RUMOUR - Simon Church

178 posts
RockheadRumple

Re: RUMOUR - Simon Church

by RockheadRumple » 27 May 2012 21:02

I'd like to remind you of LeFondre's great goals vs Derby, Southampton and Watford as opposed to Church's single great finish vs Leeds. Really, they're both fairly similar players and LeFondre is better than Church in almost every respect.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Simon Church

by Royalee » 27 May 2012 21:40

sandman Send Le Fondre instead.

Are you on a windup?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 27 May 2012 21:42

sandman Along with McCarthy Le Fondre is the most overrated player in the squad and a few lucky tap ins doesn't change that. In fact Le Fondre is almost as overrated as Jamie Cureton was. Which probably explains why you people see the same qualities in him that you did in Cureton.

There were players last season that scored goals that were just as important as Le Fondre but they don't get the praise he does because they weren't scored at the end of the season. Where would we have been without Manset's goals against Millwall and Bristol City? What about Church's goal against Leeds? The crucial opener against Doncaster that lifted the team immediately and enbled them to become the ruthless winning machine it became? If it wasn't for Le Fondre's reckless challenge on the keeper at Selhurst Park and his glaring miss at Bloomfield Road we'd have been promoted earlier than we were.

Any poor performances Church had last season were the fault of you people and your constant badgering and intimidation. How do you think a player feels when his own fan get on his back with non-stop jibes? There is a guy near me who is constantly screaming and shouting abuse at Church yet whenever he has left 15 minutes before the end Church's confidence immediately lifts and he usually scores. That's the effect you people have and if he does move I'm sure he'll be able to become the very good player that he has shown he can be.

Nice fishing :lol:

Royals-lad14

by Royals-lad14 » 27 May 2012 22:03

sandman Along with McCarthy Le Fondre is the most overrated player in the squad and a few lucky tap ins doesn't change that. In fact Le Fondre is almost as overrated as Jamie Cureton was. Which probably explains why you people see the same qualities in him that you did in Cureton.

There were players last season that scored goals that were just as important as Le Fondre but they don't get the praise he does because they weren't scored at the end of the season. Where would we have been without Manset's goals against Millwall and Bristol City? What about Church's goal against Leeds? The crucial opener against Doncaster that lifted the team immediately and enbled them to become the ruthless winning machine it became? If it wasn't for Le Fondre's reckless challenge on the keeper at Selhurst Park and his glaring miss at Bloomfield Road we'd have been promoted earlier than we were.

Any poor performances Church had last season were the fault of you people and your constant badgering and intimidation. How do you think a player feels when his own fan get on his back with non-stop jibes? There is a guy near me who is constantly screaming and shouting abuse at Church yet whenever he has left 15 minutes before the end Church's confidence immediately lifts and he usually scores. That's the effect you people have and if he does move I'm sure he'll be able to become the very good player that he has shown he can be.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: all i can do is laugh at that

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 May 2012 22:20

Friday's Legacy If there are clubs that believe he is a real catch, then sell while we can get the highest value for him.

Roberts, Le Fondre and Hunt are all ahead of Church, and we're looking at bringing in at least one striker, possibly two. Church has got to go. He's had more than long enough.

Yeah, pretty much this.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 27 May 2012 22:47

GSY-Royal http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11688/7781886/

[i]Sky Sports understands a number of Championship clubs are chasing Reading striker Simon Church.

Church, who is away on international duty with Wales for the weekend friendly with Mexico, is thought to be attracting the interest of the likes of Bolton, Leicester and Brighton.

JS28ZoD

by JS28ZoD » 28 May 2012 00:08

I have no doubt Church will go on to become a very good player and think he has been an important member of the squad for the last few seasons.

I feel the time is right for him to move now though as he will inevitably move down the pecking order next season and I think he will be able to command a fee with add ons etc being worth in excess of £1m to the club which again is testament to the work being done at all levels.

I'm sure there will be plenty of interest in him so wouldn't be surprised if he was sold.

LeFondreforEngland

by LeFondreforEngland » 28 May 2012 01:26

People, we need to stop getting sentimental here just because he's been here for yonks. He's just not good enough, that's not to say that Hunt et al are but the player in question is Church and he's not a premiership player.

