Summer 2023 Transfer Speculation

1360 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Summer 2023 Transfer Speculation

by Hound » 04 Jul 2023 13:59

It really would be nice to hear something from the club, it’s nuts that there are sharing nothing - but been suggestions that Knibbs and Walcott are signing, and possibly that Hoilett and Mbengue are as well

Add those 4 I honestly don’t want to see a lot more. Bring in a few solid experienced but not old L1 players, esp in midfield, and I think we’d have a top half side quite comfortably

Obvs if Dai has been a good boy and paid all the bills then there may be scope to be a bit more ambitious with the signings, but would want quality over quantity

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Jul 2023 14:04

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal I knew you'd learn eventually. :wink:

Not that it matters. :wink: Surprised you didn't moan about Ejaria being in there either tbh.

In all seriousness though, it's a squad that's going to need some work doing to it. We'd all love to see our academy prospects flourish in the first team but I suspect that most probably aren't ready for it even at this level yet. Maybe come January time they might be. Even just half a season somewhere would do some of those players good.

I did.

I think they're all ready to be tried. You wouldn’t expect every signing to succeed let alone every youth player. And you don’t want to be throwing lots in first choice all at once, with no senior options to support them.

They're already for a phased introduction to see how they cope.

Dorsett and Andresson have played 50 odd games and L2 and above. Jahmari (who I think is still injured) has 20 games. Ehib and Abrefa have nearly 10 games and been knocking round the first team a while. Wouldn’t be worried throwing any in because of inexperience. Fair that they may not be good enough but only one way to find out

As a comparison - NGW was playing regularly for Wimbledon at the same age and level and he is by no means an outstanding talent

Can’t think of a player in the last 5 years or so as an arbitrary amount of time who has been given an extended shot in the first team and let us down. Bristow? But he ended up doing ok elsewhere (actually 46 games in L2 - same age as Craig and co are now). Have the likes of Kelly, Holmes, McIntyre, Samuel, Rino, Loader, Smith, Olise, Richards who have made good to very good careers with us or elsewhere

Chuck em in I reckon

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Jul 2023 14:39

Hound It really would be nice to hear something from the club, it’s nuts that there are sharing nothing - but been suggestions that Knibbs and Walcott are signing, and possibly that Hoilett and Mbengue are as well

Add those 4 I honestly don’t want to see a lot more. Bring in a few solid experienced but not old L1 players, esp in midfield, and I think we’d have a top half side quite comfortably

Obvs if Dai has been a good boy and paid all the bills then there may be scope to be a bit more ambitious with the signings, but would want quality over quantity

If those 4 sign - I'd still be looking at 4 more minimum and then use the youth around it. I'd personally want 6 to 8 fresh faces in the club to refresh the atmosphere but they have to fit the style Selles wants us to play - assuming he ever gets officially announced.

On comms it feels like they are waiting for something - surprised the P&S breach is still on the emargo list, would have thought that would have dropped off reasonably automatically - maybe that is the hold up, we can't announce anything until that is closed out. Or the club is just shit - which is also just a bit true.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Jul 2023 15:52

Hound
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Not that it matters. :wink: Surprised you didn't moan about Ejaria being in there either tbh.

In all seriousness though, it's a squad that's going to need some work doing to it. We'd all love to see our academy prospects flourish in the first team but I suspect that most probably aren't ready for it even at this level yet. Maybe come January time they might be. Even just half a season somewhere would do some of those players good.

I did.

I think they're all ready to be tried. You wouldn’t expect every signing to succeed let alone every youth player. And you don’t want to be throwing lots in first choice all at once, with no senior options to support them.

Dorsett and Andresson have played 50 odd games and L2 and above. Jahmari (who I think is still injured) has 20 games. Ehib and Abrefa have nearly 10 games and been knocking round the first team a while. Wouldn’t be worried throwing any in because of inexperience. Fair that they may not be good enough but only one way to find out

As a comparison - NGW was playing regularly for Wimbledon at the same age and level and he is by no means an outstanding talent

Can’t think of a player in the last 5 years or so as an arbitrary amount of time who has been given an extended shot in the first team and let us down. Bristow? But he ended up doing ok elsewhere (actually 46 games in L2 - same age as Craig and co are now). Have the likes of Kelly, Holmes, McIntyre, Samuel, Rino, Loader, Smith, Olise, Richards who have made good to very good careers with us or elsewhere

Chuck em in I reckon

All for giving them a chance. Been banging the drum for years. But I don't think it helps to throw too many in at once... ie the League Cup games.

