Tommy Smith - Gazumped by Pompey - Thread

2326 posts
Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: The Unruined Tommy Smith RUMOUR Thread

by Arch » 19 Aug 2009 17:06

He's not that grate. I've cinnamon TV and wasn't impressed. He lacks zest.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 19 Aug 2009 17:15

if he does not sign its gonna take one hell of a tamarind in form to get promoted this season

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 19 Aug 2009 17:58

Isn't a tamarind a monkey-type creature? :|

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 19 Aug 2009 18:20

In the past I have always supported our transfer policy and how Hammond has applied it but the pursuit of Smith has turned into a farce. BR has made it clear from day one that he is desperate to get Smith, which does not put us in the greatest negotiation position in the first place - then the negotiations have gone like this.

Hammond to Watford - we will offer you 750K for Smith
Watford - No we want 1.8M

6 weeks go by

Hammond to Watford - we will offer you 1.2M for Smith

Hammond to Watford - we will offer you 1.6M for Smith

It would not surprise me if they turn it down again as this has worked so far. We have made our position all but impossible and are we really prepared to walk away from what appears to be our only transfer target for the sake of £200,000 - just to save our blushes at having to pay full price. If so we deserve all we get this season.

Come on Hammond - we have completely messed up this negotiation which seems to have mainly been conducted in the press - if we have to pay the full asking price just get on with it.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 19 Aug 2009 18:23

Arch He's not that grate. I've cinnamon TV and wasn't impressed. He lacks zest.

You sure your not taking the pith?

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 19 Aug 2009 18:27

andrew1957 In the past I have always supported our transfer policy and how Hammond has applied it but the pursuit of Smith has turned into a farce. BR has made it clear from day one that he is desperate to get Smith, which does not put us in the greatest negotiation position in the first place - then the negotiations have gone like this.

Hammond to Watford - we will offer you 750K for Smith

6 weeks go by

Hammond to Watford - we will offer you 1.2M for Smith

Hammond to Watford - we will offer you 1.6M for Smith

It would not surprise me if they turn it down again as this has worked so far. We have made our position all but impossible and are we really prepared to walk away from what appears to be our only transfer target for the sake of £200,000 - just to save our blushes at having to pay full price. If so we deserve all we get this season.

Come on Hammond - we have completely messed up this negotiation which seems to have mainly been conducted in the press - if we have to pay the full asking price just get on with it.

Pure speculation!

Since when do Reading FC conduct their business through any form of media? Chill out! I mean, what can we actually do about the situation? What's the point in getting wound up about something totally out of our control? If you don't like it, feck off and support chelski.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 19 Aug 2009 18:38

Since BR became manager. I wonder if we'd have a deal done by now if he'd kept his mouth shut earlier in the saga.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 19 Aug 2009 18:39

Hammond confirms we have made a bid this week for an unnamed player, assumed to be Smith.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 19 Aug 2009 18:39

Royal Lady Isn't a tamarind a monkey-type creature? :|

Well, we are offering peanuts.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 19 Aug 2009 18:42

What I am wondering is - is our scouting network so poor that we can't identify a singular player we can afford that would strengthen our squad. Surely, as we knew that Watford were playing hard to get over TS, we should have had alternative plans in place long before - even if Watford knew that we were considering an alternative player could help to ease their decision our way. But this way it just looks like we're desperate and I'd say we are desperate!

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 19 Aug 2009 18:43

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY And to be honest based on the reports and performances by Smith - the Watford board arent too far off the mark in his valuation either! - just that we are such a tight arse outfit we arent prepared to accept we may need to pay a bit more - so fooking short sighted and in some ways I hope Smith tells Egoman and his grapefeeder Hammond to shove it up their arses!

Reading Post says we've upped the bid for Smith twice already this week. It's certainly stingy, but it's also clever. If a club are in need of funds, a player refuses to sign a new contract and then refuses to go to a club who have made a sensible offer, then surely it's worth a punt of putting in a "derisory" offer for him, and then slowly increasing the bid the longer the window goes on? £1.6m is the last offer I've heard, so we're not far off the valuation and if that bid is accepted, then we'll have saved £200,000.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 19 Aug 2009 18:43

Royalwaster What I am wondering is - is our scouting network so poor that we can't identify a singular player we can afford that would strengthen our squad. Surely, as we knew that Watford were playing hard to get over TS, we should have had alternative plans in place long before - even if Watford knew that we were considering an alternative player could help to ease their decision our way. But this way it just looks like we're desperate and I'd say we are desperate!

