Who is the mystery LB

535 posts
Focher
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Who is the mystery LB

by Focher » 26 Aug 2008 12:00

looks nailed on to me, good business and proven.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 26 Aug 2008 12:01

That'll do for me

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 26 Aug 2008 12:02

Good news I think.

I was hoping Convey would come back to his best at a lower level but he has disappointed so far and we need S Hunt at left midfield to give us more bite. I guess Convey can come on later in the game if either Kebe or Hunt need to be substituted.

1871royals

by 1871royals » 26 Aug 2008 12:05

Don’t know that much about him, at least he’s a recognised LB.

After Hammond admitting he was at Birmingham vs Southampton I thought Surman was more likely. But looks like Armstrong seems to be the signing.

Had a look on 606 and Blades fans don’t appear to be that bothered he’s leaving which worries me. It’s a bit surprising he can’t get in the blades team but we are interested.

Streets

by Streets » 26 Aug 2008 12:12

Very good business if he arrives here and at a value our John wont cry about.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 26 Aug 2008 12:17

Have never realy paid much attention to him before. Will probably be fairly solid, although signing the 2nd choice Left back from a rival club doesn't fill me with huge amounts of confidence. Just hope he does well, but still think we are a couple of players short of challenging for promtion still and not encouraged that the EP suggests this will be our final signing.

1871royals

by 1871royals » 26 Aug 2008 12:24

I would be happy with Armstrong. Does anyone else think that CM is more of a problem than LB?

Until we sign a ballwinner to play alongside Harper or Marek teams are going to overrun us. I find it so disappointing to go to games that we always seem to loose than CM battle.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 26 Aug 2008 12:25

1871royals I would be happy with Armstrong. Does anyone else think that CM is more of a problem than LB?

Until we sign a ballwinner to play alongside Harper or Marek teams are going to overrun us. I find it so disappointing to go to games that we always seem to loose than CM battle.

Bikey hth...

1871royals

by 1871royals » 26 Aug 2008 12:29

I dont think Bikey gots the stamina to play CM.

He played there 3 times last year and we didn’t win any of those games.

Blackburn (a) it didn’t work at all. Wigan (a) and Spurs (h) he started well then tired. I think he’s a massive improvement on Cisse but still think we need a bit more energy/work rate to set the tempo from CM.

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 26 Aug 2008 12:32

Big Ern Have never realy paid much attention to him before. Will probably be fairly solid, although signing the 2nd choice Left back from a rival club doesn't fill me with huge amounts of confidence. Just hope he does well, but still think we are a couple of players short of challenging for promtion still and not encouraged that the EP suggests this will be our final signing.

Mikel Silvestre from Man U to Arsenal...

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 26 Aug 2008 12:54

Geekins
Big Ern Have never realy paid much attention to him before. Will probably be fairly solid, although signing the 2nd choice Left back from a rival club doesn't fill me with huge amounts of confidence. Just hope he does well, but still think we are a couple of players short of challenging for promtion still and not encouraged that the EP suggests this will be our final signing.

Mikel Silvestre from Man U to Arsenal...

Silvestre will be first choice for Arsenal, then?

Northern Git

by Northern Git » 26 Aug 2008 12:58

He is 3rd choice at Sheff Utd.

They really dont seem bothered he is going. Alot of thanks, good luck and goodbye.

Streets

by Streets » 26 Aug 2008 13:00

Can take a decent free kick too!

Armstrong, nicknamed Stretch, is likely to be Reading’s last acquisition. FFS

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 26 Aug 2008 13:02

Streets Can take a decent free kick too!

Armstrong, nicknamed Stretch, is likely to be Reading’s last acquisition. FFS

Thank god for that!

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 26 Aug 2008 13:05

The only way Coppell will get forced into making more change is if another club comes in for Harper/Doyle. If they've watched either play this season they will save their money and raid St Albans instead.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 26 Aug 2008 13:07

Alan Partridge The only way Coppell will get forced into making more change is if another club comes in for Harper/Doyle. If they've watched either play this season they will save their money and raid St Albans instead.

