Tommy Smith - Gazumped by Pompey - Thread

2326 posts
wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

Re: The Unruined Tommy Smith RUMOUR Thread

by wolsey » 13 Aug 2009 14:08

Hoop Blah Rodgers has talked about needing a link man, and Smith seems to be his top target.

Whether he see's him as that link man is another thing, I'm not sure that any of the players would know for a fact what Rodgers had in store for him even if he/W&E are telling the truth.

The link man Rodgers keeps mentioning doen't have to be in that advanced midfield position (the one a lot of people want to see Matejovsky given a decent chance in*). It could be the central forward being able to play with his back to goal and bringing the other attacking players into the game a bit more, or even one of the wide forwards doing much the same.

*Ian Royal, Matejovsky can play that position, you don't have to be athletic at all to excel in that position. Who have been the best players 'in the hole' over the last 10-15 years? Cantona, Sheringham, Zola, Berkamp, Scholes and even Giggs as he's got older. None of them are great runners and Matejovsky is ideally suited to that role because he has the vision to pick a pass and the touch and awareness to make himself space and get his head up when under pressure. They're much more important qualities in that position than, for example, Gerrards ability to make bursting runs beyond the ball.

For what it's worth, I can't really see us playing that link man 'in the hole' like that anyway. Early indications are that Rodgers favours a 4-3-3 more akin to the Chelsea way of playing than the way Liverpool or United went about playing with two more defensive midfields and 'a number 10' playing off the forward.

Whatever happens, the signing of Smith will improve the starting XI and give us more of a threat whether he's played centrally or on the right. I'd still hope we sign a talior made centre forward as well though, as I'm not convinced that Long, Church or Hunt will really suit that role.

Interesting times though!

I think that I agree with your post, but it still doesn't make it any clearer to me how Smith will strengthen the team apart from being a more trusted RIGHT SIDED midfielder than we have at the moment.

Will he create/score the goals that we will need to get any where near the play offs? (Or Is BR planning on a Mourinho/Chelsea style season of 1-0 wins?)

Why, when we are getting rid of "older" players en masse and building a team with the emphasis on youth would we spend £1m+ on a 29 year old who will have no discernable resale value? (I think that we are heading that way as a club - if ever we were any different)

Is another midfielder our major priority at the moment? What about a decent striker (or is that too option expensive to contemplate?)

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 13 Aug 2009 14:14

Broxroyal . Marek, however........

Apart from a good goal against Liverpool, Marek has not been great. People seem to be hoping he comes good, but I just dont see him doing well here. We should flog him and getting someone like Smith in who knows this division would be a better option.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 13 Aug 2009 14:40

Marek has to be one of the most overrated players in the history of the club.

Except for the odd 20 mins here and there, has he ever taken a game by the neck and changed it? Has he ever put in a performance that has warranted the praise he gets from the fans. He's been here a year and a half, how long we gonna wait? Maybe Coppell didn't know how to use him. I'm not holding my breath with though. Clearly has talent, is he going to make it though??

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 13 Aug 2009 15:04

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Marek has to be one of the most overrated players in the history of the club.

Except for the odd 20 mins here and there, has he ever taken a game by the neck and changed it? Has he ever put in a performance that has warranted the praise he gets from the fans. He's been here a year and a half, how long we gonna wait? Maybe Coppell didn't know how to use him. I'm not holding my breath with though. Clearly has talent, is he going to make it though??

Don't think anyone would argue with you - he clearly has not made the impact you'd expect. Doesn't mean he's overrated though.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 13 Aug 2009 15:06

MAtejovsky has numerous caps for a proper football nation. Not a Wales, an Iceland or Ireland. But a proper decent football country with lots of other options. We haven't got the best out of him here but it's in him to be excellent at this level. He needs to stay fit and play a run of games, something he's not done as yet in his time here.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 13 Aug 2009 15:20

Back to Tommy Smith for a moment.

This delay might have worked out rather well for us - there is absolutely no point in signing players we don't need, and I wonder whether Rodgers might now (4 weeks on from expressing his original intent) feel that, having seen Davies, Sigurdsson, Bignall, Henry, Church, Robson Kanu etc. in action that we actually don't need a Tommy Smith type of player to bolster midfield / attck.

Keep the money for future investment where /when it is really needed.

Just a thought.

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 13 Aug 2009 15:21

Alan Partridge MAtejovsky has numerous caps for a proper football nation. Not a Wales, an Iceland or Ireland. But a proper decent football country with lots of other options. We haven't got the best out of him here but it's in him to be excellent at this level. He needs to stay fit and play a run of games, something he's not done as yet in his time here.

So do we base our footballing hopes and strategy on him regardless of any other issues? ( I thought that the signing of Tommy Smith was going to be the answer to all of our problems)

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 13 Aug 2009 15:22

Royal Rother Back to Tommy Smith for a moment.

