RUMOUR - Jermaine Defoe

725 posts
Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

Re: RUMOUR - Jermaine Defoe

by Geekins » 11 May 2012 10:24

The Spurs striker has struggled to convince manager Harry Redknapp of his worth this season, and has frequently been used off the bench, with Emmanuel Adebayor and Louis Saha ahead of him in the pecking order at White Hart Lane.

At 29-years-old, Defoe is entering the latter stages of his career, and craves first-team football the Royals could offer.

The striker’s wage bill would represent a significant problem, but boss Brian McDermott is hoping the offer of regular game time coupled with the club’s ambition can help convince the forward to make the move.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/8 ... z1uYSYUKPB

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 11 May 2012 10:29

Thought I'd post the content of the article here as well as provide the link.
http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/8%20...%20z1uYSYUKPB

Apparently the Spurs striker has struggled to convince manager Harry Redknapp of his worth this season, and has frequently been used off the bench, with Emmanuel Adebayor and Louis Saha ahead of him in the pecking order at White Hart Lane.

-----

The Spurs striker has struggled to convince manager Harry Redknapp of his worth this season, and has frequently been used off the bench, with Emmanuel Adebayor and Louis Saha ahead of him in the pecking order at White Hart Lane.

At 29-years-old, Defoe is entering the latter stages of his career, and craves first-team football the Royals could offer.

The striker’s wage bill would represent a significant problem, but boss Brian McDermott is hoping the offer of regular game time coupled with the club’s ambition can help convince the forward to make the move.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 11 May 2012 10:31

I'd prefer Willem tbh.

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 11 May 2012 10:33

Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe has confirmed that he asked to leave the club in January.

The England striker has found it hard to break into the Spurs starting line-up this term with Harry Redknapp preferring a pairing of Emmanuel Adebayor and Rafael van der Vaart.

Defoe has started just 11 games and he admits that he did ask for a move earlier this year, with Liverpool very strongly linked with his services.

"I didn't want to leave. I don't go thinking, 'I want to go to this club or that club.'" he told the Daily Mirror.

"But in January I just wasn't playing enough and I did go to the manager and ask to go out on loan.

"He said to me, 'I don't want you to go out on loan. We are trying to do something special here. Don't go.' And so I stayed. And I worked hard to keep myself sharp."

"I love the club. Everybody knows that. When I'm out and people ask whether I am leaving I always say no. But how can I stay somewhere that I don't get the chance to play?"
Jermain Defoe Quotes of the week
Not happy

Despite staying at White Hart Lane, Defoe admits that his attitude remains the same.

"But still I haven't had that run of games. It still feels like I will only get a game if someone is injured or suspended," he said.

"Sometimes I even feel like I'm in the youth team, because I know that, whatever I do in midweek, I won't get a game at the weekend.

"The manager picks the team and I would never be disrespectful to the manager. But when someone doesn't talk to you and explain what's going on it's hard.

"I love the club. Everybody knows that. When I'm out and people ask whether I am leaving I always say no. But how can I stay somewhere that I don't get the chance to play?"

Defoe remains positive that his lack of games will make him fresh for the European Championship this summer and with Wayne Rooney suspended for the opening two games he has high hopes of making the 23-man squad.
Sharp

"That is the one positive - if I do get the chance to go to the Euros, I will be fresh and ready," he said.

"Coming on with a few minutes to go in every other Premier League game means I'm sharp.

"The manager [Hodgson] is a football man. Having been at a tournament before [taking Switzerland to USA 94], he will also know it's all about having people who can come in and get you a goal.

"Other people may have done that in qualifiers but in big international tournaments - when the pressure is on to get a goal or go home - it is much harder.

"I'm hoping that, having done that before, I can do it again."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... d-for-move

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 11 May 2012 10:40

HoneyRoastHoax Dynamite

:lol:

Are we recieving the trophy at Palace or at Birmingham?

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 11 May 2012 10:42

:lol: :lol:

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 11 May 2012 17:57

My source is good. 8)

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 11 May 2012 18:09

Arnie_Pie My source is good. 8)

and they were so judgemental back in the days of page one.

robb the royal

by robb the royal » 12 May 2012 14:12

Don't know if anyone has posted a link to the metro story...but it is also on here (with a handy link to the metro article)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/gossip/
And we all know what the BBC report always happens :roll:
I would love Defoe at Reading, been saying for years he should be an england regular (more than he is)...unfortunately, i can't see it happening

madreadingfan

by madreadingfan » 13 May 2012 08:35

http://www.clubcall.com/reading/royals- ... 28059.html

Premier League new boys Reading are lining up a shock move to lure out-of-favour striker Jermain Defoe to the Madejski Stadium.

The 29-year-old has recently expressed his desire to play more first-team football which could see him moving on in the summer as he has fallen down the pecking order at White Hart Lane.
The England international currently find himself behind Emmanuel Adebayor and Louis Saha and his opportunities have been further limited by Harry Redknapp's regular use of only one striker in his starting line-up.
Despite his lack of regular action, Defoe has still managed to bag 10 goals in 24 appearances in the 2011/12 season, even though many of those efforts have come about from stepping off the bench.
His signing would certainly send out a major statement to the rest of Premier League about Reading's intentions after clinching the Championship title.
However, the Royals may have a battle on their hands if Tottenham do decide to let him go as a number of other top-flight clubs are also likely to be interested.
A loan move might be more realistic after Defoe revealed how he wanted a temporary switch away from White Hart Lane during the January window, but was urged to stick around to contribute by Redknapp.
"It still feels like I will only get a game if someone is injured or suspended," Defoe told The Mirror.
"Sometimes I even feel like I'm in the youth team, because I know that, whatever I do in midweek, I won't get a game at the weekend."

Basingstoke-Royal

by Basingstoke-Royal » 13 May 2012 09:07

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 13 May 2012 09:16

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 13 May 2012 09:46

“He had a bowl of Coco Pops and asked if I thought the milk smelled OK.”

Isaac Hunt

by Isaac Hunt » 13 May 2012 09:51

If i was head of marketing at Specsavers i'd be trying desperately to get hold of Defoe's number right now!!!!! :shock:

Elmer Park

by Elmer Park » 13 May 2012 09:52

It's no surprise Defoe has been unfaithful to his gf. He's always been a little forward.

RockheadRumple

by RockheadRumple » 13 May 2012 10:02

Elmer Park It's no surprise Defoe has been unfaithful to his gf. He's always been a little forward.

Brilliant.

BenReadingFC
Hob Nob Regular

by BenReadingFC » 13 May 2012 11:01

moo “He had a bowl of Coco Pops and asked if I thought the milk smelled OK.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QRVbEQogDk

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 13 May 2012 13:24