RUMOUR - Harper to Middlesborough

944 posts
Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: RUMOUR - Harper to Middlesborough

by Southbank Old Boy » 14 Aug 2008 10:37

I'm really not a fan of playing Bikey in the middle of the park but with the lack of other options at the moment, and our collection of decent centre backs, I agree we probably need to see Bikey in there.

Bikey & Harper, and let Harper off the leash a bit to support the front two and be a little more attacking.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 14 Aug 2008 11:13

Southbank Old Boy I'm really not a fan of playing Bikey in the middle of the park but with the lack of other options at the moment, and our collection of decent centre backs, I agree we probably need to see Bikey in there.

Bikey & Harper, and let Harper off the leash a bit to support the front two and be a little more attacking.

'greed

Bikey and Karacan in the middle together would be a good as well.

Streets

by Streets » 14 Aug 2008 11:52

Mr Angry When Bikey gets back from Beijing, I would like to see him in midfield, alongside either Harper or a fit Marek; that would give us the bite we have been lacking since Sidwell left.

Sonks and either Pearce or Ivar in central defence.

It gives us bite, but he's clumsy. The bookings will tally up, a few sending offs. He's ok as a stop gap but we seriously need to start buying players! Or at least a dam good loanee.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 14 Aug 2008 14:25

If you have a central midfielder who is going to go in where it hurts, there always exists the possibility of cards; thats the downside of having someone competitive in that role.

But that is exactly the sort of player we lack at the moment, and exactly the sort of player we need in this division.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 14 Aug 2008 17:11

Mr Angry If you have a central midfielder who is going to go in where it hurts, there always exists the possibility of cards; thats the downside of having someone competitive in that role.

But that is exactly the sort of player we lack at the moment, and exactly the sort of player we need in this division.

Too right. There are so many people on here who want a Sidwell replacement who is a hard tackler but doesn't get booked. My recollection of SS is that he spent rather a long time on the sidelines under suspension as he always picked up a string of bookings for late, over zealous of simply dirty tackles. It is something that you live with if you want that type of player in the midfield (and I do).

total_biscuit

by total_biscuit » 14 Aug 2008 19:55

Bikey is just the sort of player who steps up to the plate when the situation demands it. As others have said, we need someone with his grit and determination in the middle. Witness how Boateng (against Boro) bossed us around by simply being everywhere and getting stuck in in the midfield. We had no answer on the day.

Go for it.

TB

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 15 Aug 2008 01:34

Sun says Bolton are still interested in Harper at £3M.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 15 Aug 2008 08:29

Platypuss Sun says Bolton are still interested in Harper at £3M.

£4m please

urz_1871

by urz_1871 » 15 Aug 2008 08:44

rg6royal
Platypuss Sun says Bolton are still interested in Harper at £3M.

£4m please

Didn't Coppell say that any clubs wanting to buy our players now would have to pay a premium, now that the season has started.

If what Coppell has said is true then we will be after more than £4m.

DrZoidberg

by DrZoidberg » 15 Aug 2008 08:56

Anything above about £250,000 is daylight robbery as far as I am concerned.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Aug 2008 15:20

DrZoidberg Anything above about £250,000 is daylight robbery as far as I am concerned.

Shows how little you know. If that was the case it would be Saints or Leicester after him, not Bolton/'Boro.

fozziebear

by fozziebear » 16 Aug 2008 16:02

Was reported on BBCRB that Reading have turned down a £4m bid from Bolton on Thursday.

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 16 Aug 2008 17:11

This must be one of the longest URG threads. Please have him go soon.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 16 Aug 2008 18:23

From todays performance...I say we keep him.

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 16 Aug 2008 19:42

fozziebear Was reported on BBCRB that Reading have turned down a £4m bid from Bolton on Thursday.

gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood
Harper was top quality today, i remember an interview with him where he said that Frank Lampard never has a bad game, he has quiet games but not bad games.Harps said this is the standard he aspired to, don't think your far of it Harps!!!

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 16 Aug 2008 21:10

Drew_3
fozziebear Was reported on BBCRB that Reading have turned down a £4m bid from Bolton on Thursday.

Harper was top quality today, i remember an interview with him where he said that Frank Lampard never has a bad game, he has quiet games but not bad games.Harps said this is the standard he aspired to, don't think your far of it Harps!!!

Shut up.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 17 Aug 2008 00:16

Harps is the equivalent of someone who has consistently average games, somehow i cant see frank lampard falling into that category.

Streets

by Streets » 17 Aug 2008 01:19

loyalroyal4life Harps is the equivalent of someone who has consistently average games, somehow i cant see frank lampard falling into that category.

Think Frank Lampard, think England. There you goes.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Aug 2008 11:35

Drew_3

I think thats a decent comparison provided you bear in mind they perform totally different roles.

Harper will be ok usually if Reading play badly. He'll be very good when Reading play well. OR When Harps plays well Reading play well.

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 17 Aug 2008 12:19

Ian Royal
Drew_3

I think thats a decent comparison provided you bear in mind they perform totally different roles.

Harper will be ok usually if Reading play badly. He'll be very good when Reading play well. OR When Harps plays well Reading play well.

thank you i was not comparing harps to lampard merely highlighting the fact that he wants to never have a bad game.

944 posts