Or maybe........Smith is the best player we can get who would be interested in joining us.

This isn't Football Manager, there aren't loads of amazing cheap players in obscure leagues who are desperate to come to Reading.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 19 Aug 2009 18:47

winchester_royal
Royalwaster What I am wondering is - is our scouting network so poor that we can't identify a singular player we can afford that would strengthen our squad. Surely, as we knew that Watford were playing hard to get over TS, we should have had alternative plans in place long before - even if Watford knew that we were considering an alternative player could help to ease their decision our way. But this way it just looks like we're desperate and I'd say we are desperate!

Or maybe........Smith is the best player we can get who would be interested in joining us.

This isn't Football Manager, there aren't loads of amazing cheap players in obscure leagues who are desperate to come to Reading.

But other clubs seem to be able to sign decent players from other clubs and leagues - it just seems we are not able to, although saying that I guess we've signed a few foreign players in the last few seasons.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 19 Aug 2009 18:48

Royalwaster
winchester_royal

But other clubs seem to be able to sign decent players from other clubs and leagues - it just seems we are not able to, although saying that I guess we've signed a few foreign players in the last few seasons.

Tommy Smith is a proven, experienced talent. And is exactly what we need ATM.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 19 Aug 2009 18:50

True - but we need a plan B. Are you saying that if Watford don't sell or if someone else comes in for him we've got no plan B?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 19 Aug 2009 19:01

Terminal Boardom Since when do Reading FC conduct their business through any form of media?

Since Rodgers opened his gob in pre-season?

For instance:

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/readingfc/s/2052431_tommy_smith_is_top_transfer_target June 12th!

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/readingfc/s/2053890_watfords_tommy_smith_wants_to_join_reading_fc July 8th!

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 19 Aug 2009 19:04

Royalwaster True - but we need a plan B. Are you saying that if Watford don't sell or if someone else comes in for him we've got no plan B?

As said previously, the under 18's.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 19 Aug 2009 19:12

Deathy
Royalwaster True - but we need a plan B. Are you saying that if Watford don't sell or if someone else comes in for him we've got no plan B?

As said previously, the under 18's.

Good plan - how could I have missed it! Don't we have women's team too? That could be plan C! :D

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 19 Aug 2009 19:36

Nick Hammond confirms Reading FC bid
By Jonny Fordham
August 19, 2009

Reading’s director of football Nick Hammond is hopeful the club will be able to unveil a new signing soon.

Source’s close to Royals have revealed that the club have made a third and final take-it-or-leave it offer for Watford striker Tommy Smith, but the Hornets are remaining tight-lipped over any deal for their star man.

Today Hammond confirmed to the Reading Post that a bid has been made for a player, but he refused to comment on who that was.

Hammond said: “We are still attempting to bring in players to the club and we have made an offer for a player this week.

“If we can we would obviously like to bring someone in as soon as possible.”

The Post understands that Reading made a formal bid of £1.6million, which is non-negotiable, just before Royals kicked off their 0-0 Championship draw against Swansea City on Tuesday night.

Reading had made an improved £1.2m offer for Hornets’ experienced play-maker last Friday after an earlier offer of £750,000 last month was rejected by chairman Jimmy Russo.

Brendan Rodgers is a known admirer of the forward and he is looking to bring in a player with a proven goal-scoring record.

Smith scored for Watford as they beat Nottingham Forest 4-2 on Tuesday night and after the match his manager Malky Mackay praised his talismanic striker who netted 17 times last season.

"Tommy showed what he is all about tonight and obviously I want to keep my best players," said Mackay.

"But I also realise the club has to go forward and there are other considerations."

The £2.8m sale of Andre Bikey to Premier league new boys Burnley yesterday has brought the total amount of transfer revenue received by Reading this season to more than £12million.

So far the club has spent £2m of that on young centre-back Matthew Mills from Doncaster Rovers.

http://www.getbracknell.co.uk/sport/foo ... ing_fc_bid

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 19 Aug 2009 23:04

Royal Lady Isn't a tamarind a monkey-type creature? :|

no its a some kind of herb or spice

its a road in Lower Earley on the herbs and spices estate

2326 posts