Fed in talks with Spurs

206 posts
Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Fed in talks with Spurs

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 14 May 2010 10:15

Woodcote Royal

I thought Marcus was treated pretty poor when he left but understand why it had to happen.

Disagree, RFC gave no new contracts to high paid players during that season in The Championship, other than Hunt and Doyle, both of whom would possibly have left in Jan and both of whom would have been expected to leave if we failed to go up, whereas Marcus could have been a drain on the wages had we paid what he wanted. Overall he did very well, and had he had a contract here Wolves would probably not come calling, being available on a free meant he could get a decent salary and signing on fee. It's all swings and roundabouts.

Tho of course we have no idea what he would have settled for, however as our wages have again fallen, I would have thought that £8k a week would have been around the figure.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 14 May 2010 10:16

Woodcote Royal

I thought Marcus was treated pretty poorly when he left but understand why it had to happen.

How was he treated poorly ?

He's dome extremely well from us, and for us. He was about to chuck the game in when he came to us and has achieved a huge amount thanks to us giving him a final opportunity, and him grasping that opportunity. He was however out of contract and at an age when a new deal would have been a gamble. He was able to get a new club pretty easily and has done well for them, whilst we've replaced him more than adequately.

I can;t see how he was poorly treated, unless you let sentiment take over and consider noone should ever be told their time is up in which case we'd still have Murts on the books !!

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 14 May 2010 10:29

Sun Tzu I can;t see how he was poorly treated, unless you let sentiment take over and consider noone should ever be told their time is up in which case we'd still have Murts on the books !!

But Murty's time WAS up AND he got a testimonial to thank him for his efforts whereas, Hahnemann has gone on to better things and I remember very little thanks from RFC when he left for a player who did as much for this club, if not more, than Graeme Murty.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 14 May 2010 10:33

Woodcote Royal
Sun Tzu I can;t see how he was poorly treated, unless you let sentiment take over and consider noone should ever be told their time is up in which case we'd still have Murts on the books !!

But Murty's time WAS up AND he got a testimonial to thank him for his efforts whereas, Hahnemann has gone on to better things and I remember very little thanks from RFC when he left for a player who did as much for this club, if not more, than Graeme Murty.

Murts got his testimonial for 10 years service, which Marcus wasn't entitled to.

I can;t recall the words in the announcement that Marcus was leaving so can't comment on whether he was thanked.

If the poor treatment came down to no one saying 'thanks' as he left then I'm not sure that's a huge issue, especially given that he's hardly suffering now !!

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 14 May 2010 10:35

Harpers So Solid Crew
Woodcote Royal

I thought Marcus was treated pretty poor when he left but understand why it had to happen.

Disagree, RFC gave no new contracts to high paid players during that season in The Championship

You could always try reading my post before responding to it.

Messiah
Location: Its not about your achievements in life, its about what you overcome

by Messiah » 14 May 2010 10:36

Woodcote Royal

What? Murty was with us from 1998. He helped drag this club out of the now League 1, and then lead us to a record points total as champions, and then an 8th place finish in the Premiership!

Hahnemann was a good kepper, and well thought of by all at the club, but if you're going to make comparisons, Murty did more for us than he did.
Last edited by Messiah on 14 May 2010 10:37, edited 1 time in total.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 14 May 2010 10:36

rather lose Fed than Gylfi so 2m is halfway to our 4m debt lets do it!!

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 14 May 2010 10:44

Sun Tzu
Woodcote Royal

Murts got his testimonial for 10 years service, which Marcus wasn't entitled to.

I can;t recall the words in the announcement that Marcus was leaving so can't comment on whether he was thanked.

If the poor treatment came down to no one saying 'thanks' as he left then I'm not sure that's a huge issue, especially given that he's hardly suffering now !!

The player will be delighted with the outcome but, having been off loaded through financial necessity, the club was needlessly meagre in their gratitude to someone who made such huge contribution in getting us to the top flight and finishing 8th in our first season.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 14 May 2010 10:45

Woodcote Royal
Sun Tzu
Woodcote Royal WAS up AND he got a testimonial to thank him for his efforts whereas, Hahnemann has gone on to better things and I remember very little thanks from RFC when he left for a player who did as much for this club, if not more, than Graeme Murty.

The player will be delighted with the outcome but, having been off loaded through financial necessity, the club was needlessly meagre in their gratitude for a player who made such huge contribution in getting us to the top flight and finishing 8th in our first season.

what did you want? a leaving bonus for him?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 14 May 2010 10:50

As I've said before many times, I think Federici is an ok keeper for this division but he still makes too many mistakes to be considered anywhere near as good as Hahnemann (although it was 100% the correct decision to let Hahnemann go and give Federici his chance last summer).

I usually find myself agreeing with SKDD, but as for not many better keepers in the division...

Camp, Harper, Carson, Marshall, De Vries, maybe that Lewis kid at Peterborough who looked ok against us and Speroni too.

I'd take Federici above a few of the others, but he's a shot stopper who makes saves look spectaular and doesn't always get the basic and easy stuff right. I don't expect any keeper to be faultless, but from what I've seen over the last few seasons those above make less basic mistakes that Federici.

