Tommy Smith - Gazumped by Pompey - Thread

2326 posts
ArfnipIsARoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Tommy Smith - Gazumped by Pompey - Thread

by ArfnipIsARoyal » 20 Feb 2010 09:41

I see the PL have said no to Pompey with regards to selling their players. Gives them 8 days to get in the new owner or it could be curtains. Chennai took control of the club because the previous owner could not afford to pay back a set amount of money in time. I'm guessing that means that the debt is transferred to Portsmouth now in Chennai's eyes? It is a sorry state of affairs but with administration coming more into the fore over the past few years, it should've been a time to start paying off the debts as it became a slippery slope. Clubs that didn't are innevitably going to have it bite them on the arse and unfortunately unless something crazy is done, losing Portsmouth could be the first of a series to come, as the precedent will have been set. I feel for the fans. Whichever club. Football in this country is a way of life and the money men coming into the game just see it as a toy. It's a disgrace in my opinion and this fit and proper test from the FA will have to step up dramatically to stop this happening over and over.

Chelsea have Abramovich who has lumped out X amount of money over the past 6 years or so. The club are now debt free, leaving them in a better financial state than those who spend peanuts. You could argue that if Abramovich decides to jump ship at any given moment, the club could suffer. This is true, but take into account the number of assets the club has to sell. Players like Drogba, Lampard, Cole, Cech, Terry etc could easily fetch them a fair whack whilst also taking a massive chunk out of the wage structure. Chelsea are now a global brand and a household name, so attracting new players wouldn't an issue. Unfortunately, Portsmouth do not have such attractive assets and this could be the reason why this situation is much more difficult for them.

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 20 Feb 2010 10:05

Makes you feel glad we got SJM at the helm after all.

ArfnipIsARoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by ArfnipIsARoyal » 20 Feb 2010 10:11

ankeny Makes you feel glad we got SJM at the helm after all.

Exactly. Ok so we aren't tearing up trees in English football, but at least we do not have the worries of Portsmouth, Cardiff, Notts County & Chester to name but a few...

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 20 Feb 2010 10:12

All good points, but you want to make them on the clubs in the shitter thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=94689

Comfortably Numb

by Comfortably Numb » 20 Feb 2010 16:55

Ideal
ArfnipIsARoyal
ankeny Makes you feel glad we got SJM at the helm after all.

Exactly. Ok so we aren't tearing up trees in English football, but at least we do not have the worries of Portsmouth, Cardiff, Notts County & Chester to name but a few...

If we'd had McDermot in charge from the beginning of the season we would be in a promotion challenge now.
I have faith that we will be next season.

No we wouldn't. This squad requires a lot more work before we're anywhere near a top six side.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 21 Feb 2010 16:05

ArfnipIsARoyal I don't reckon Pompey will survive. For someone to take over they will have to understand they would need to take a £20m+ hit which may never be paid back to them. £11.7m HMRC, £9m Gaydak and £1.6m Sol Campbell are the figures that I can recall.

Don't forget that Udinese want a few million that was unpaid from an old transfer

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 21 Feb 2010 18:42

Comfortably Numb
Ideal
ArfnipIsARoyal Exactly. Ok so we aren't tearing up trees in English football, but at least we do not have the worries of Portsmouth, Cardiff, Notts County & Chester to name but a few...

If we'd had McDermot in charge from the beginning of the season we would be in a promotion challenge now.
I have faith that we will be next season.

No we wouldn't. This squad requires a lot more work before we're anywhere near a top six side.

Agreed. McDermott will keep us up this season, I'm sure of this. However I don't think he will ever get us above a mid table Championship team.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 22 Feb 2010 10:01

based on your random opinion?

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 22 Feb 2010 12:38

Yes

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 22 Feb 2010 15:10

i believe we'll stay up this season, win the championship next season, premiere league the year after that and champions league after that.
the next year we will play real alpha centuri in the final of the galactic football championship, but lose 3-2 to a last minute debatable goal, as the opposition player handles the ball in the penaty area, but the ref couldnt decide if a tentacle counted as hand or foot.

Royal We
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal We » 22 Feb 2010 15:18

brendywendy i believe we'll stay up this season, win the championship next season, premiere league the year after that and champions league after that.
the next year we will play real alpha centuri in the final of the galactic football championship, but lose 3-2 to a last minute debatable goal, as the opposition player handles the ball in the penaty area, but the ref couldnt decide if a tentacle counted as hand or foot.

And we'd still be last on Match of The Day

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 28 Feb 2010 20:00

lol @ pompey gazumping us when they can't afford a packet of monster munch

lol @ their predicament

serves the clueless seasiders right

kieran

by kieran » 10 Mar 2010 15:58

Barry the bird boggler 1. Portsmouth will be saved at the last minute like nearly all league clubs
2. Tommy Smith will be back in the Championship next year with Portsmouth helping them maintain their jinx over us

Surely, its not a jinx just the fact that Pompey have almost always been better than Reading throughout history?

Its a bit daft calling it a jinx. Its like Pompey saying Newcastle have a jinx over them,
they dont there just usually better!

I dont think Pompey have played Reading that much throughout history anyway.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 10 Mar 2010 16:07

kieran
Barry the bird boggler 1. Portsmouth will be saved at the last minute like nearly all league clubs
2. Tommy Smith will be back in the Championship next year with Portsmouth helping them maintain their jinx over us

Surely, its not a jinx just the fact that Pompey have almost always been better than Reading throughout history?

Its a bit daft calling it a jinx. Its like Pompey saying Newcastle have a jinx over them,
they dont there just usually better!

I dont think Pompey have played Reading that much throughout history anyway.

Are you a sodding Portsmouth fan?

Just checked soccerbase's head-to-head facility:

..........Portsmouth wins draws Reading wins
League ...18....................13......... 7
FA Cup .....2.................... 0......... 2
Total ......20................... 13......... 9

And I'm very shocked to discover that our last win over Portsmouth was in 1997! :o :x

kieran

by kieran » 10 Mar 2010 16:49

No, I am not. Just honest. We have played them 20 times in over 100 years and I dont think the reason is because they are usually in a lower division. No brainer.

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 10 Mar 2010 17:07

I know that this might be irrelevant, but what has happened to Smith recently?

Injured? not rated by Grant? About to trigger a payment clause?

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 10 Mar 2010 17:10

kieran Just honest. We have played them 20 times in over 100 years

You're wrong. We've played them 42 times in over 100 years.

kieran

by kieran » 10 Mar 2010 17:15

SpaceCruiser

Sorry, I kind of did the maths and actually meant 20ish seasons ie 42 times assuming twice a season.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 10 Mar 2010 18:15

kieran
SpaceCruiser

Sorry, I kind of did the maths and actually meant 20ish seasons ie 42 times assuming twice a season.

boring m8

specialjon

by specialjon » 24 Mar 2010 14:41

2326 posts