Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Transfers Will Go Through Next Week

by Geekins » 12 Aug 2008 15:31

Andy Cole as he didn't play against us on Sunday

Streets

by Streets » 12 Aug 2008 15:36

The Fabregas deal is still on as he didn't play against us on Sunday either.

silas
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by silas » 12 Aug 2008 15:44

gazmandu2 I also heard Hammond on the radio - he is in talks with someone over a permanent deal and is hoping to hear early next week on a couple of loan deals. He referred to the left back position but nothing else.

Hammond has been quoted a few times this summer saying we would sign players, whilst I fully expect a left back but would be shocked if we get anybody else, especially on loan.

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 12 Aug 2008 15:46

Streets The Fabregas deal is still on as he didn't play against us on Sunday either.

Maybe we could take Rooney and Ronaldo as well then.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 12 Aug 2008 16:04

Geekins
Streets The Fabregas deal is still on as he didn't play against us on Sunday either.

Maybe we could take Rooney and Ronaldo as well then.

I think they'd object to playing for the reserves though.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 12 Aug 2008 16:07

So as all the emphasis seems to be on the Left back position, is it reasonable to accept that our midfield is no longer a priority after the stunning performance on Sunday full of creativity and strength ??

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 12 Aug 2008 16:09

howser So as all the emphasis seems to be on the Left back position, is it reasonable to accept that our midfield is no longer a priority after the stunning performance on Sunday full of creativity and strength ??

If Marek's injury had been more serious we probably would have signed someone in midfield.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 12 Aug 2008 16:14

winchester_royal
howser So as all the emphasis seems to be on the Left back position, is it reasonable to accept that our midfield is no longer a priority after the stunning performance on Sunday full of creativity and strength ??

If Marek's injury had been more serious we probably would have signed someone in midfield.

Considering the poor impact Marek has had since joining us, signing a new central midfielder would be desirable regardless of his current injury situation.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 12 Aug 2008 16:20

Big Ern
winchester_royal

Considering the poor impact Marek has had since joining us, signing a new central midfielder would be desirable regardless of his current injury situation.

Not sure we could get any better than a czech internattional midfielder tbh.

And 'poor impact' is a tad harsh.

Blue and White Toucan

by Blue and White Toucan » 12 Aug 2008 17:38

Not sure we could get any better than a czech internattional midfielder tbh.

And 'poor impact' is a tad harsh.

Perhaps a little harsh but surely the management and scouts knew the type of Marek was before we signed him. They knew that he was not the same type of player as Sidwell and surely now it is obvious that without a tough takling ball winner in the midfield we will be going nowhere!!!

Just imagine (and we can dream) what a central midfield Sidwell and Marek would have been !!!!!!

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 12 Aug 2008 17:47

I dont doubt the ability of Marek, but we do seem to be hanging our hat on him somewhat, with no other options, and if he has an off period or when injured. A general wish of most successfull clubs is to have if possible 2 players for each position, given that we are trimming our squad, we are missing suitable cover, i.e Oster for one, would have been ok at this level, instead we have got some youngsters, that are learning the game at the moment, who will be used as replacements, and in reality shouldn't be seen as long term replacements for more established first team regulars. I realise that yes, these lads need the experience to move forward but it puts a lot of pressure on them to be considered "the answer".

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 13 Aug 2008 03:34

Reading are hoping to have signed a new left-back by the time they face Plymouth on Saturday.

The Royals began their Championship campaign against Nottingham Forest on Sunday with midfielder Stephen Hunt deputising in defence.

The Republic of Ireland international rarely looked troubled at the City Ground, but would be better utilised further up the field.

Reading boss Steve Coppell admits that he is in the market to replace Nicky Shorey, who has joined Aston Villa, and is confident of having a deal in place by the weekend.

"We are still searching and I think we are getting near, something could be done soon," he told the Reading Evening Post.

"If we do something it will probably be the only signing we make, but I can't say for sure."

Reading have rubbished reports linking them with Leicester's Joe Mattock, but are understood to be keen on Dagenham's Scott Griffiths.

The Royals will have the ideal opportunity to run the rule over their prospective target on Tuesday night when they face the Daggers in the first round of the Carling Cup.

Meanwhile, Coppell has once again played down the continued speculation linking James Harper with a move to Middlesbrough, insisting that he expects no further departures form the Madejski Stadium this summer.

"I don't think anyone else will leave now," he said

:| :| :| :|

Streets

by Streets » 13 Aug 2008 10:46

I just don't understand the thinking at the club.

We clearly need a left back and a right winger (preferably). Possibly even a central midfielder.

Again we're seemingly happy with what we have, no matter how thin the side is.

It's one of either the chairman not supporting manager financhially (my vote) or it's Coppell.

Someone needs shooting!

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 13 Aug 2008 10:59

Streets Someone needs shooting!

You?

Streets

by Streets » 13 Aug 2008 11:24

SpaceCruiser

You?

I was thinking more your mum for bringing you into the world. :wink:

JimmytheJim

by JimmytheJim » 13 Aug 2008 11:56

Streets I just don't understand the thinking at the club.

We clearly need a left back and a right winger (preferably). Possibly even a central midfielder.

It's one of either the chairman not supporting manager financhially (my vote) or it's Coppell.

Someone needs shooting!

I am one who leans towards the RTG perspective, and even I am getting rather nervous about this. A new left back is an absolute must, but it is also very apparent that we need somebody better than Kebe for the right wing. Perhaps Kebe will come good. But that is not a gamble worth taking. And yes, in an ideal world, we'd be bringing in a central midfielder as well, because Cissé has looked fairly hopeless there. And we'd have brought in a striker with some height. Sigh.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 13 Aug 2008 13:27

Streets
SpaceCruiser

You?

I was thinking more your mum for bringing you into the world. :wink:

Barn door, closing, horse, bolted. Send a T-2000 back to get her is what I say.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 13 Aug 2008 14:30

JimmytheJim

Someone needs shooting!

I am one who leans towards the RTG perspective, and even I am getting rather nervous about this. A new left back is an absolute must, but it is also very apparent that we need somebody better than Kebe for the right wing. Perhaps Kebe will come good. But that is not a gamble worth taking. And yes, in an ideal world, we'd be bringing in a central midfielder as well, because Cissé has looked fairly hopeless there. And we'd have brought in a striker with some height. Sigh.

RW: Henry
CM: Bikey

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 13 Aug 2008 14:33

JimmytheJim

Someone needs shooting!

I agree - but I can't see us bringing in another striker along with the four we've already got. On the other hand if we sold Doyle, we could always bring in Bas Savage - he's tall!

JimmytheJim

by JimmytheJim » 13 Aug 2008 16:48

SCIAG
JimmytheJim

Someone needs shooting!

RW: Henry
CM: Bikey

I don't like rolling my eyes. But that's a silly reply. Bikey is better as a centre-back than in the midfield, but fair enough, I'll grant that since he can play there he counts as midfield cover. Henry, however, is not better than Kebe, or at least not by enough to justify a regular first team place. If Kebe comes good, then fine, but I'm not holding my breath. If Henry proves to be a success this season, I'll eat a cloakroomful of hats.