LeFondreforEngland

by LeFondreforEngland » 28 May 2012 01:27

i.e. if we can get £1m + for him then :mrgreen:

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 28 May 2012 13:52

I cannot make my mind up about Church. I think there is a good player in there somewhere and he might just thrive within the right team. However I don't think that is Reading.

We are committed to play with width and Church is not a target man (like Roberts) or a poacher (like ALF). He has lots of energy and I think he is a player who would do better in a team that played a more narrow formation. Only time will tell but I think it will be best for him to go this summer as he will only play a bit part with us next season and he "might" yet do well in another Championship team.

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 28 May 2012 15:10

I would say that Simon Church would be missed from the sqaud. But I cant

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 28 May 2012 15:19

If he cannot be utilised as Gylfi bait, get rid.

RoyalJames101
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalJames101 » 28 May 2012 21:57

The thing is, most of this is true. Not saying I don't rate Le Fondre as a player, but he's no where near our best striker. Hunt is better than him as far as I'm concerned.

M-U-R-T-Y
Hob Nob Regular

RUMOUR - Church to Bolton

by M-U-R-T-Y » 31 May 2012 00:15

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 31 May 2012 09:44

Sometimes you just have to admit that a player won't reach his potential playing for the club and it's time to move on and I'm leaning towards that feeling with Church.

While he has shown flashes of skill and his effort can't be faulted, that doesn't mean he's destined to be a Premier League player. We've seen players like Stuart Lovell, Lee Nogan, Martin Butler and Nicky Forster all have great seasons but ultimately they weren't quite up to the grade and they just petered out.

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 31 May 2012 09:49

sandman Along with McCarthy Le Fondre is the most overrated player in the squad and a few lucky tap ins doesn't change that. In fact Le Fondre is almost as overrated as Jamie Cureton was.

Had to stop reading there.

NR_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by NR_Royal » 31 May 2012 10:48

mr_number
sandman Along with McCarthy Le Fondre is the most overrated player in the squad and a few lucky tap ins doesn't change that. In fact Le Fondre is almost as overrated as Jamie Cureton was.

Had to stop reading there.

That's because it was the end, I guess? :lol:

Elmer Park

by Elmer Park » 31 May 2012 11:54

andrew1957 I think there is a good player in there somewhere and he might just thrive within the right team. However I don't think that is Reading

Wimb Sometimes you just have to admit that a player won't reach his potential playing for the club and it's time to move on and I'm leaning towards that feeling with Church.

I agree with the above quotes. I also think whoever manages him needs to find the right role to get the best out of him. He seemed to try to be Jason Roberts when he either came on as sub for him or replaced him in the side at Birmingham, whether under instructions or not. This is not the role for Church. Firstly he isn't physically strong enough and secondly instead of just getting his body between the opponent and the ball as Roberts might do he kept backing in to the defender and being too easily shrugged off the ball by stronger opponents.

As andrew said I think there is a player in there somewhere. As a footballer I think he is a little immature. Often still looks like a promising eighteen year old who could be good in a couple of years. I am also not convinced his confidence is the highest. I think that was one reason McDermott kept picking him or making him the first sub he brought on when many would not have done. Churchy must be aware the fans have lost some faith in him and whilst you have to deal with that as a professional footballer I don't think it's helped him.

That's the reason I agree with Wimb about him moving on. It would be a wrench after so long and especially after the Club reaching the Premier League but if he got off to a good start somewhere maybe he could kick start his career. Personally I think he would be best served by a move to a good League One Club like Antonio made when he went on loan to Sheffield Wednesday. I think he might score goals at that level and get the confidence to become a good Championship striker in time. He needs to make sure his next Club is the right one for him. I think expectations at Leicester might make that not such a good move for him. If he has the choice of Leicester, Bolton and Brighton, I think Brighton might be the best Club for him.

Alternatively he might tear up the Premier League and hit 20 goals for Reading next season.

W&E Royal

by W&E Royal » 15 Jun 2012 23:14

Hello all.

Not a regular poster by any means but I thought I'd share....

A new girl has started in my department at work, she has a friend who is the girlfriend of Simon Church. I think she said her name was Catherine, I might be wrong there though.

Anyway, she said her friend had said that they expect to move house this summer, they expect to move to Brighton.

That's all.

RockheadRumple

by RockheadRumple » 15 Jun 2012 23:24

Who do you think you are, CamberlyRoyal?

178 posts