This delay might have worked out rather well for us - there is absolutely no point in signing players we don't need, and I wonder whether Rodgers might now (4 weeks on from expressing his original intent) feel that, having seen Davies, Sigurdsson, Bignall, Henry, Church, Robson Kanu etc. in action that we actually don't need a Tommy Smith type of player to bolster midfield / attck.

Just a thought.

Tommy Smith >>>> all of those.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 13 Aug 2009 15:24

wolsey
Alan Partridge MAtejovsky has numerous caps for a proper football nation. Not a Wales, an Iceland or Ireland. But a proper decent football country with lots of other options. We haven't got the best out of him here but it's in him to be excellent at this level. He needs to stay fit and play a run of games, something he's not done as yet in his time here.

So do we base our footballing hopes and strategy on him regardless of any other issues? ( I thought that the signing of Tommy Smith was going to be the answer to all of our problems)

There is no 'answer to all our problems'. I am giving a reason as to why Matejovsky hasn't quite produced what he clearly can, as he's been capped a load by the Czech Republic. Whenever he's just started getting in the team he's picked up a knock and then struggled to get back in. You have to say this formation must surely suit Marek not having the excessive workload that 2 midfielders have in a 4-4-2. I agree it's time for delivery from Marek, the clubs been patient with him, he's got the ability it's time for him to step up and show it, consistantly.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Aug 2009 15:30

Just a thought.

And one I'll be surprised that BR would be having. Right now Smith is a better option than all of those and by most accounts Smith will fill the role BR wants. We do still need that sort of player IMO.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 13 Aug 2009 16:18

It's been pretty hard to judge Matejovsky when he either a) Didn't play b) Played small 'cameo' roles c) Play was generally by-passed and over his head.

I'm not defending him entirely, but he's got to play and get in a groove so that others can blend with that player. Same goes for any player, you need extended time to see where you fit. Coppell chopped and changed so much that nobody 'new' had a good run bar Armstrong and he was shoe-in. At times, Karacan was dropped for no reason...Pearce too. Brendan has a clean slate and you can tell that there is a different air about the squad at the moment. (Needless to say, I think the removal of SHunt will too will lessen this feel of there being a clique around the club.)

But Tommy Smith...meh. I still don't get it. Good player in an average team.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 Aug 2009 17:24

Just a thought.

None of them have shown over a decent run of games they're capable of cutting it at Championship level yet.

Going with them without a couple of experienced and proven players to supplement their youth would be a massive gamble, one that I would be shocked if he took intentionally. Coppell was bad enough for not realising or covering the deficiencies in his squad, but I'd be amazed if Rodgers happily went passed the transfer deadline with just that lot.

I was there at Elm Park

by I was there at Elm Park » 13 Aug 2009 20:05

Update on the transfer saga. Turns out my mate was being a bit hasty when he said he was on his way. He does though claim that we've had a new bid of £1.5m and a player rejected. Also, apparently Newcastle have enquired and been told that if they bid more than us then he's theirs but that's pretty obvious.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 13 Aug 2009 21:58

only if he wants to go.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 14 Aug 2009 08:37

The Chronic reckon something may happen today...

(Lol at lazy journalism of 'Hill City')

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport ... er-target/

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 14 Aug 2009 09:49

The guy has already intimated that he doesnt want to uproot his family and move north hence why he turned down Sheff U - its totally up to Reading if they want him enough they will pay a fee thats acceptable to Watford

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 14 Aug 2009 10:21

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY The guy has already intimated that he doesnt want to uproot his family and move north hence why he turned down Sheff U - its totally up to Reading if they want him enough they will pay a fee thats acceptable to Watford

Yep but if it's a 'dream move' and a 'dream salary' he might change his mind .... not sure Newcastle are in a position though to offer a dream salary.

I was there at Elm Park

by I was there at Elm Park » 14 Aug 2009 10:53

According to this Watford fans forum (http://www.wfcforums.com/showthread.php?t=29710&page=20) Smith was a boyhood Newcastle fan so that might sway his decision. He's also played for Sunderland so he already knows the area.

bagman

by bagman » 14 Aug 2009 11:27

Hoop Blah

Just a thought.

None of them have shown over a decent run of games they're capable of cutting it at Championship level yet.

Going with them without a couple of experienced and proven players to supplement their youth would be a massive gamble, one that I would be shocked if he took intentionally. Coppell was bad enough for not realising or covering the deficiencies in his squad, but I'd be amazed if Rodgers happily went passed the transfer deadline with just that lot.

Luckily we've got a manager who doesn't just make do now.

Smith will be a Reading player by early next week at the latest and then Rodgers will move on to his next target. I like how Rodger's identifies who he wants early but is prepared to wait for the right time to move...

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 14 Aug 2009 11:33

Agent Balti The Chronic reckon something may happen today...

(Lol at lazy journalism of 'Hill City')

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport ... er-target/

Maybe, Stephen Hunt is rejoining the club on a season-long loan.

2326 posts