Tommy Smith - Gazumped by Pompey - Thread

2326 posts
RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Unruined Tommy Smith RUMOUR Thread

by RobRoyal » 29 Jul 2009 16:38

andrew1957
RobRoyal
andrew1957 I suspect the lack of activity re Smith is because Hunt has not been sold. As soon as he goes my guess is we will be back in for Smith. Reading between the lines it looks like the club have not made any of the Doyle transfer money available so the sale of Hunt is probably conditional before moving for Smith. The argument (rightly or wrongly) is probably that if Hunt stays we don't need Smith.

I still think Smith will be a Reading player by 31st August.

This sounds likely, but it bothers me slightly. If we're not prepared to up our offer for Smith without getting a big fee in for SHunt, well, it's frustrating but there you go. But I think the idea that Smith and Hunt are in any way interchangable on the field has been pretty much debunked. I've got my fingers crossed that we'll get that fee for Hunt, but if we do then we need a like-for-like replacement in addition to another forward (whether BR actually sees Smith as a front man, who knows). I don't see that our left-sided options are particularly strong without Hunt. Or with Hunt, for that matter.

Yes but if we play 4-5-1 Smith is probably seen as one of a front three - probably playing on the right side so either Kebe, Henry or Robson-Kanu (or even Noel Hunt) will be playing wide left with Long up front. You don't need to replace Hunt with this set up and the idea is that Smith and others will get goals to replace Doyle's tally. Not saying it will work - just that this seems to be the BR theory.

Yeah... I'm extremely hopeful that banking on three right-footed players who are yet to prove themselves to cover the left side of that three (ok, Kebe is equally adept/poor on the left, I know) doesn't constitute a "theory" in our manager's eyes. It's more of a "wild stab". I don't see N Hunt or Long working in that position, but perhaps we'll find out.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 29 Jul 2009 16:45

kebes left footed

and the other two seem equally interchangeable in matches ive seen them in

though i agree another real lefty would be preferable

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 29 Jul 2009 17:51

brendywendy kebes left footed

Is he really? Remarkable :shock:

He's one of those players where it's quite hard to tell.

And not in a good way.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 29 Jul 2009 18:47

brendywendy kebes two left footed

:wink:

I thought it was said at the time that we bought him that while he was played on the left for Boulogne, he was primarily right footed.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 29 Jul 2009 19:12

Platypuss

I thought it was said at the time that we bought him that while he was played on the left for Boulogne, he was primarily right footed.

I'm pretty sure he prefers to play on the left.

That way he gets abused by Y21-Y26 in the second half instead of by Y18-Y21 in the first half.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Jul 2009 19:14

andrew1957
RobRoyal
andrew1957 I suspect the lack of activity re Smith is because Hunt has not been sold. As soon as he goes my guess is we will be back in for Smith. Reading between the lines it looks like the club have not made any of the Doyle transfer money available so the sale of Hunt is probably conditional before moving for Smith. The argument (rightly or wrongly) is probably that if Hunt stays we don't need Smith.

I still think Smith will be a Reading player by 31st August.

This sounds likely, but it bothers me slightly. If we're not prepared to up our offer for Smith without getting a big fee in for SHunt, well, it's frustrating but there you go. But I think the idea that Smith and Hunt are in any way interchangable on the field has been pretty much debunked. I've got my fingers crossed that we'll get that fee for Hunt, but if we do then we need a like-for-like replacement in addition to another forward (whether BR actually sees Smith as a front man, who knows). I don't see that our left-sided options are particularly strong without Hunt. Or with Hunt, for that matter.

Yes but if we play 4-5-1 Smith is probably seen as one of a front three - probably playing on the right side so either Kebe, Henry or Robson-Kanu (or even Noel Hunt) will be playing wide left with Long up front. You don't need to replace Hunt with this set up and the idea is that Smith and others will get goals to replace Doyle's tally. Not saying it will work - just that this seems to be the BR theory.

:shock:

Noel will start upfront ahead of Long if they are both fit. Certainly at the start of the season. Anything else would be madness.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Jul 2009 19:16

Dirk Gently
Platypuss

That way he gets abused by Y21-Y26 in the second half instead of by Y18-Y21 in the first half.

He might prefer to play on the left, doesn't mean he's left footed.

Pretty sure he's a righty.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 29 Jul 2009 19:24

Director of football Nick Hammond said: 'Jimmy is a winger who has a bit of pace and is a good size at over six foot tall. He is right footed but is comfortable on both sides of pitch.

'He's been playing in the French second division, so hasn't really been on people's radars. But we've been aware of him for some time. And every time our staff have watched Jimmy he's had a major impact on a game.

'Obviously it's a massive step up from that level to the English Premier League. But the same could have been said for a number of our players when they first came to the club.

'They have made the transition and we hope Jimmy can do the same.'

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=502798&cc=5739

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Jul 2009 19:25

Platypuss Director of football Nick Hammond said: 'Jimmy is a winger who has a bit of pace and is a good size at over six foot tall. He is right footed but is comfortable on both sides of pitch.

'He's been playing in the French second division, so hasn't really been on people's radars. But we've been aware of him for some time. And every time our staff have watched Jimmy he's had a major impact on a game.

'Obviously it's a massive step up from that level to the English Premier League. But the same could have been said for a number of our players when they first came to the club.

'They have made the transition and we hope Jimmy can do the same.'

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=502798&cc=5739

difference being they cut their teeth in the championship with us.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 29 Jul 2009 19:26

Ian Royal
Dirk Gently
Platypuss I thought it was said at the time that we bought him that while he was played on the left for Boulogne, he was primarily right footed.

He might prefer to play on the left, doesn't mean he's left footed.

Pretty sure he's a righty.

As shown by the quality and consistency of his crossing from the right?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Jul 2009 19:28

As shown by the fact he's right footed.

He's much more of a cut insider than a crosser.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 29 Jul 2009 19:31

Why is this turning into an argument? :?: It's perfectly plausible for him to be right-footed AND prefer playing on the left - they're not mutually exclusive conditions!

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 29 Jul 2009 19:33

Dirk Gently Why is this turning into an argument? :?: It's perfectly plausible for him to be right-footed AND prefer playing on the left - they're not mutually exclusive conditions!

The difference of opinion was with Brendy, not you!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Jul 2009 19:43

Dirk Gently Why is this turning into an argument? :?: It's perfectly plausible for him to be right-footed AND prefer playing on the left - they're not mutually exclusive conditions!

You quoted me. I was saying exactly that.

Matt de K

by Matt de K » 29 Jul 2009 20:57

The thread title is gonna have to be changed soon.....

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 29 Jul 2009 20:58

Are we going to sign the fecker or what?

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 29 Jul 2009 21:07

Terminal Boardom Are we going to sign the fecker or what?

we have to sell before we can buy, so at the moment no,

however if we can sell Shunt, then we will be in for him

Tilehurst Mike

by Tilehurst Mike » 29 Jul 2009 22:37

We'll be lucky to see another couple of youngsters on loan, yet alone Smith.
Madjeski is clearly out to pocket all he can and run the club on a shoestring.
I predict lots of fast flowing football with nice movement off the ball but with no cutting edge unless we sign an experienced striker.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 29 Jul 2009 22:54

Yes.

(.)Boobies(.)

by (.)Boobies(.) » 30 Jul 2009 08:07

We're close to a deal. The Evening Post are very much off the mark when they say we haven't been back with another bid. I'm sure they print for the sake of printing.

2326 posts