SPECULATION - Players Leaving/Staying

203 posts
Upper West Ginger

Re: Players Leaving

by Upper West Ginger » 04 May 2008 12:48

There are two opposing questions here:
1) If we go down, who would you like to get rid of?
and
2) If we go down, who do you think will actually leave?

Our laughable so-called Premier League strikers might see themselves as destined for better things than the CCC, but nobody in the Premier League would be mad enough to buy them.

Our Midfield might be purchased by some experimental physics laboratory, seeking to investigate the properties of vacuums and black holes, but otherwise I suspect there would be few takers.

Our defensive record speaks for itself. If you were a Reading defender trying to sell yourself, would "Not quite as bad as Derby" be a strong recommendation to employ?

The way I feel about our team at the moment, I'd happily feed most of them into a mincing machine and sell them as dog food.

The only bright side is that next season in the CCC we may see some of the youngsters get a first team game at last.

At what stage does "Coppell Out" lose its ironic status? :evil:

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 04 May 2008 12:53

Part of the reason why we'd own the Championship is that every other fan I speak to finds it amusing when I say that Bikey and Matejovsky are good enough to play in the Premiership. But they are, they are our only bright lights. Yet nobody knows, they have escaped everyone's radar and will probably stay with us if we go down, especially in Bikey's case where he's most famous for his ANC incident. Bikey and Matejovsky will be a class above the Championship if we go down, yet I can't see any Premiership team chasing them. They'll propel us back up.

07RFC

by 07RFC » 04 May 2008 13:00

rhroyal Part of the reason why we'd own the Championship is that every other fan I speak to finds it amusing when I say that Bikey and Matejovsky are good enough to play in the Premiership. But they are, they are our only bright lights. Yet nobody knows, they have escaped everyone's radar and will probably stay with us if we go down, especially in Bikey's case where he's most famous for his ANC incident. Bikey and Matejovsky will be a class above the Championship if we go down, yet I can't see any Premiership team chasing them. They'll propel us back up.

i really hope so, but I can see them being snapped up someone like west brom or a french league 1 side

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

Who goes and who stays....

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 05 May 2008 12:40

assuming that irrespective of which league we are in next season, this team will finally be dismantled - so who is likely to stay and who will they release...

Murty, Ingimarsson, Duberry, Oster, Hahnemann,Sonko, Little , Convey - Released

Shorey, Hunt, Fae,Lita - Sold

Doyle,Kitson, Bikey, Matej, Rosenior , Harper (alas), Long, - Retained

crossie
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Who goes and who stays....

by crossie » 05 May 2008 12:41

Why do people keep repeating the same things?! There's probably 2 other threads about this.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 05 May 2008 12:46

I've always assumed it was some kind of character flaw.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 05 May 2008 13:01

These threads make laugh. That is all I have to say.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 05 May 2008 19:40

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY assuming that irrespective of which league we are in next season, this team will finally be dismantled - so who is likely to stay and who will they release...

Murty, Ingimarsson, Duberry, Oster, Hahnemann,Sonko, Little , Convey - Released

Shorey, Hunt, Fae,Lita - Sold

Doyle,Kitson, Bikey, Matej, Rosenior , Harper (alas), Long, - Retained

Why would they release them?? I mean, I understand murts, but its hardly gonna happen is it?

I was there at Elm Park

by I was there at Elm Park » 05 May 2008 19:58

I can't believe that people think Marek and Bikey will stay. Marek has worked bloody hard to get into the Czech Republic scene and I doubt he feels need to compromise that by staying with us if we go down. We seem to have forgotten that he has EURO 2008 to impress potential employers. I reckon he'll end up in Germany. A lot of Czechs play there and he must have been noticed by them when he scored against them. As for Bikey by the sound of it apart from the steward incident he had an excellent AoN and there are plenty of Premiership scouts there and no doubt plenty of our opponents in the last month would have been very impressed by him. Could be an ideal replacement for Wilson Palacios at Wigan. Anyway lets hope all this talk ends up being a waste of time!

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 06 May 2008 09:15

I have something else to say.

For players to leave someone else has to want them. Now my guess is that our better players (and that is a very select club) will only want to leave to play in the Premiership, and that means that a Premiership club is going to have to part with some cash (probably quite a lot of cash) to get us to agree to sell.

If we do go down it mean that these players aren't good enough collectively, so who is going to want them?

Shorey - he is almost a cert to go, but I'm not bothered. He has been distinctly average for most of this season and very poor defensively.

Doyle - has scored since November and hasn't scored with his feet all season. Will there be a Prem club who would want him for the money it will take to get him?

Kitson - seems to have been sulking a bit since his drink driving conviction and does not look committed to the cause.

Lita - I think he will stay if we go down, unless a big money offer comes in for him which is unlikely given his lack of Premiership goals.

Matejovsky - only just joined and I would be surprised if we allowed a clause in his contract allowing him to leave if we are relegated. He has not done enough to encourage any clubs to bid big for him.

Hunt - if Sunderland want to offer around £5m for him again I will personally drive him up there.

Convey - I really hope he doesn't leave, but he may feel like he needs to given his lack of opportunities this season.

Bikey - not done enough to attract any bidders from other Premiership clubs.

Rosenior - see Bikey.

Harper - I think he needs a new challenge. He has been a loyal servant to the club but his career needs a fresh challenge.

Fae - Bye bye.

size 12

by size 12 » 06 May 2008 10:23

rg6royal Fae
Sonko
Doobs
Shorey
De La Cruz

Our team next season...

