Rumour - Gary Hooper

1074 posts
Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Rumour - Gary Hooper

by Extended-Phenotype » 21 Jun 2013 13:05

CayeneMatt
SydenhamRoyal
Royal91 Pog thinks he's better than he is. He will be off.

Doesnt that require a club that Pog thinks are better than us thinking that Pog is better than he thinks he is?

Having read that 3 times, its a very good point....

Don't say it out loud to a mirror though.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 21 Jun 2013 13:56

So i guess if he indicates he wants to join us, we will make a decent offer for him. Fingers crossed

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 21 Jun 2013 15:09

CayeneMatt
SydenhamRoyal
Royal91 Pog thinks he's better than he is. He will be off.

Doesnt that require a club that Pog thinks are better than us thinking that Pog is better than he thinks he is?

Having read that 3 times, its a very good point....

Thing how many times I had to say it to myself to ensure I'd said what I meant - and that what I had meant made sense :shock:

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 21 Jun 2013 15:15

Hooper would be great, but I still think Pog would be fantastic at this level, as would Le Fondre and I believe Robson Kanu would do a great job up front if required, and if Sammuel is every going to play for Reading it ought to be in the Championship with supply from players like Kebe and Drenthe!

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 21 Jun 2013 15:27

PistolPete Hooper would be great, but I still think Pog would be fantastic at this level, as would Le Fondre and I believe Robson Kanu would do a great job up front if required, and if Sammuel is every going to play for Reading it ought to be in the Championship with supply from players like Kebe and Drenthe!

the only problem i have with pog are his wages are massive, especially for this level. if he wants to stay im sure we have the finances to keep him in the championship for one season, but if we dont go strait up his wages will be a problem next year.

imagine our strikeforce: pog, alfie, hooper, blackman, samuel. :shock:

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 21 Jun 2013 15:31

I expect there was a minimum 25% reduction in his wages after relegation. I imagine that they are nonetheless big yes, but we have NO IDEA how much the club has put aside for wages or transfer fees so really our only concern is playing standard and whether the person is good for the group.

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 21 Jun 2013 15:44

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 21 Jun 2013 16:28

Its been a long week.......

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 21 Jun 2013 16:52

Looking forward to my season ticket from you guys

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 21 Jun 2013 16:53

Wonder if we can get this to 1500 replies

largetrousers
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by largetrousers » 21 Jun 2013 17:00

Not seen Hooper in the flesh to comment fully on his ability, but based on youtube clips he knows where the back of the net is, but some of the opposition defending is shocking so it's hard to compare apples for apples with the league standards. A lot of his goals come from poacher situations, quick reactions, right place at right time etc, a bit like Le Fondre but i'd argue that Le Fondre looks better. I'd have thought that assuming Le Fondre was staying, we'd be looking to sign a quick strong forward that a poacher-type player can play off of once the bigger fast forward has created the space in the opposition defence?

Really hope the Pog goes. Yes he would score more in the Championship because the level is lower than last year, and yes under Adkins system it will play more to his strengths with balls to feet, but he's massively overrated, if we can exchange him or get any money for him, i'd be happy to see him go. He's been training with Simon Church too long as he never jumps for the ball to knock it on for advancing players, he's got the pace of a milkfloat, and he's not really in the right place at the right time so doesn't seem to have the speed of thought to get him into those dangerous positions. I know he often played up top on his own, and perhaps did the best he could, but it wasn't dynamic enough, it was boring, predictable, and easy to defend against.

I'd rather we went for someone like Rhodes - it'd also show massive intent and get more bums on seats with more ST renewals etc.

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 21 Jun 2013 17:06

largetrousers Not seen Hooper in the flesh to comment fully on his ability, but based on youtube clips he knows where the back of the net is, but some of the opposition defending is shocking so it's hard to compare apples for apples with the league standards. A lot of his goals come from poacher situations, quick reactions, right place at right time etc, a bit like Le Fondre but i'd argue that Le Fondre looks better. I'd have thought that assuming Le Fondre was staying, we'd be looking to sign a quick strong forward that a poacher-type player can play off of once the bigger fast forward has created the space in the opposition defence?

Really hope the Pog goes. Yes he would score more in the Championship because the level is lower than last year, and yes under Adkins system it will play more to his strengths with balls to feet, but he's massively overrated, if we can exchange him or get any money for him, i'd be happy to see him go. He's been training with Simon Church too long as he never jumps for the ball to knock it on for advancing players, he's got the pace of a milkfloat, and he's not really in the right place at the right time so doesn't seem to have the speed of thought to get him into those dangerous positions. I know he often played up top on his own, and perhaps did the best he could, but it wasn't dynamic enough, it was boring, predictable, and easy to defend against.

I'd rather we went for someone like Rhodes - it'd also show massive intent and get more bums on seats with more ST renewals etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOgDjHcJqN8

Za Vas

by Za Vas » 21 Jun 2013 17:12

largetrousers Not seen Hooper in the flesh to comment fully on his ability, but based on youtube clips he knows where the back of the net is, but some of the opposition defending is shocking so it's hard to compare apples for apples with the league standards.

He also played for Scunthorpe in the Championship, where he scored 40 odd goals in around 80 games in a team that struggled for most of their time in the league. Funnily enough when he and Adkins left that was the end of Scunthorpe in the Championship (IIRC).

Whitleyroyal

by Whitleyroyal » 21 Jun 2013 17:18

akranes
largetrousers Not seen Hooper in the flesh to comment fully on his ability, but based on youtube clips he knows where the back of the net is, but some of the opposition defending is shocking so it's hard to compare apples for apples with the league standards. A lot of his goals come from poacher situations, quick reactions, right place at right time etc, a bit like Le Fondre but i'd argue that Le Fondre looks better. I'd have thought that assuming Le Fondre was staying, we'd be looking to sign a quick strong forward that a poacher-type player can play off of once the bigger fast forward has created the space in the opposition defence?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOgDjHcJqN8

Wow I had no idea he had this in his locker!!

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 21 Jun 2013 17:23

Whitleyroyal

Wow I had no idea he had this in his locker!!

That's nothing, you should see what Kenwyne Jones has in his locker!

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 21 Jun 2013 18:18

maffff That's nothing, you should see what Kenwyne Jones has in his locker!

Now for some reason something is telling me that's not a link anyone decent should want to follow.

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 21 Jun 2013 18:24

largetrousers Really hope the Pog goes, he's got the pace of a milkfloat,

not sure. they're faster than they used to be when i was a lad

SpaghettiHoop

by SpaghettiHoop » 21 Jun 2013 20:09

Pablo Osvaldo to Southampton. Rickie Lambert to Reading.

Unbelievable Jeff

by Unbelievable Jeff » 21 Jun 2013 21:17

SpaghettiHoop Pablo Osvaldo to Southampton. Rickie Lambert to Reading.

Where did you hear about Osvaldo to Soton?

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 21 Jun 2013 22:33

Za Vas
largetrousers Not seen Hooper in the flesh to comment fully on his ability, but based on youtube clips he knows where the back of the net is, but some of the opposition defending is shocking so it's hard to compare apples for apples with the league standards.

He also played for Scunthorpe in the Championship, where he scored 40 odd goals in around 80 games

Nope. 19 in 35. He only played one championship season with Scunthorpe.

1074 posts