143 posts
Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

Re: And now Gunter...

by Maneki Neko » 02 Jul 2016 20:06

Ian Royal
ayjaydee
OLLIE KEARNS
We've scored 3 goals from his crosses in 4 years that I can recall. Feel free to remind me if I've missed the odd 20 or 30 goals :-) Maybe its better to judge based on what you see week after week after week ? One swallow does not a summer make.......

Stat is only of relevance if you can evidence other full backs who have delivered significantly more. Don't recall Murts being a great crosser of the ball. Obit isn't pulling up trees on the other side at the moment.

This season Gunter got 2 assists, Obita got 1
Last season Gunter got 0 assists, Obita got 7 and Kelly got 2
13/14 Gunter got 3, Obita got 4, Cummings, Kelly and Bridge got 0

Only fair to note Obita has been on corner duty at times though. And to be honest, not having someone doing better on the other flank doesn't exactly validate Gunter's performance. His crossing can be good. Like most of the rest of his game it's not awful, it's just below par.

The argument that Gunter is good at crossing because he delivered one good ball in a game for Wales, in a different position to the one he plays for us, is just a bit silly.

Below par for what? The prem? Agreed
Otherwise id say hes about par

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 02 Jul 2016 20:59

OLLIE KEARNS One swallow does not a summer make.......

Sounds like you're with the wrong lass.

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 02 Jul 2016 22:01

Maybe your recollection is faulty, as I can definitely recall a goal and two assists just this season. Or maybe you don't pay as much attention as you think you do! (Goal against Colchester, assist against Birmingham away (blackman), assist against Walsall home (Vydra))

Can't remember anything from Obita at all this season! But I'm sure somebody can dig up stats[/quote]

Don't forget Piazon's goal at Burnley. You need to pay more attention ;-) The discussion is goals from his crosses. A memory search past the three from last season has added McAnuff at Birmingham so 4 in 4 years. Feel free to fill in my memory blanks in order to add to the impressive tally :-)

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 02 Jul 2016 22:07

genome
3points you don't have to sell a player for the value of the release clause. Fellaini went for more than his release clause if I remember correctly. You just need to create a bidding war between more than one club to get the price up a bit

Club 1: "Here's £1 million"
Reading: "Thanks, we'll accept that and you can talk to the player"
Club 2: "Here's £1.2 million"
Reading: "Thanks, we'll accept that too, go ahead and talk to Chris"
Club 1: "How about £1.5 million?"
Reading: "Er, okay... sure."
Club 2: "£2 million."
Reading: "Guys, you know we already accepted your offer, right? You can talk to him."
Club 1: "5 MILLION POUNDS"

Club 1 = Leeds
Club 2 = er ... Leeds again

What do I win ?

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 Jul 2016 11:04

OLLIE KEARNS Maybe your recollection is faulty, as I can definitely recall a goal and two assists just this season. Or maybe you don't pay as much attention as you think you do! (Goal against Colchester, assist against Birmingham away (blackman), assist against Walsall home (Vydra))

Can't remember anything from Obita at all this season! But I'm sure somebody can dig up stats

Don't forget Piazon's goal at Burnley. You need to pay more attention ;-) The discussion is goals from his crosses. A memory search past the three from last season has added McAnuff at Birmingham so 4 in 4 years. Feel free to fill in my memory blanks in order to add to the impressive tally :-)[/quote]

Good players can have poor statistics when they are part of a poorly functioning, ineffective team which is what RFC has been for the last few years.

As an individual, he has some very good attributes that suggest that under good management and coaching he can be part of a title winning Reading team. This is a team game, everyone has to pull together in a way that brings about good football and success on the pitch. Recently the team have not been greater than the sum of its parts. It has been the opposite. Same with England.

When our bunch of individuals can perform well as a team then I'm sure we'll see a much better and more effective Gunter. The Welsh Gunter is a player that is capable of playing at Premier League level. He certainly has it in him and he has the attributes. It is now down to good management and coaching to generate a team that can perform to it's potential.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Jul 2016 18:29

He's already played at Premier League level and was bad enough that Shaun Cummings got games there and we then brought Kelly in too.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 03 Jul 2016 18:45

and is in the semi-finals having faced some quality teams (premiership England aside :wink: )......crazy

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 04 Jul 2016 05:59

AthleticoSpizz and is in the semi-finals having faced some quality teams (premiership England aside :wink: )......crazy

And also finished just above the relegation zone for a second division side having faced some absolute dogshite teams.

And your point?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 Jul 2016 10:06

Celtic want to sign Gunter according to today's EP.

You can do better than that Chris.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 04 Jul 2016 12:02

Sutekh Celtic want to sign Gunter according to today's EP.

You can do better than that Chris.

No, really he can't, but fantastic news if true.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 04 Jul 2016 19:16

He was signed as a first choice Premier League right back :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brian's signings were hit and miss weren't they...

If we can make our money back on him that's a great deal

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 05 Jul 2016 09:33

muirinho
OLLIE KEARNS
ayjaydee
Stat is only of relevance if you can evidence other full backs who have delivered significantly more. Don't recall Murts being a great crosser of the ball. Obit isn't pulling up trees on the other side at the moment.