I'd be happy to see Federici leave for a £1m or so and get Ashdown back on a free. I'm not sure any of teh youngsters are quite good enough yet, but then I've not seen much of them.

As for whoever it was that said being out on loan wasn't the same as 'the real thing' here at Reading....what the hell are you on about? They're playing first team league football every week. That's exactly what they need at this stage and exactly what Federici didn't get earlier in his career and has probably held his progress back a bit.

Messiah
Location: Its not about your achievements in life, its about what you overcome

by Messiah » 14 May 2010 10:51

POTT

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 14 May 2010 10:57

Woodcote Royal
Harpers So Solid Crew
Woodcote Royal

Disagree, RFC gave no new contracts to high paid players during that season in The Championship

SO wtf are you saying was done badly???? Please enlighten us all.

Just seen your reply to ST, quite a few left at the end of last season, I feel sure that RFC will have thanked them all, can't see what you are moaning at here.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 14 May 2010 11:05

Hoop Blah it was 100% the correct decision to let Hahnemann go and give Federici his chance last summer

He's a shot stopper who makes saves look spectaular and doesn't always get the basic and easy stuff right

Totally agree with those two observations.

He'd reached the point where he had to be given his chance here or elsewhere and, as we needed to cut the wage bill, off loading Hahnemann was an easy decision.

However, 12 months on he isn't a £2m player and we will act accordingly if and when such offers are made.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 14 May 2010 11:13

Focher spacey's gonna love this thread on the team board 8)

Too right! :x

It should be on UR&G :!: And what's worse is that there is already a thread on this there :!: FFS :!:

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 14 May 2010 11:18

Harpers So Solid Crew
Woodcote Royal
Woodcote Royal I thought Marcus was treated pretty poor when he left but understand why it had to happen.

SO wtf are you saying was done badly???? Please enlighten us all.

Just seen your reply to ST, quite a few left at the end of last season, I feel sure that RFC will have thanked them all, can't see what you are moaning at here.

Frankly, I've got better things to do with my time than enlighten the thick and/or engage in utterley pointless arguements with those who have nothing better to do than spend their day on here.

I think Marcus could have been treated better, you don't....................deal with it.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 14 May 2010 11:24

Why isn't this in the rumours section, or has it been confirmed that Feds is in talks with Spurs?

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 14 May 2010 11:29

Wycombe Royal Why isn't this in the rumours section, or has it been confirmed that Feds is in talks with Spurs?

I've seen nothing to suggest that he is in talks. This article does not mention any such thing:

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... s_top_mark?

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 14 May 2010 11:30

What would constitute being 'treated better'? Why single Hahnemann out? Most players know their scenario and Hahnemann has never shown to be bitter about any kind dispute with the club, although that's not quite what you're alluding to. It's well documented that the club couldn't afford new (and doubtless improved) contracts for players coming to the end of their current deals, when the club could not afford to carry players on Premiership wages at that time.

If that's not what you're getting then I'm not sure what your angle is. Either way, I don't see how Hahnemann was owed anything by RFC. We picked him up from the goalkeeping doldrums and gave him first team football and now top spot at a Premiership club. I fail to see how he could feel bitter or why any fan would feel he's hard done by. Football is and can be pretty damn cut-throat, but this situation doesn't even fall anywhere near that.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 14 May 2010 11:34

Hoop Blah As I've said before many times, I think Federici is an ok keeper for this division but he still makes too many mistakes to be considered anywhere near as good as Hahnemann (although it was 100% the correct decision to let Hahnemann go and give Federici his chance last summer).

I usually find myself agreeing with SKDD, but as for not many better keepers in the division...

Camp, Harper, Carson, Marshall, De Vries, maybe that Lewis kid at Peterborough who looked ok against us and Speroni too.

I'd take Federici above a few of the others, but he's a shot stopper who makes saves look spectaular and doesn't always get the basic and easy stuff right. I don't expect any keeper to be faultless, but from what I've seen over the last few seasons those above make less basic mistakes that Federici.

I'd be happy to see Federici leave for a £1m or so and get Ashdown back on a free. I'm not sure any of teh youngsters are quite good enough yet, but then I've not seen much of them.

As for whoever it was that said being out on loan wasn't the same as 'the real thing' here at Reading....what the hell are you on about? They're playing first team league football every week. That's exactly what they need at this stage and exactly what Federici didn't get earlier in his career and has probably held his progress back a bit.

Would we get any of the keepers mentioned though? I don't even think Lewis is that good tbh. Ashdown is a fair shout, bout how would he take to playing week in week out again? It's been a long time. Plus I reckon a lot of clubs will be in for him, maybe even one of the promoted teams.

If we need to £2m then fair enough, much rather see Fed go than Sig or even Long. I just don't think there's a great deal out there that we could get. Like I said I actually think we'd take a risk on Hamer.

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 14 May 2010 11:38

I thought when we released Hahneman, Lita et al it said on the OS that they'd been released and the club thanked them for all they'd done??

206 posts