SPECULATION - Charlie Austin

483 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: SPECULATION - Charlie Austin

by Ian Royal » 03 Jun 2010 17:29

BR2
Kitson12 Leeds have just signed Billy Paynter on a free, possible missed opportunity there?

I know he has been injured recently but in the few games I have seen he hasn't looked that special.
Also what type of forward do we want ,if any?
This season we should surely only be looking at players that we think could be capable of playing in The Premiership within the next couple of years and not players who at best are only ever likely to be Championship level-we have enough of those already.

If you spend all your time looking at the sky you trip over your feet. You might want to ask a certain Mr B Rodgers about that.

dobcheck

by dobcheck » 06 Dec 2010 19:26

Hammond was at Swindon on Saturday, apparently he was there to watch Austin and a centre back called Sean Morrisson?

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 06 Dec 2010 19:33

dobcheck Hammond was at Swindon on Saturday, apparently he was there to watch Austin and a centre back called Sean Morrisson?

Perhaps we should have looked at Austin more carefully when he was part of the RFC academy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Austin

Apparently we thought he was too small. Ironic as he is now 6 foot 2.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 06 Dec 2010 21:17

andrew1957
dobcheck Hammond was at Swindon on Saturday, apparently he was there to watch Austin and a centre back called Sean Morrisson?

Perhaps we should have looked at Austin more carefully when he was part of the RFC academy.

More so when we've had Sammy Igoe and Jay Tabb in recent years.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 06 Dec 2010 22:37

Mate of mine knows Austin, he wouldn't be interested in a move to Reading, only to a big championship club or the prem. He also quite likes Swindon a lot and isn't shouting to leave the place.

1871 Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by 1871 Royal » 06 Dec 2010 23:47

Charlie Austins Wiki page 2004–2006 Thatcham Town 59 (73)

:shock:

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 07 Dec 2010 00:04

I'd have him in the team/squad in a heartbeat!

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 07 Dec 2010 07:56

andrew1957

Nicky Hammond was Academy Manager when Charlie Austin was at the club and on fire for the academy teams. NH then bought a certain Simon Church from Wycombe for £10K and because they'd spent outright cash on signing him, they made him play every game - ahead of the in form Austin.

Austin got fed up with the club and left to play for various clubs around Hungerford way before the family moved down to the coast and he signed for Poole. His good form at Poole meant that one of the directors who moved from there to Swindon took him with him.

Anyway, the real rumour with any substance is that Austin will be going to Millwall.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 07 Dec 2010 09:41

FiNeRaIn Mate of mine knows Austin, he wouldn't be interested in a move to Reading, only to a big championship club or the prem. He also quite likes Swindon a lot and isn't shouting to leave the place.

Garbage!

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 07 Dec 2010 10:08

I would rather we went for Adam Lallana

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 07 Dec 2010 11:29

roadrunner
FiNeRaIn Mate of mine knows Austin, he wouldn't be interested in a move to Reading, only to a big championship club or the prem. He also quite likes Swindon a lot and isn't shouting to leave the place.

Garbage!

I've heard similar. But one of the other reasons why Austin wouldn't come here is personal. Big foot has already explained about austin's youth at reading fc and from what I've heard that's pretty much why he wouldnt come back. My source is someone very high up at swindon town fc (and that's not someone sitting on the stadium roof!!).

Someone also mentioned something about sean morrison on here. He's a bloody good defender and was on the verge of joining celtic a couple of years ago along with coxy but the clubs couldnt agree on a price. But I honestly doubt we'd go for him seeing as we have sufficient cover.

dobcheck

by dobcheck » 07 Dec 2010 13:13

Millwall had a bid rejected either in the summer or before the transfer window, cannot remember which so that is not a rumour thats old news.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 07 Dec 2010 13:36

Church >>>> Austin everyday of the week.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 07 Dec 2010 13:58

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Church >>>> Austin everyday of the week.

Other than Saturdays.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 07 Dec 2010 15:41

Victor Meldrew
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Church >>>> Austin everyday of the week.

Other than Saturdays.

Or any other matchdays. Or weekdays when they train. But on their off days, that Church is really something.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 07 Dec 2010 15:45

Plymouth_Royal
roadrunner

Garbage!

I've heard similar. But one of the other reasons why Austin wouldn't come here is personal. Big foot has already explained about austin's youth at reading fc and from what I've heard that's pretty much why he wouldnt come back. My source is someone very high up at swindon town fc (and that's not someone sitting on the stadium roof!!).

Someone also mentioned something about sean morrison on here. He's a bloody good defender and was on the verge of joining celtic a couple of years ago along with coxy but the clubs couldnt agree on a price. But I honestly doubt we'd go for him seeing as we have sufficient cover.

do we have sufficient cover if brynn and ivar never regain fitness?

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 14 Dec 2010 16:54

roadrunner

Garbage!

I agree, I was his postman for 2 years, until he moved to Swindon. I'm sure he has personal problems with Reading, but he would relish (the pay) chance to prove himself at the next level - like any self respecting athlete!

He's a poacher, not a regular 40+ starter and heartbeat of an attack. He will not move to a premiership club at all - I'll stake my forum reputation on that!!

I want to see Cox play for us again... Much more likely to lead our line

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 15 Dec 2010 16:27

skipper
roadrunner

Garbage!

I agree, I was his postman for 2 years, until he moved to Swindon. I'm sure he has personal problems with Reading, but he would relish (the pay) chance to prove himself at the next level - like any self respecting athlete!

He's a poacher, not a regular 40+ starter and heartbeat of an attack. He will not move to a premiership club at all - I'll stake my forum reputation on that!!

Agree, however I can't see us affording his transfer fee, sadly.

skipper I want to see Cox play for us again... Much more likely to lead our line

As above.

shaka's shorts

by shaka's shorts » 22 Dec 2010 12:03

BBC linking us with Austin again today. Wouldn't say no, and only 18 months left on his contract says they may have to sell him now or risk losing him for less in the summer......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 312165.stm

Swindon Town's Charlie Austin has admitted he is unsure about his future at the County Ground.

The 21-year-old has scored 14 goals so far this term, with Town turning down a bid from Hull and receiving an enquiry from Reading.

"Talks are still going on between me and my agent and the club," Austin told BBC Wiltshire.

"I've got 18 months left on my contract and I'm still talking to the club so we can only wait and see."

Austin, who joined Town last year from non-league Poole Town, signed a two-and-a-half year deal in February and scored 20 goals in his first season at the club.

But he added that he hoped to finish the current campaign at the County ground.

"Obviously I'm a Swindon Town player and hopefully I can be after January," Austin added. "I just need to get my head down and working hard."

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 22 Dec 2010 12:13

Lets get one thing clear, players are greedy and whatever went on before Austin will sign for Reading if the money's right.

483 posts