Arab takeover interest reported on tribalfootball.com

451 posts
Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Reading taken over by Arabs

by Norfolk Royal » 14 Sep 2009 10:42

TBM
Sun Tzu
TBM Dont get too excited. QPR are probably one of the riches clubs in the country at the moment and they haven't done much with it.............

QPR are owned by some very rich people.

That is totally different to being a very rich club.

It's never really seemed that their owners are that interested in the club. It's a minor play thing for some blokes with many other interests and the money they have put into it is small change for them. You get the impression that a couple of years ago it seemed a bit of fun to buy a club, but then they decided to get a new yacht, some racehorses etc etc and the club is last year's toy stuffed at the back of the cupboard.

True

Just saying that because you have rich owners, it doesn't mean you'll do a Chelsea/Man City

It would be totally LOL if we did though, don't you agree?

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Arab takeover interest reported on tribalfootball.com

by Thaumagurist* » 14 Sep 2009 10:42

Row Z Royal SJM's from Stoke.

:|

:roll:

He might have been born in Stoke, but he certainly didn't grow up there.

specialjon

by specialjon » 14 Sep 2009 10:43

winchester_royal
My mate's dad worked on drawing all the paperwork up. It's not dead, and most people behind the scenes still believe he'll sign, but the worry is by the time he's ready to, the arabs will have pissed off.

Do you expect us to believe that? Surely you'd have been staight on here with that information when you'd heard it, not waited for the times and the sun to release the rumours.

ElmParker
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by ElmParker » 14 Sep 2009 10:44

I want Reading to succeed, but not at any cost. Above all, I’ve never wanted unearned success.

I’m sure there’ll be much talk about ‘taking the club to the next level’. To me though, there’s only one way to do that: get more income by getting more fans in. Everything else is totally contrary to the spirit of football as I know it.

In so far as possible, I want my team rooted in my town, owned by someone with a local (and a club) connection and using only the funds the club can generate through its fans.

Outside billions – whether from oil, bearded ego-maniacs or Russian kleptocrats – are not wanted.

I don’t support my team because they win a lot. If that was all that counted, I’d just switch teams to Chelsea or some other modern entertainment business.

And if competing at this level demands unlimited funds, then I choose not to compete. I would rather Reading got relegated to a division where every club paid (or tried to) pay their way from their income than watch us piss money up a wall to chase a place in the lower reaches of the Premiership.

Football teams are about more than winning. More even than just football. Football teams are local institutions, guarded (not owned) by local custodians, where generations of families go to experience the successes and, yes, the failures of the club; to be entertained (sometimes); and to feel bound together into a larger whole – to feel members of a community with some shared points of reference.

Put money and winning above that and you’ll very quickly find that your team is no long yours.
Last edited by ElmParker on 14 Sep 2009 11:18, edited 1 time in total.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 14 Sep 2009 10:46

RobRoyal
The whole year inn
Tony Le Mesmer nightmare scenario for any self respecting FOOTBALL CLUB.

yep

rather see us relegated to the conference than owned by Arabs :|

Haha.

You fecking idiot.

Is there anything beyond rascism in those comments?

Do you believe that being owned by an self-interested English millionaire is very different from being owned by a group of self-interested foreign millionaires?

(Directed at Tony Le Mesmer, by the way - I'm assuming The Whole Year Inn was being ironic. Let's hope so).

Un fckng beleivable.

When opposition fans chant "Your support is fcking shit" (so true) they are talking about people like you Rob Nob.

As for the racism comment? you fcking low life.
Last edited by Tony Le Mesmer on 14 Sep 2009 10:46, edited 1 time in total.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 14 Sep 2009 10:46

Sun Tzu
Focher i think you'll find your the fukking idiot, its nothing to do with race, its to do with being owned by a LOCAL person who can identify with the club/town and run it well, which lets face it up until the last 18 months it has been run well and successfully. Although the prospect of being taken over by rich arabs appears exciting, they will not have a 2nd thought about walking out and leaving the club to dissolve.

The only 'fans' of RFC that will be spunking themselves about this are those who started supporting Reading after we moved from Elm Park and started being successful, the plastic brigade. Im guessing you lie in that category Rob the nob. If you don't, then you need your head tested to think long term this is good for the club. Its short term excitement that will ultimately kill RFC, thats if it hasnt already been killed.

How many of the foreign oweners have actually walked away and allowed a club to dissolve ?