Maidenhead were better than them yesterday ;)

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 26 Aug 2008 13:09

rg6royal
Alan Partridge The only way Coppell will get forced into making more change is if another club comes in for Harper/Doyle. If they've watched either play this season they will save their money and raid St Albans instead.

Maidenhead were better than them yesterday ;)

Not by much tbf! Was pretty desperate stuff at times but a wins a win. I actually love Paul Bastock a bit though, absolute hero in the 2nd half, matchday BANT.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 26 Aug 2008 13:21

Stranded
BR2 Presumably we have waited so long so that we could save a few weeks' wages? :cry:
Who knows,if we had signed him a month ago we might not have dropped 3 points at Charlton.
Saving wages>promotion points?

Or could it be that Sheff Utd were initially reluctant to sell? Or that we pursued other avenues first that haven't come off so are now going for Armstrong as a result.

There's a multidue of reason more likely that looking to save less than a months wages.

I know,I know,I know-it just feels like it has taken a year to get to this position.
What happens if he fails the medical?
We then have 6 days in which to set up another deal.
I hope he signs and then if we resurrect the Surman deal I would be happy as that would solve the left side.
Now for the other areas..........

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 26 Aug 2008 13:56

Suggest this is now moved to the team section....

Coppell swoops for Armstrong
By Nick Ive
26/ 8/2008

Reading are today set to sign Sheffield United’s Chris Armstrong.

The player is undergoing a medical at Madejski Stadium and is likely to sign a three-year deal.

Reading and the Blades were haggling over the cost, but it will be around £600,000 rising to £750,000 should Steve Coppell’s men clinch promotion back to the Premier League.

Armstrong, aged 26, will watch his new team-mates in action against Luton Town in the Carling Cup tonight, but he is cup-tied, having played for Sheffield United in the previous round.

He is likely to be involved in Reading’s Championship match at home to Crystal Palace on
Saturday.

The Newcastle-born left-back started his career at Bury before moving to Oldham Athletic and then Sheffield United. He has represented both England Under-20s and Scotland B, who he qualifies for by virtue of his grandmother.

Armstrong, nicknamed Stretch, is likely to be Reading’s last acquisition. Coppell has been searching for a left-sided player since Nicky Shorey made a £3million switch to Aston Villa.

However, Royals could still lose a player. Kevin Doyle is being chased by Sunderland and James Harper is wanted by Middlesbrough.

Black Cats boss Roy Keane wants two more players in before the transfer window closes at midnight next Monday and he is known to a big fan of Doyle.

Although Doyle has struggled for form in the last 12 months, he is still an important player and Coppell would demand a sizeable fee for him.

Aston Villa were also tracking him, but they ended any interest weeks ago.

However, Coppell insisted on Saturday: “I’ve had no calls about Kevin Doyle for probably about two weeks-plus now.

“I don’t have a ‘for sale’ window and I don’t have to sell.”

Coppell will make several changes against Luton tonight to the side that lost 4-2 at Charlton in the Championship on Saturday.

Ibrahima Sonko will serve a one-match ban after being sent off at The Valley.

Youngsters Julian Kelly, James Henry and Alex Pearce are all expected to feature.

Noel Hunt is set to partner Shane Long up front, while new signing Dave Mooney will be among the seven substitutes allowed in the Carling Cup.

As has been commented already I really can't believe that Armstrong would be our last signing given the state and performance of the squad so far. Oh perhaps I can after all this is Reading....

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 26 Aug 2008 14:05

Will be gutting if this is our only signing.

Not suprised one bit though, in fact am suprised he's signed a left back.....

Think Armstrong will be a solid signing, always liked him at Sheff Utd and he seems to have fallen out with Blackwell, which is why he's out the side.

The only question is why has it taken so long?

535 posts