Rumour - Gary Hooper

1074 posts
kentuckyfriedcharlie

Re: Rumour - Gary Hooper

by kentuckyfriedcharlie » 15 Jun 2013 23:10

Pepe the Horseman He's gone to the PL. soz. And that is confirmed San.

where does it say that

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 15 Jun 2013 23:11

Pepe the Horseman He's gone to the PL. soz. And that is confirmed San.

Is that the name of his golf course?

Divvy

by Divvy » 16 Jun 2013 14:08

He wont come here, not when there is Premier League interest, but it's nice to see our sights set so high. I still think we'll bag Billy Sharp, and he will more than do a job at this level. Saints fans were disappointed he wasn't given a chance in the Premier League, but tactics and a change in style came first (ala Le Fondre)

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 16 Jun 2013 16:13

Still a chance of landing him, however would agree that it is extremely unlikely to happen if there is any PL interest. If we did manage it though surely it would be coup of year, perhaps decade even....

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 16 Jun 2013 16:19

I think, assuming our level of ambition shown so far this window is extrapolated across the summer, Hooper may well prefer to spend a year in the Championship with us building a team capable of competing at PL level rather than struggle at Hull/Palace,

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 16 Jun 2013 16:24

Barry the bird boggler Still a chance of landing him, however would agree that it is extremely unlikely to happen if there is any PL interest. If we did manage it though surely it would be coup of year, perhaps decade even....

still mate, jordan rhodes went to a championship club last year despite numbers of PL interest. granted he only had league 1 experience. hooper has championship experience at best and he thrived at that level. scotland's PL is probably equivelent to top half league one-lower/mid championship. still it will come down to where he is willing to play and who offers celtic the most money.

in my eyes i still see us as an attractive club for him:
1. he has already worked under NA and knows him well, presumably
2. he fits into NA's style quite well
3. considering the quality that we are bringing in this transfer window(drenthe,assuming he signs and bridge) we will surely be one of the favorites for promotion into the PL. (we all know its not guaranteed just look at wolves and blackburn).
4. the clubs who are in for him in the PL will surely be relegation fodder
5. a championship push for the PL surely is more exciting and better on a resume than being relegated from the PL in one season.
6. NA is extremely good at player development so he could potentially be england ready in a year or two.

im sure there are more reasons why we are attractive but this is all i could think of off the top of my head atm.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 16 Jun 2013 16:31

I would imagine, after playing in the CL, the only think Hooper will be coming here for is the money.

Am I simplifying this too much?

Even if he came here - what's the most he could expect next season - a battle against relegation?

None of it makes any sense.

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 16 Jun 2013 16:34

Royal With Cheese I would imagine, after playing in the CL, the only think Hooper will be coming here for is the money.

Am I simplifying this too much?

Even if he came here - what's the most he could expect next season - a battle against relegation?

None of it makes any sense.

it would be fair enough to assume that. the thing is, we have to trust AZ to sell his vision of this club and our future to the players he is bringing in. if were to believe anton we want to establish ourselves as a stable PL side in the upcoming years. we are already getting started on that by buying quality players that are capable at playing at the highest level.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 16 Jun 2013 17:50

I honestly believe that we would be a more attractive proposition than Hull. He is an Essex boy, so he may fancy a move back down South.

We shouldn't underestimate Reading as a place to live. Very close to London and not too far from the South coast.

Fair enough if a big club comes in for him but we should be able to compete with the lower Premier League clubs for players, especially, if we are serious about establishing ourselves in the Premiership long term.

URZZZZZ

by URZZZZZ » 16 Jun 2013 17:57

given the fact Norwich was trying to get him for the past 2 transfer windows, i bet they are gonna try again, and no player will choose us over Norwich, over Hull yes, but not Norwich

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 16 Jun 2013 17:59

Norwich have just signed two strikers

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Jun 2013 18:02

With an ambitious new owner, no financial worries, modern training facilities and stadium, a manager he knows and over a decade's worth of being an established top 10 Championship side that's flirting more and more with establishing itself in the Prem, it's conceivable Hooper could roll the dice on a season in the Championship and then being established in a team set up compete well in the Prem.

It's easier for a player to establish themselves in a higher league, if they're doing it with familiar players and staff around them. Rather than trying to adjust to a new club, players, staff and league, all in one go. Especially if the club is also trying to make the step up at the same time.

Given footballers chase the big bucks, have supreme confidence in their own abilities, have short careers and aren't known for being the brightest, you'd have to think we've still only got an outside chance, even with all the postives.

I think the (just about) sensible choice would be us unless a PL club other than the three promoted sides come in for him. But then I'm massively biased and am probably over-estimating our chances of promotion.

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 16 Jun 2013 18:05

blythspartan I honestly believe that we would be a more attractive proposition than Hull. He is an Essex boy, so he may fancy a move back down South.

We shouldn't underestimate Reading as a place to live. Very close to London and not too far from the South coast.

Fair enough if a big club comes in for him but we should be able to compete with the lower Premier League clubs for players, especially, if we are serious about establishing ourselves in the Premiership long term.

Our location has got us players in the past.Being so close to London can have it's merits.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 16 Jun 2013 18:39

Pepe the Horseman Norwich have just signed two strikers

One.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 16 Jun 2013 18:52

To those who present the 'why would he go and face a relegation battle' - if he comes here and we win the league, that's exactly the situation he could find himself in.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 16 Jun 2013 18:53

Norfolk Royal

One.

Have they not signed that Swedish bloke?

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 16 Jun 2013 18:58

St. Brynjar To those who present the 'why would he go and face a relegation battle' - if he comes here and we win the league, that's exactly the situation he could find himself in.

So are you saying if we were to finish 2nd or go up via the playoffs, we'd be safe next year?

RockheadRumple

by RockheadRumple » 16 Jun 2013 19:01

leww_rfc
St. Brynjar To those who present the 'why would he go and face a relegation battle' - if he comes here and we win the league, that's exactly the situation he could find himself in.

So are you saying if we were to finish 2nd or go up via the playoffs, we'd be safe next year?

That's what always happens.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 16 Jun 2013 19:06

Pepe the Horseman
Norfolk Royal

One.

Have they not signed that Swedish bloke?

Some way off that as yet.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 16 Jun 2013 19:10

leww_rfc

Couldn't have put it better myself.

1074 posts