I don't think mass foreign ownership is at all good for the English game but I'm prepared to at least give a new owner a chance. There have been some bad foreign owners and others who have stayed around for years (love him or loath him Fayed has stuck with Fulham, Villa seem to have a good guy and even Man Utd seem to have survived !)

Al Fayed is slightly different seeing as he has been based in England for many years, and his business' are based here. The arab owners have not been in charge long enough to judge whether they will walk away or not, its long term future that will be a problem. It will be interesting in 10 years time when the razzamatazz has all but died, dwindling attendences, where these investors will be. My guess is interested in something else.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 14 Sep 2009 10:54

ElmParker I want Reading to succeed, but not at any cost. Above all, I’ve never wanted unearned success.

I’m sure there’ll be much talk about ‘taking the club to the next level’. To me though, there’s only one way to do that: get more income by getting more fans in. Everything else is totally contrary to the spirit of football as I know it.

In so far as possible, I want my team rooted in my town, owned by someone with a local (and a club) connection and using only the funds the club can generate through its fans.

Outside billions – whether from oil, bearded ego-maniacs or Russian kleptocrats – are not wanted.

I don’t support my team because they win a lot. If that was all that counted, I’d just switch teams to Chelsea or some other modern entertainment business.

And if competing at this level demands unlimited funds, then I choose not to compete. I would rather Reading got relegated to a division where every club paid (or tried to) pay their way from their income than watch us piss money up a wall to chase a place in the lower reaches of the Premiership.

Football teams are about more than winning. More even than just football. Football teams are local institutions, guarded (not owned) by local custodians, where generations of families go to experience the successes and, yes, the failures of the club; to be entertained (sometimes); and to feel bound together into a larger whole – to feel members of a community with some shared points of reference.

Put money and winning about that and you’ll very quickly find that your team is no long yours.

Well put.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 14 Sep 2009 10:58

If it makes you feel better you can blame sky, football as a local institution went the way of the dinosaur in the top leagues ages ago.

It's all about making money and having a shiny poodle.

Or the current trend, finding an ugly duckling and turning it into a swan through cosmetic surgery and a bit wallet.

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 14 Sep 2009 11:14

ElmParker I want Reading to succeed, but not at any cost. Above all, I’ve never wanted unearned success.

Put money and winning about that and you’ll very quickly find that your team is no long yours.

Agree 100%

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 14 Sep 2009 11:18

Thaumagurist*
Row Z Royal SJM's from Stoke.

:|

:roll:

He might have been born in Stoke, but he certainly didn't grow up there.

But he did start his life in Stoke?

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 14 Sep 2009 11:20

Focher
Sun Tzu
Focher i think you'll find your the fukking idiot, its nothing to do with race, its to do with being owned by a LOCAL person who can identify with the club/town and run it well, which lets face it up until the last 18 months it has been run well and successfully. Although the prospect of being taken over by rich arabs appears exciting, they will not have a 2nd thought about walking out and leaving the club to dissolve.

The only 'fans' of RFC that will be spunking themselves about this are those who started supporting Reading after we moved from Elm Park and started being successful, the plastic brigade. Im guessing you lie in that category Rob the nob. If you don't, then you need your head tested to think long term this is good for the club. Its short term excitement that will ultimately kill RFC, thats if it hasnt already been killed.

How many of the foreign oweners have actually walked away and allowed a club to dissolve ?

I don't think mass foreign ownership is at all good for the English game but I'm prepared to at least give a new owner a chance. There have been some bad foreign owners and others who have stayed around for years (love him or loath him Fayed has stuck with Fulham, Villa seem to have a good guy and even Man Utd seem to have survived !)

Al Fayed is slightly different seeing as he has been based in England for many years, and his business' are based here. The arab owners have not been in charge long enough to judge whether they will walk away or not, its long term future that will be a problem. It will be interesting in 10 years time when the razzamatazz has all but died, dwindling attendences, where these investors will be. My guess is interested in something else.

Very fair comments Focher ! Don't disagree with that. Although we've always had people getting involved with clubs who didn't necessarily have the right long term plans - Robert Maxwell, Michael Knighton, George Reynolds - the list is long. Is the risk higher with foreign investors ? I guess they don;t have to live in the community after they decide to drop out ! I would much rather have a local guy in charge, although I wouldn't 100% rule out the possibility that a foreigner could develop a genuine love for the club that went beyond a pure business relationship. We've got plenty of non local fans who become every much 'genuine' fans as those of us born in the town...

