2015 January Transfer Window

212 posts
KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: 2015 January Transfer Window

by KC Royal » 05 Jan 2015 09:27

Caversham Royal
Nameless Obita has looked awful there recently, HRK isn't a winger, playing our best wide player out of position seems a waste and Blackman also isn't really a winger.
Rather than stick someone there just to fill a space I think it would make much more sense to get a proper, left footed winger with a bit of pace and a decent cross.
We'd look a much better team ....

If Hal Robson Kanu isn't a winger, then what is he? He certainly isn't a striker anyway! And I don't subscribe to the 'playing in the hole off a central striker' notion either where he's concerned.

Yea, I thought it was his best position! I've never really felt that a central role particularly suits him, though saying that he was playing centrally when scoring for Wales earlier in the season.

I agree with Ian, Blackman is more of a wide forward. Wasn't that where he was playing, left or right, when scoring goals for Sheff Utd a couple of seasons ago when we signed him? From what I've seen of him this season I think he's been unlucky not to play more.

A 4-3-3 formation may suit HRK more certainly, and would also help us to include more of our central midfielders, but not sure I see Cox fitting in there, as Ian says. It will be interesting to see without Murray whether the 4-5-1/4-3-3 we used on Sat was just a one-off experiment for the cup or something we're going to see more of in the league. Tbh atm i'm leaning more towards the latter.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 05 Jan 2015 09:41

Norfolk Royal Someone said FFP does not apply to Premiership clubs.

Eh? How come Man City have been done then?

I'm pretty sure they've been done by virtue of their involvement in UEFA competitions.

Any club in the Premier League should be either worried by relegation or hoping to snap up a place in Europe so although the Premier League itself doesn't apply FFP regulations I think most clubs will be considering it (considering it might mean still ignoring it to stave of relegation or chase a European dream though).

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 05 Jan 2015 09:46

As for Robson-Kanu, I'd agree his best position is out wide on the left yes, but as Ian said he's not a traditional left midfielder, or even winger, because he doesn't defend well enough.

We've tried him through the middle and he's been pretty disappointing there too. Basically I think he's one of those that will flatter to deceive but ultimately never fulfil whatever potential the club saw in him.

Obita for me doesn't have the drive or confidence to play on the wing either. He's never really looked willing to take his man on enough for me and seems better suited to being an attack minded left back who's good at arriving late or overlapping to get a good supply of crosses into the box.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 05 Jan 2015 15:33

Hoop Blah

I'm pretty sure they've been done by virtue of their involvement in UEFA competitions.

Any club in the Premier League should be either worried by relegation or hoping to snap up a place in Europe so although the Premier League itself doesn't apply FFP regulations I think most clubs will be considering it (considering it might mean still ignoring it to stave of relegation or chase a European dream though).

Don't really get that to be honest. If Uefa designed the FFP rules which my understanding is that they did, then why are they enforcing it on championship clubs, if indeed they are.

Or are the FFP rules designed by Uefa being unilaterally applied to Championship clubs by the Football League?

Baffles me I must say.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Jan 2015 15:42

Multiple systems. One run by UEFA for European competiton and one for the FL.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 05 Jan 2015 15:54

Ian Royal

Multiple systems. One run by UEFA for European competiton and one for the FL.

Right, fair enough. The whole thing's a cock up which I'll give another six months.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 06 Jan 2015 10:31

why?

I think its a great idea.
it may be painful, and it may cause us problems, and it may favour the big clubs over the small.
but in the end it can only stop clubs doing what we did under zingaravich, and therefore stop clubs getting into difficulty down the line.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 06 Jan 2015 11:30

melonhead why?

it may be painful, and it may cause us problems, and it may favour the big clubs over the small.
but in the end it can only stop clubs doing what we did under zingaravich, and therefore stop clubs getting into difficulty down the line.

It takes the romance out of football Brendy. I've already posted why I don't like it on the thread on the team board.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Jan 2015 12:40

All for it really, just needs to be tweaked so it works properly i.e. ALL clubs under the auspices of the FA/PL/FL should have it applied and there should be points penalties so bigger clubs get properly hurt by it

Next up for me is the REMOVAL of parachute payments for all relegated clubs.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 06 Jan 2015 15:01

Norfolk Royal
melonhead why?

It takes the romance out of football Brendy..
:|

no it doesn't.

it adds romance because it means we must invest in our academy, and therefore have more homegrown and local players.
it means the only way to grow the club is through sensible investment based somewhere in reality, along with good management and coaching. rather than being able to do it by simply throwing someone elses loaned money at it

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 06 Jan 2015 15:52

If you have faith in the rules, that they will be abided by, and that they apply equally to all other clubs, and there are no anomalies, then you might have a point Brenders.

Unfortunately the FFP rules do, and will, come up short in all those regards is my belief.

In any case you know I'm always right about everything so stop arguing.

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 06 Jan 2015 16:33

Just seen that AJ has been released by Crystal Palace, is he worth a look? Know he has had his injury problems etc but a pay as you play deal if he can prove his fitness? Not like we can go shopping at even the mid range of the market, just not sure how fit he is. Would not want us to be in another AF situation but may be worth a look if he is fit.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 06 Jan 2015 16:36

Looking had his stats, his goalscoring record is actually pretty shit, other than at Palace.

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 06 Jan 2015 16:41

Pepe the Horseman Looking had his stats, his goalscoring record is actually pretty shit, other than at Palace.

Just wasn't sure whether he was worth a trial or something given we don't have piles of cash to throw around.

GH Royal

by GH Royal » 06 Jan 2015 16:45

Was talking about him to a Fulham fan the other day, goalscoring record is shit and is way past his prime now. Can't imagine his wages would be cheap either.

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 06 Jan 2015 16:53

GH Royal Was talking about him to a Fulham fan the other day, goalscoring record is shit and is way past his prime now. Can't imagine his wages would be cheap either.

As one door closes, another one slams shut :)

GH Royal

by GH Royal » 06 Jan 2015 16:55

Elm Park Pasty
GH Royal Was talking about him to a Fulham fan the other day, goalscoring record is shit and is way past his prime now. Can't imagine his wages would be cheap either.

As one door closes, another one slams shut :)

Not to sound pretentious, but we can do better :wink:

GH Royal

by GH Royal » 06 Jan 2015 17:01

Still think St Ledger could be worth a shot to bolster defensive options.. (out of contract)

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 06 Jan 2015 17:04

GH Royal Still think St Ledger could be worth a shot to bolster defensive options.. (out of contract)

Ipswich took him on for a month didn't play then they released - i think that says alot

GH Royal

by GH Royal » 06 Jan 2015 17:08

WoodleyRoyal
GH Royal Still think St Ledger could be worth a shot to bolster defensive options.. (out of contract)

Ipswich took him on for a month didn't play then they released - i think that says alot

Didn't realise that, fair enough!

212 posts