So 3 goals from his many crosses in 4 years is good is it ?

Maybe your recollection is faulty, as I can definitely recall a goal and two assists just this season. Or maybe you don't pay as much attention as you think you do! (Goal against Colchester, assist against Birmingham away (blackman), assist against Walsall home (Vydra))

Can't remember anything from Obita at all this season! But I'm sure somebody can dig up stats

One for Piazon too during our good run. Burnley away?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 05 Jul 2016 11:17

Vision
muirinho
OLLIE KEARNS
So 3 goals from his many crosses in 4 years is good is it ?

One for Piazon too during our good run. Burnley away?

Yeah, that's right. In a good run, some of the goals come from him. In a bad run, there aren't many goals. But if you look at his ratings for games, they tend to be reasonably consistent regardless of whether we're in a good run or a bad run.
His crosses are a bit hit and miss at times, but I definitely remember a number of good ones last season which our goal-shy forwards failed to convert. Stats don't necessarily tell the whole story. That was an excellent cross last game for Wales, but I can guarantee no Reading forward would have scored from it, (at least in the second half of the season). That's not Gunter's fault. As he doesn't take corners or frees, his stats are going to be poor if he's playing in a team that are poor at converting chances in open play. His first season in the Championship he had a number of assists, and came 2nd in POTS. We came 7th. His stats reflect how Reading is doing, not specifically how he is doing.

I also think he's a bit of a confidence player. When he's happy, and the supporters aren't on his back, he plays better. When he's getting stick, he gets cautious and defensive. That's why he plays better for Wales than he does for Reading

Because of that, for his own sake, it might be better if he did move on - however as a Reading supporter I'd very much rather he didn't.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 05 Jul 2016 11:39

It has been an odd few weeks. First we get the opportunity to id the racists among our contacts by spotting who is voting to Leave the EU, now we get to spot the idiots who know little or nothing about football and who slag off a very able footballer. Odd that this useless player who some of you are willing to help leave the club has just been selected in to Equippe's team of the tournament!

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 05 Jul 2016 13:16

West Stand Man It has been an odd few weeks. First we get the opportunity to id the racists among our contacts by spotting who is voting to Leave the EU, now we get to spot the idiots who know little or nothing about football and who slag off a very able footballer. Odd that this useless player who some of you are willing to help leave the club has just been selected in to Equippe's team of the tournament!

Wow. Equippe team of the tournament huh ! Very impressive. Let's hope the club share your level of football knowledge and have the appropriate £10m release clause inserted in his new contract ;-)

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 05 Jul 2016 13:34

West Stand Man It has been an odd few weeks. First we get the opportunity to id the racists among our contacts by spotting who is voting to Leave the EU

Really, you think it is racist to want to leave the EU ?
Please enlighten me why not wanting to be ruled by unelected bureaucrats in Brussels (my reason for wanting out) is racist.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 05 Jul 2016 13:36

OLLIE KEARNS Wow. Equippe team of the tournament huh ! Very impressive. Let's hope the club share your level of football knowledge and have the appropriate £10m release clause inserted in his new contract ;-)

It's one million Ollie, and we would do very well to get that much for him.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 05 Jul 2016 15:28

72 bus
West Stand Man It has been an odd few weeks. First we get the opportunity to id the racists among our contacts by spotting who is voting to Leave the EU

Please enlighten me why not wanting to be ruled by unelected bureaucrats in Brussels (my reason for wanting out) is racist.

List me the main laws that EU bureaucrats imposed on you that made a jot of difference to your life? Did they set tax rates? Did they set government spending on NHS, schools, police, armed forces, etc. etc? No?

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 05 Jul 2016 15:38

72 bus
OLLIE KEARNS Wow. Equippe team of the tournament huh ! Very impressive. Let's hope the club share your level of football knowledge and have the appropriate £10m release clause inserted in his new contract ;-)

It's one million Ollie, and we would do very well to get that much for him.

I know mate and I'd say that is about right. The Gunter debate is an endless one but that contractual release valuation is probably the best barometer as to his true ability. A decent player with strengths and weaknesses that net out to a championship level full back. If he can improve to a level above that (top 3 champ / lower prem) then the very best of luck to him.

under the tin

by under the tin » 05 Jul 2016 17:28

Royalwaster
72 bus

List me the main laws that EU bureaucrats imposed on you that made a jot of difference to your life? Did they set tax rates? Did they set government spending on NHS, schools, police, armed forces, etc. etc? No?

Off topic, but I'll bite

Those are exactly the kind of things that will be decided by Brussels when their ultimate goal of a federal superstate is achieved. What amazes me is our chancellor, who knows exactly where to wield the knife in terms of budget cuts in order to "balance the books" here, but curiously is a keen supporter of an institution with a budget that dwarfs his, but has been unable for the best part of two decades to account for where the money has gone. My grandkids deserve better than to be eventually ruled by unelected corrupt twats.

143 posts