Fed
Rosenier Bikey Ingi Golbourne
Henry Marek Harper Convey
Lita Kitson

Plus Glenn Little and Alex Pearce, money spent on a decent third striker and a replacement in centre midfield for Harper, and there is the making of a pretty good side

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 06 May 2008 11:21

If they're under contract then you keep as many as is financially viable. West Brom retained many of their squad AND added expensive additions.

I'd be surprised if Reading didn't cash in on Doyle, Hunt and Shorey, and I'd be even more surprised if we spent serious money on some key signings in that division.

Same old same old. One big signing each summer and fingers crossed on a few crafty bargains.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 06 May 2008 11:29

Wycombe Royal Doyle - has scored since November and hasn't scored with his feet all season. Will there be a Prem club who would want him for the money it will take to get him?

They could probably get him now for a lot less than a year ago, so might think it's a gamble worth taking.

And - dammit! - he's the player more than any other who would probably benefit from a change of scenery.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 06 May 2008 12:02

i reckon harps and kitson may stay if allowed-reckon they are loyal, but what do i know

personally id get rid of hunt and shorey and get some more cash
plus DLC etc and the oldies

im totally gutted i will be unable to give the players who will be going the send of they deserve for the last three seasons of unbelievable achievements, and the greatest three years in our history

open topped bus tour anybody?

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 06 May 2008 20:44

i wouldnt give Harper the option of staying - hes one of the reasons the trap door is fully open - he needs to go back and be educated and understand the roles and responsibilities of central midfield player. He obviously didnt attend any further lessons after he learnt about pointing and arm waving

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 06 May 2008 20:51

I think Marek will stay, at least until January. Aside form his goal at Anfield, he's not really appeared on the radar and yes, he's probably in the Czech Euro 2008 squad but he's won't start unless Rosicky is unavailable.

I think Bikey will stay unless we get an offer that's too good to turn down. I get the impression he likes it here and appeciates the chance we gave him.

As for those I think will go:

Shorey
Duberry - I actually think he can do a decent job in the Championship but he's out of contract
Hunt - We will cash in and get a hefty wage off the books.
We may also cash in on Doyle
Fae and good riddance
Sonko - although he's made a few consiliatory coments in the past week, I think he's pissed his chips as far as the club is concerned.
De La Cruz could do a very capable job at left back in the Championship but I don't think he'll get his contract renewed.
Is Oster's contrct up? If so, he'll go.

I think Kitson will stay
Lita hs put his own cause back at least a year so I think he'll stay. Is his contract up at the end next season? If so, stick around, score a few goals an bag a big payout on a Bosman.

shaka's shorts

Re: SPECULATION - Players Leaving

by shaka's shorts » 06 May 2008 22:56

If we go down....

I think we will sell these for a fee - Shorey, Hunt, Kitson, Matejovsky (only players anyone will want and pay a reasonable fee for) _+ Fae of course

Release - Bennett, Sodje, Stack, Halls, Oster, Golbourne, Doobs (we have loads of CB's), Bozanic, Osano, Davies

1 year contract - Dela & USA

Squad for next year:
USA, Fed, Hamer, (Anderson loan)
Murty, Rosenior, Dela, new LB, Kelly
Ingi, Bikey, Sonko, Cisse, Pearce (Bygrave on loan)
Harps, Karacan, Gunn, +2 new CM
Little, Henry, Kebe, Convey, +1 LM
Lita, Doyle, Long, Robson-Kanu, +1 CF

If we stay up - it will be the same, except only Shorey & Fae will be sold, but we will buy 3 or 4 good young championship players & a couple of african internationals

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: SPECULATION - Players Leaving

by Southbank Old Boy » 07 May 2008 08:27

Interesting comment from Murty on the readio yesterday. From a players perspective he doesn't expect too many bids to come in for relegated players because historically there isn't much clamour for players from the relegated sides.

Personally I think he's probably wrong and there will be serious interest in a number of our lot, I can see bids coming in for

Shorey
Hunt
Doyle
Kitson
Lita
and maybe Bikey and possibly Sonko

Ironic that I'm predicting our three forwards will spark more interest than most of our side considering our lack of goals is looking like getting us relegated.

07RFC

Players on their way out

by 07RFC » 08 May 2008 15:32

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... _club_fine

Ibrahima Sonko has lost his appeal against being fined two weeks’ wages and suspended from the club for a fortnight.

As we revealed yesterday, Royals’ central defender tried to have his punishment for refusing to play for the reserves overturned. But director of football Nick Hammond has upheld manager Steve Coppell’s sanctions.

Emerse Fae, who was hit with the same penalty, decided not to appeal, but has made it clear he wants to leave after a miserable first season in English football. The Ivory Coast midfielder will be allowed to leave providing Royals recoup most of the £2.5 million they paid Nantes for him.

Hammond told the Evening Post: “Sonks did appeal. I think he wanted to clear things up and bring things to a conclusion, which is what we did.”

Meanwhile I understand Hammond will be in eastern Europe this weekend to look at a couple of potential signings.

There is set to be a big turnaround in personnel this summer regardless of what division the club finds itself in.

Nicky Shorey is expected to quit, with Aston Villa, West Ham and Newcastle interested. Leroy Lita could also go, while John Oster, Ulises de la Cruz, Graham Stack, Sam Sodje and Aaron Brown are all on their way out.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

Re: Players on their way out

by Row Z Royal » 08 May 2008 15:41

YOU'VE ALREADY STARTED YOUR OWN BLOODY THREAD ON THIS

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=75271

203 posts