Reassess every few games.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 04 Jul 2023 15:57

Hound
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

I did.

Chuck em in I reckon

Don't necessarily disagree, but I think the likes of Abrefa, Kelvin E etc have been knocking round the first team due to our situation, the embargo's and injury situation. Look at the first game at Blackpool last season, without restrictions I doubt our bench looks like that. I think a lot have been used out of necessity rather than choice/suitability (i.e. actually ready for the opportunity).

In fairness, that might be a good thing. It gives them that exposure that they might not get otherwise and obviously it gives them that chance to shine. But throughout last season, did anyone really catch anyone's eye? Some players did ok and others didn't look ready, some players stood out in different circumstances e.g. Abrefa against a youthful Watford in the FA Cup.

I know it's all a bit negative from me but I don't want players thrown in at the wrong time just because the club situations isn't great. It won't help them, or us. But then again, who knows. The drop in level and a chance for opportunity might do the world of good for some, just not sure who that will be yet. It could be 6/7 players, likely to be 2/3 though (which I guess is still pretty successful).

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Jul 2023 20:10

Do you think Rinomhota would have got a chance if we didn’t have midfield problems? And he became a mainstay.

As a club we have been far too reticent to give youth a chance except when forced to. And as a result we've lost out on quality players like Fosu, Stacy, Cooper, Hyam, Dickie etc.

Yes, Abrefa has impressed me and looks ready. Senga impressed me and could be ready. John Clarke impressed me and has something about him worth looking at. Camara looked ready to play considerably more in the Championship, let alone L1. Ehibhatiomhan looked skillful and useful and worth games.

Do I want to rely on all of them being ready to play 40 games? No. Do I think they should all get a crack at the same time? No. Do I think they should all feature regularly in matchday squads through the season? Yes, until any of them show they aren’t ready in game situations.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Jul 2023 21:19

I think that’s fairly reasonable and agree in general

Going back to that original team i posted - that was starting Craig and Camara from the u23 guys. I think that’s ok. I’d be happy to swap them over with Ehibhatiomhan or Abrefa depending on who else comes in but do very much want to see 3 or 4 very regularly involved, with another 2 or 3 on the fringes and getting some game time

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 05 Jul 2023 00:18

Everytime I see a post in here I’m hoping it’s a rumour about a player signing. Alas no, it’s the wet wipes of the team board talking shit, as per usual . Move this shit over to the team board will you, and leave rumours and gossip for just that!!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jul 2023 08:05

Whereas I expect everyone else on here is checking just to see if you’ve posted

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Jul 2023 08:25

Not sure why anyone would be expecting anything to happen, the state we're in.

We seem to have at least a couple of unsigned players on tour and haven’t announced anything.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Jul 2023 09:53

Snowflake Royal Not sure why anyone would be expecting anything to happen, the state we're in.

We seem to have at least a couple of unsigned players on tour and haven’t announced anything.

Very much this - we have close to zero idea who, if anyone we are even allowed to bring in. Are we under embargo still? When will that be lifted, if at all?

If we are under embargo, we have to have a squad of 23 players of "professional standing" - which means 23 players who have made at least 1 app in any competition bar the EFL Trophy - so L2 and above and the 2 main cups, or in other leagues - so currently we have the following who fit that mould:

GK: Bouzanis, CBC, Andresson
DEF: Holmes, NGW, Abbey, Abrefa, McIntyre, Yiadom, Dorsett, Clarke, Stickland
MID: Senga, Hutchinson, Craig, Camada, Azeez, Ejaria
ST: Carroll, Ehibhatiomhan, Clarke

I'm possibly missing some, but I make that 21 - some like Matty Carson may count as he has played in N.Ireland - so if we find ourselves in embargo still then we can only sign 2 players and then only a 1 year deals.

So yeah, if we are to be restricted as above, we are going with what we have. The rumours of loans etc, suggest the club are at least planning that they won't be but again the lack of any information is just tiresome.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Jul 2023 10:25

Stranded
Snowflake Royal Not sure why anyone would be expecting anything to happen, the state we're in.

