Who is the mystery LB

535 posts
Friday's Child

Re: Who is the mystery LB

by Friday's Child » 16 Aug 2008 18:25

If only we were more flexible than 4-4-2 (I've not seen us play resoundingly well with any other formation), then I would go for 3-5-2 tomorrow. Hunt and Rosenior could easily be wing-backs, and we have plenty of centre-backs to do the three at the back properly. Duberry, Bikey, and Sonko - now thats a force to be reckoned with!

Three in midfield? Maybe Karacan, Harper, and Cisse? And Marek (when he's fit) in place of one of them, behind the front two? Harper could lay back a little then and assume the "holding midfielder" type role that he likes... Then two up front. Bob's yer uncle.

If only we could actually do it, it would work a treat.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 16 Aug 2008 18:30

How about Stephen Hunt :)

Stevie G

by Stevie G » 17 Aug 2008 07:20

Unproven in this position at this level, wild legs, wild hair, we need him up front, scares the pants off me!

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 17 Aug 2008 19:19

With Coppell saying on Radio berks about a left midfielder maybe he will look at Richard Hughes at Pompey who is more of a Gary Speed type of player,i.e defensively minded but a good tackler and reasonable passer and much more of a physical presence than either Hunt or Convey.
Oh and I don't think he would cost a lot.

Jase_Royals

by Jase_Royals » 17 Aug 2008 21:33

Victor Meldrew With Coppell saying on Radio berks about a left midfielder maybe he will look at Richard Hughes at Pompey who is more of a Gary Speed type of player,i.e defensively minded but a good tackler and reasonable passer and much more of a physical presence than either Hunt or Convey.

Good shout, saw him play in a pre-season friendly down at H&W and he stood out in a reasonably strong pompey side bossing the midfield well! Although i believe Hughes's usual position is in the middle of the park, none the less i believe he would be a great addition to the squad adding a bit of steel to the side and as you stated he wouldn't break the bank! Saying that Redknapp has recently been saying his squad is extremely thin and i can't see him letting any member of his squad go unless he has a replacement else lined up!

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 17 Aug 2008 21:38

Jase_Royals
Victor Meldrew With Coppell saying on Radio berks about a left midfielder maybe he will look at Richard Hughes at Pompey who is more of a Gary Speed type of player,i.e defensively minded but a good tackler and reasonable passer and much more of a physical presence than either Hunt or Convey.

Good shout, saw him play in a pre-season friendly down at H&W and he stood out in a reasonably strong pompey side bossing the midfield well! Although i believe Hughes's usual position is in the middle of the park, none the less i believe he would be a great addition to the squad adding a bit of steel to the side and as you stated he wouldn't break the bank! Saying that Redknapp has recently been saying his squad is extremely thin and i can't see him letting any member of his squad go unless he has a replacement else lined up!

That is why he stood out!!!

Jase_Royals

by Jase_Royals » 17 Aug 2008 21:55

rg6royal
Jase_Royals

That is why he stood out!!!

Hence why i added this bit in numbnuts, just looked up the team on the net and it was as follows - Ashdown, Johnson, Hreidarsson, Primus, Wilson, Little, Hughes, Davis, Mvuemba, Sahar, Utaka! So what i was meaning is he suprisingly impressed me most over the rest of the pompey side! (With the obvious exception of a certain of magician out on the wing who is always a pleasure to watch!)

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 17 Aug 2008 21:59

Hence why i added this bit in numbnuts, just looked up the team on the net and it was as follows - Ashdown, Johnson, Hreidarsson, Primus, Wilson, Little, Hughes, Davis, Mvuemba, Sahar, Utaka! So what i was meaning is he suprisingly impressed me most over the rest of the pompey side! (With the obvious exception of a certain of magician out on the wing who is always a pleasure to watch!)

Still it was only H&W mate.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 18 Aug 2008 08:39

Arsenal left-back Kieron Gibbs, 18, is ready to join Championship Reading on a season-long loan. (The Sun)

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 18 Aug 2008 09:23

Whats the point in that?? Might as well play Kelly there instead!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Aug 2008 09:36

If Gibbs is better than what we currently have then there is plenty of point.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 18 Aug 2008 09:52

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 93,00.html

Reading chief executive Nigel Howe has hinted the club are looking to land Arsenal teenager Kieran Gibbs on a season-long loan.

The Royals are in the market for a left-back back following Nicky Shorey's departure to Aston Villa this summer.

Gibbs, 18, is low down in the pecking order at Emirates Stadium and a move to play regular first-team football could prove attractive.

Howe is hopeful the Championship club will be able to bolster their squad before the end of the transfer window, and he believe Gibbs could be a realistic target.

"It is important we get the right person in. Gibbs is the sort of player Arsenal will loan out," Howe said in the Daily Mirror.

"Signing a Premier League player for the season could be attractive to a club like ours."

Why's Nigel Howe involved?

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 18 Aug 2008 09:54

Do I not like this.

Baines
Hob Nob Regular

by Baines » 18 Aug 2008 10:00

That Friday Feeling http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_4004893,00.html

Reading chief executive Nigel Howe has hinted the club are looking to land Arsenal teenager Kieran Gibbs on a season-long loan.

The Royals are in the market for a left-back back following Nicky Shorey's departure to Aston Villa this summer.

Gibbs, 18, is low down in the pecking order at Emirates Stadium and a move to play regular first-team football could prove attractive.

Howe is hopeful the Championship club will be able to bolster their squad before the end of the transfer window, and he believe Gibbs could be a realistic target.

"It is important we get the right person in. Gibbs is the sort of player Arsenal will loan out," Howe said in the Daily Mirror.

"Signing a Premier League player for the season could be attractive to a club like ours."

Presumably because of his Arsenal connections.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 18 Aug 2008 10:13

You can't write him off because of his age (although maybe that gives us a bit of bargaining power). We want young and hungry players and he seems younger and hungrier than a lot of others. Mind you, I don't know what Golbourne thinks of all this.

http://youngguns.wordpress.com/2008/08/ ... als-gibbs/

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 18 Aug 2008 10:19

No, but you can write him off because he's not a left-back.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 18 Aug 2008 10:19

But he has played as a left-back.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 18 Aug 2008 10:21

Golbourne is due to play his first game in a while for the reserves at Southampton tonight due to a pelvic problem. If he comes through that OK then he most likely will take the LB role v Luton next week, after that if he falls off the radar again or is loaned out somewhere then reckon he'll be moved on at the end of the season.

Overall there could be quite a build up of left sided players at Reading IF current rumours prove to be true.... i.e. perm any 2 from

Hunt
Convey
Golbourne
Gibbs
Surman

so how would you keep that lot happy...?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 18 Aug 2008 11:08

That Friday Feeling http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_4004893,00.html

Because he's the CEO and aware of all the major activity that goes on at the club.

He would've been asked a question in some sort of press conference and given that as a pretty bland answer, it doesn't mean he's the one doing all the leg work.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 18 Aug 2008 11:09

Sarah Star But he has played as a left-back.

So have I.

535 posts