Shall we take bets? - Reading close in on new signing

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Shall we take bets? - Reading close in on new signing

by sandman » 10 May 2013 13:02

Lacoste
sandman
Lacoste TBH im pretty confident that NA knows what he's doing.

A pacey winger at a good age and free. Might be to suppliment what we have or in preperation for when Kebe, HRK leave.

Im sure NA has more of an eye for a player that BMD anyway

:lol:

Basil's been manager here two months and you're sure he has a better eye for a player than the guy who scouted and signed some of the best players in the clubs history.

A myth

BMD was shocking at signing players. Could count on one hand the players that have actually been worth signing

Not a myth at all.

Don't want to turn this into a McDermott vs Adkins slanging match but McDermott was not shocking at signing players as evidenced by the sensible way he replaced the likes of Sig and Long after their sales were forced on him. Not all signings work and that applies to any manager, even the recently retired Ferguson and will happen to Adkins on more than one occasion but to say McD was shocking at signing players is simply untrue.

You might not have liked the perceived style of play but there is no need to rewrite history.
Last edited by sandman on 10 May 2013 13:14, edited 1 time in total.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 10 May 2013 13:12

The pathetic revisionism shown by many regarding BMc is one of very many reasons why I am always a bit glad to see our supporters suffer relegation. GM Vauxhall Conference fanbase we have.

Stevie G

by Stevie G » 10 May 2013 13:24

Why are Leeds considering the purchase,they haven't seen him play them in a cup game yet :D

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 10 May 2013 13:35

Lacoste
sandman

A pacey winger at a good age and free. Might be to suppliment what we have or in preperation for when Kebe, HRK leave.

Basil's been manager here two months and you're sure he has a better eye for a player than the guy who scouted and signed some of the best players in the clubs history.

A myth

BMD was shocking at signing players. Could count on one hand the players that have actually been worth signing

:roll:

Goodness me.

Let's just ignore this idiot.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 10 May 2013 13:46

LoyalRoyalFan Let's just ignore this idiot.

Sadly he isn't exclusive in his iconoclastic views about one of most successful managers ever, as such revisionism is peddled by plenty of other deluded supporters who will always singularly refuse to believe that part of the reason for any failure lies even partly with people currently involved with the club.

Steve Coppell lavished praise on BMc's abilties, and BMc is often credited with the signings of Doyle & Long who subsequently were sold for an eight figure sum when their fees are added together. But no, lets rubbish a very successful and decent man instead :!:

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 10 May 2013 13:50

floyd__streete

Sadly he isn't exclusive in his iconoclastic views about one of most successful managers ever, as such revisionism is peddled by plenty of other deluded supporters who will always singularly refuse to believe that part of the reason for any failure lies even partly with people currently involved with the club.

Steve Coppell lavished praise on BMc's abilties, and BMc is often credited with the signings of Doyle & Long who subsequently were sold for an eight figure sum when their fees are added together. But no, lets rubbish a very successful and decent man instead :!:

Spot on, floyd.

Let's just forget the signings of Gorkss, Leigertwood, Roberts and Mullins etc, in particular, who helped fire us to a play-off final and promotion - only a year ago.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 10 May 2013 13:54

Stevie G Why are Leeds considering the purchase,they haven't seen him play them in a cup game yet :D

Closest free that McD could find in this window to Garath McCleary?

RoyalinBracknell

by RoyalinBracknell » 10 May 2013 14:07

Lacoste
sandman

A myth

I think you'd need more like 2! Griffin, Zurab, Harte, Ledge, Gorkss, Roberts, Le Fondre, Connolley... and that's not even taking the account the players we signed last summer! He certainly had some flops but then basically any manager will. I think you also have to look at the amount we spent on players to see how likely they were to be a part of our first team plans. I'm sure someone like Brett Williams was signed as a gamble rather than with the intention that he would be Shane Long's replacement. And when McDermott was given the license to add players/loans to the squad on a less restricted basis in January 2012 he took us on a run of 15 wins in 17 games.

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 10 May 2013 14:12

Griffin, Harte, Leigertwood, Zurab, Roberts, Le Fondre, Gorkss were all great signings and done on a very strict budget. Morisson, Mariappa, Guthrie, McCleary, Gunter, Pogrebnyak are all now starting to show there worth.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 10 May 2013 14:21

LoyalRoyalFan
floyd__streete

Spot on, floyd.

Let's just forget the signings of Gorkss, Leigertwood, Roberts and Mullins etc, in particular, who helped fire us to a play-off final and promotion - only a year ago.

Exactly. BMcD did fine in the transfer market. I can only think of Sheppard, Williams and Williams who flopped, and none of those were major signings.

Oh and Bonghani of course but him being crap meant we got Gorkss.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 10 May 2013 14:30

LightwaterRoyal Griffin, Harte, Leigertwood, Zurab, Roberts, Le Fondre, Gorkss were all great signings and done on a very strict budget. Morisson, Mariappa, Guthrie, McCleary, Gunter, Pogrebnyak are all now starting to show there worth.

The first lot you mentioned (apart from ALF) were much too short term for my liking. McDermott not creating a long term defence during the first 90% of his time is one valid criticism of him I think. But he left us with Gunter, Mariappa and Morisson so I guess if we add a young left back we can finally get that long term defence.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 10 May 2013 14:31

St. Brynjar Exactly. BMcD did fine in the transfer market. I can only think of Sheppard, Williams and Williams who flopped, and none of those were major signings.

Oh and Bonghani of course but him being crap meant we got Gorkss.

Nick Blackman?
Too soon? :wink:

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 10 May 2013 14:49

I think if we're honest, we can provide as many, possibly more, failures than successes.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 10 May 2013 14:55

Tbf to Brian most of the time he was working on a pretty tight budget and so had to gamble on a few. There were some shockers (Baseya, Mills, Williams B, Williams M, Sheppard, Manset) mixed in with some that were spot on for what we needed at the time (Harte, Gorkss, Alf, Ledge, Griffin) served on a bed of some on which the jury is still out (Gunter, McCleary, Akpan, Blackman).

I think that's a record that will match any other in the transfer market tbh
Last edited by winchester_royal on 10 May 2013 15:16, edited 1 time in total.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 10 May 2013 15:15

SPARTA I think if we're honest, we can provide as many, possibly more, failures than successes.

Maybe , but they were all on the cheap.

(.)Boobies(.)

by (.)Boobies(.) » 10 May 2013 16:14

Nigel's Mate It's a left back. Carlos ... something.

Nigel's Mate and he has already signed.

I'm intrigued by these two posts (your first two posts). You went out on a limb there to go as far as naming the chap, so I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you weren't just on a wind-up - or is that a mistake? The club have had scouts in South America this season, so I just wonder how genuine you may be.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 10 May 2013 16:25

Look at Rodgers. Most of his signings came good after he left....

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 10 May 2013 16:28

How can anyone query NAs ability in signing players when you look at those he brought to Soton....

For me Sounds like it could be a step in the right direction, but can he make the step up to Championship football?

And we're not brilliantly off for wingers either with, IMO, His Royal Kanuness and Blackman both being better suited to a central role and Kebe being overrated and always injured. It wouldn't surprise me to see a couple of "wingers" move on in the summer

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 10 May 2013 16:41

Barry the bird boggler His Royal Kanuness

I hope this catches on :D

(.)Boobies(.)

by (.)Boobies(.) » 10 May 2013 16:44

Four promotions with three clubs suggests he hasn't the foggiest what he's doing in the transfer market.