20:56

brendywendy
Focher
brendywendy

i dont know about a lack of trust at all

hes just trying to get them 1st team experience where he can

and rightly doesnt like the idea of multiple inexperienced yoof players in the same team

i could list a whole load of successful managers who are just as reticent in chucking them in at the deep end as coppell

If there were as many of these successful managers as you make out, we wouldn't have Beckham, the Nevilles, Scholes, Butt, Rio Ferdinand, Lampard, Joe Cole, Michael Carrick, Carragher, Gerrard, Torres or half the Arsenal team. You really have no idea how stupid you're making yourself sound here.