Very much this - we have close to zero idea who, if anyone we are even allowed to bring in. Are we under embargo still? When will that be lifted, if at all?

If we are under embargo, we have to have a squad of 23 players of "professional standing" - which means 23 players who have made at least 1 app in any competition bar the EFL Trophy - so L2 and above and the 2 main cups, or in other leagues - so currently we have the following who fit that mould:

I'm possibly missing some, but I make that 21 - some like Matty Carson may count as he has played in N.Ireland - so if we find ourselves in embargo still then we can only sign 2 players and then only a 1 year deals.

So yeah, if we are to be restricted as above, we are going with what we have. The rumours of loans etc, suggest the club are at least planning that they won't be but again the lack of any information is just tiresome.

I thought it was a squad of 25?

However if the above is correct, and other reports are to be believed, those 2 available places would already be filled by Theo Walcott and Harvey Knibbs.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 05 Jul 2023 10:31

Stranded

Unless we were to sell/loan out, which I'd probably expect us to do in those circumstances. From the list above, I'd probably say that CBC, Stickland, one of the two forwards and possibly Senga would be loaned out for a season in order for us to bring in a bit more quality and experience in relevant positions, especially midfield.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Jul 2023 10:36

Sutekh
Stranded

I thought it was a squad of 25?

However if the above is correct, and other reports are to be believed, those 2 available places would already be filled by Theo Walcott and Harvey Knibbs.

Was 25 under the terms of the agreed decision - now possible that could continue of course but if it drops off and we are in embargo for the other reasons, then we drop from 25 permitted player to 23 of professional standing - so actually in a worse position.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Jul 2023 11:28

Snowflake Royal
Elm Park Kid
URZZZZ
“Most of his time with us” - not sure that’s particularly accurate. Started off well before getting injured, had an awful period in January time before being one of our better players from mid-February time

Agree with OMA that he’s not someone we should be going back for but out of all the midfielders we’ve had these last couple of seasons, he’s been one of the better performing ones overall (very low bar admittedly)

Have to strongly, strongly disagree with 'overall'. Maybe my memory of this has just become frazzled, but i'm sure that he was atrocious from the moment he joined us. Like, literally one of the worst sets of performances I've ever seen from any professional footballer. I fully accept though that he improved significantly from February onward and was probably our best midfielder towards the end.

Basically it depends on what you remember and find important.

From the first game he made cheap error after cheap error every time he played. But in most of the early games and towards the end he also had periods in most games where he looked skillfull, composed and hardworking.

For me, in a player with that much experience and ability, the regular unforced errors are unforgiveable.

Agreed with the overall point - depends what you see as the biggest sin really

A player who is willing to get involved but at the expense of taking risks in the wrong areas (Drinkwater, Loum etc). A player who spends much of the game on the periphery but is capable of match winning moments (Fornah, Dele Bashiru etc). Or a player who keeps it safe and simple but without contributing a lot (Hendrick springs to mind)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Jul 2023 12:16

I think I'd have to put Drinkwater bottom of those examples.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Jul 2023 12:29

Brogue .

New Signing!

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 11 Jul 2023 10:28

The Man from the Mirror says:

Reading lined up host of free agents but can’t finalise deals with EFL amid ongoing tax bill. Ex-Cardiff striker Mark Harris, who has offers from elsewhere, one of them. Sean Clare, who left Charlton, another on list. Club hope to persuade players to stay patient

https://twitter.com/DarrenOWitcoop/stat ... 2668578818

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Jul 2023 10:34

morganb The Man from the Mirror says:

Reading lined up host of free agents but can’t finalise deals with EFL amid ongoing tax bill. Ex-Cardiff striker Mark Harris, who has offers from elsewhere, one of them. Sean Clare, who left Charlton, another on list. Club hope to persuade players to stay patient

https://twitter.com/DarrenOWitcoop/stat ... 2668578818

Both named would be decent additions at this level.

So it seems like Bowen and co and doing all they can and have multiple players lined up but again we are stuck waiting on this bill being paid. Just pay the bloody bill.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jul 2023 10:40

Don’t know a lot about either of them but they look solid enough. Harris a wide forward? Clare seems a big experienced CB at this level. 24 and 26. Seem the right type to be going for

Very frustrating this bill stuff. Looks like the players are there and ready to come

1360 posts