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 14 Sep 2009 11:23

Sun Tzu

George Reynolds

:lol: Genius, utter genius

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 14 Sep 2009 11:31

1. Nothing is guaranteed at this level of football
2. For this club to compete (and I mean really compete in the competition for European places) we need serious financial backing and that is clout that JM does not have and/or is not willing to risk
3. You get nothing for not trying

Until any buyout is confirmed in the local media then its just hearsay and rumour.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 14 Sep 2009 11:35

Okay, so let me get this straight: the majority of you lot are not liking this idea either:
A - You want someone connected to the club and with the Club's interests at heart...
or
B - You're worried about the long-term future of the club...
Yet a selected few who have been calling for SJM's head over the past few years are still reacting badly to this?

A - Can you think of anyone who would want to buy this club, who has more money than SJM, and who has this Club's interest at heart?
B - The long term future of this club is "dull and uninspiring" if we don't have an ambitious owner who is willing to fund that ambition, isn't it?

If the Arabs take over, and then get us to the Premier League and we steady the ship when we're there, then when/if they do walk out on us, surely we'll be a club that would interest more owners because of our League position?

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 14 Sep 2009 11:35

Don't know what to say about this - shocked :o

Would like Reading to be owned by a local person but Madejski's heart isn't in it anymore. Bit like Stevie C - you can't force someone to do a job they do not want to do.

So we may as well accept the money for all the uncertainty that it will bring!

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 14 Sep 2009 11:36

SteveRoyal Okay, so let me get this straight: the majority of you lot are not liking this idea either:
A - You want someone connected to the club and with the Club's interests at heart...
or
B - You're worried about the long-term future of the club...
Yet a selected few who have been calling for SJM's head over the past few years are still reacting badly to this?

A - Can you think of anyone who would want to buy this club, who has more money than SJM, and who has this Club's interest at heart?
B - The long term future of this club is "dull and uninspiring" if we don't have an ambitious owner who is willing to fund that ambition, isn't it?

If the Arabs take over, and then get us to the Premier League and we steady the ship when we're there, then when/if they do walk out on us, surely we'll be a club that would interest more owners because of our League position?

True but look at Portsmouth (although admittedly we have a better set up than they do).

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 14 Sep 2009 11:42

Surprised at the quoted price; £80m values Reading on a par with Newcastle!

I was under the impression that SJM wanted to ONLY sell the football club, but retain ownership of the stadium and the hotel; £80M would suggest that his stance may have changed.

Thoughts? Well, change always carries both risk and opportunity, but speaking personally, I wouldn't like my club to go the way of Chelsea and Man City - listening to fans of Man City on 606 over the weekend made we want to physically throw up, and I would loathe our club to engender similar attitudes of arrogance and ugliness that the Man City fans on 606 displayed....

I hope if this happens the new owners give BR the time needed to develop his side and not see it as a short term ego trip for themselves so try and get big names for the sake of it.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 14 Sep 2009 11:44

Mr Angry Surprised at the quoted price; £80m values Reading on a par with Newcastle!

I was under the impression that SJM wanted to ONLY sell the football club, but retain ownership of the stadium and the hotel; £80M would suggest that his stance may have changed.

Thoughts? Well, change always carries both risk and opportunity, but speaking personally, I wouldn't like my club to go the way of Chelsea and Man City - listening to fans of Man City on 606 over the weekend made we want to physically throw up, and I would loathe our club to engender similar attitudes of arrogance and ugliness that the Man City fans on 606 displayed....

I hope if this happens the new owners give BR the time needed to develop his side and not see it as a short term ego trip for themselves so try and get big names for the sake of it.

+1. City fans I know have turned into horribly arrogant people. Their support for Adebayor for example. Ars*holes!

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 14 Sep 2009 11:45

My feeling is that most fans, and new ones, will happily slip into Man City mode.

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 14 Sep 2009 11:46

Archie's penalty
SteveRoyal If the Arabs take over, and then get us to the Premier League and we steady the ship when we're there, then when/if they do walk out on us, surely we'll be a club that would interest more owners because of our League position?

True but look at Portsmouth (although admittedly we have a better set up than they do).

Quite, depends what the the business is in at the time it is needed to be sold (Look at Newcastle -why haven't they managed to find a buyer for a price not much in excess of this supposed deal? Massive Club, Massive potential, "best" fans in the world? Mainly because the the ridiculous financial management of the previous and current boards).

Anyway back to your original point, I'll go for the uninspired, underacheiving route rather than spend, spend, spend for success.(Unimaginative, naive, underacheiving fool that I am) Give me the likes of Pat Earles, Denis Butler, Colin Baillie any day compared to a team of mercenaries who I can't identify, let alone identify with

451 posts