2013 Summer Transfer Window

801 posts
sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: 2013 Summer Transfer Window

by sandman » 15 Aug 2013 08:25

FridaysGhost
JordCot
FridaysGhost I would love to see a Michu come to Reading, someone who no-one else has heard of but, the truth is, we have already missed the boat and we are likely to still be in the Championship next Season

Why do people think Michu was such a suprise? He was the top scoring midfielder from la liga or something the season he left for swansea, its not like they plucked him from the oxf*rd ukrainian 3rd division.

Memory says he cost 2m and, at the time, very few people in England (which includes millions of CM13 players) knew much about him or what an impact he might make. As you obviously knew all about him, perhaps you should have mentioned that to us and the club before Swansea bought him!

The club have a very special filing system for letters from fans.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 15 Aug 2013 08:30

I could have sworn that I heard this morning on BBCRB that Adie was going to the Mad Stad as there was going to be a press conference, but I was half asleep and may have dreamed this. :oops:

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 15 Aug 2013 08:32

They always have their press day on a Thursday I believe.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 15 Aug 2013 08:33

Oh, that's probably what I heard then! It was 6.45am when they said it and I was half awake. Thanks!

Dave the rave

by Dave the rave » 19 Aug 2013 10:55

From the game on Saturday, I have it on good authority we are talking to and could be close to signing a new forward.

Mr Samuelson would not divulge a name though.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 19 Aug 2013 11:50

Dave the rave From the game on Saturday, I have it on good authority we are talking to and could be close to signing a new forward.

Some Baseya fella on a free.......

Harrydog

by Harrydog » 19 Aug 2013 12:03

maffff
Dave the rave From the game on Saturday, I have it on good authority we are talking to and could be close to signing a new forward.

I'm hoping but not confident that we spend 3-4m on a real good striker for this level.
my head tells me its just going to be a freebie.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 19 Aug 2013 12:15

I know it's been talkled about quite a lot in the media recently, but someone who I know has been pretty good on club stuff before was saying to me the other day that we're actively pursuing positions in particular and it's nailed on we'll have at least a couple in. Could even be a third, but very tentative on the enquiries at this stage there as it might come down to players moving on. What was nice was hearing that we are looking at a handful of players the positions we are after, but do have main targets. The 'buy low, sell high' approach won't go away any time soon.

What I liked hearing the most was the club has put together a good half a dozen or so players that he would want for each position and options identified for loans etc, in the instance that an offer 'too good' came in or we needed reinforcements through injury. Sounds like as well as ramping up the scouting in general we have our first/second/third choices much more defined than in the past and a lot of this has come down to Adkins asking for more structure.

The owner is impressed by him, the players (mostly) seem to love him and a lot of the staff have nothing but good things to say either.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 19 Aug 2013 12:24

maffff I know it's been talkled about quite a lot in the media recently, but someone who I know has been pretty good on club stuff before was saying to me the other day that we're actively pursuing positions in particular and it's nailed on we'll have at least a couple in. Could even be a third, but very tentative on the enquiries at this stage there as it might come down to players moving on. What was nice was hearing that we are looking at a handful of players the positions we are after, but do have main targets. The 'buy low, sell high' approach won't go away any time soon.

What I liked hearing the most was the club has put together a good half a dozen or so players that he would want for each position and options identified for loans etc, in the instance that an offer 'too good' came in or we needed reinforcements through injury. Sounds like as well as ramping up the scouting in general we have our first/second/third choices much more defined than in the past and a lot of this has come down to Adkins asking for more structure.

The owner is impressed by him, the players (mostly) seem to love him and a lot of the staff have nothing but good things to say either.

Top stuff, Maffff. Appreciated!

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 19 Aug 2013 12:35

maffff I know it's been talkled about quite a lot in the media recently, but someone who I know has been pretty good on club stuff before was saying to me the other day that we're actively pursuing positions in particular and it's nailed on we'll have at least a couple in. Could even be a third, but very tentative on the enquiries at this stage there as it might come down to players moving on. What was nice was hearing that we are looking at a handful of players the positions we are after, but do have main targets. The 'buy low, sell high' approach won't go away any time soon.

That's great to hear and just as it should always have been, really sad to hear that methodology is only just being implemented! I was also impressed by Adkins' comment in the media last week that we do now know everything there is to know about virtually every player in Europe and further afield (god knows what that actually means though)

From my point of view I think we do need to "lose" Pogrebnyak if we can (no ill feeling towards Pavel just that it makes sound sense to shift his wage off as soon as possible and he's made it clear he wants to move if the opportunity arises) and we could also probably shed a right back, a keeper and a midfielder with no detriment to the overall squad.

I would then be looking to bring in a couple of attacking options (personal preference here would be Jerome and Vaz Te) and a left sided defender.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 19 Aug 2013 15:25

Harrydog
maffff

I'm hoping but not confident that we spend 3-4m on a real good striker for this level.

just cannot see us, nor do i want us, to saign anyyone for 4 million at this level.

rfc58

by rfc58 » 19 Aug 2013 15:41

my head tells me its just going to be a freebie.[/quote]

just cannot see us, nor do i want us, to saign anyyone for 4 million at this level.[/quote]
But would it be classed as a gamble worth taking ?

We have a team that's one of the better ones in this league, but I'm not convinced the squad is good enough.

Similar to when we got relegated the first time from the Premier League, we were a player or two away from avoiding it.

I think a couple of really quality additions could make the difference, personally speaking, think Blackman at one million is a waste of money, rather that million be used to get a really good player in.

If we go up with a team ready and good enough to compete, we a) don't have to buy so many players next summer, and the team have then had 12 months playing as a team under Nigel.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 19 Aug 2013 16:17

rfc58 I'm hoping but not confident that we spend 3-4m on a real good striker for this level.

just cannot see us, nor do i want us, to saign anyyone for 4 million at this level.[/quote]
But would it be classed as a gamble worth taking ?

.[/quote]

not for me

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 19 Aug 2013 16:20

[quote][quote][quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Aug 2013 16:26

rfc58 But would it be classed as a gamble worth taking ?

Can you explain how we'd get our money back even if it proved successful, given we need to invest more on promotion than we've done before, and our PL profits from previous seasons were hardly huge anyway?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 19 Aug 2013 16:28

[quoe]
maffff [quo][uote][quoe][/quot][/
[e]
[/quote][/quot]

rfc58

by rfc58 » 19 Aug 2013 16:34

Ian Royal

Can you explain how we'd get our money back even if it proved successful, given we need to invest more on promotion than we've done before, and our PL profits from previous seasons were hardly huge anyway?

That's why I asked is it a gamble, didn't say it was a sure thing.

If we laid out say 3 million, if the player ripped up trees for us, we could sell him on if we failed to go up.

No different to any signing, take Blackman as an example, we paid just over one million, I doubt we'd recoup that if we wanted to sell him as I doubt he was ever worth one million.

A risk on a better player may add to the team, but may hold his value if we have to flog him at a later stage.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 19 Aug 2013 16:39

melonhead [quoe][qute]
maffff [quo][uote][quoe][/quot][/
[e][quot][quo][/quot][/que][quo][quo][q][uote][status quo][uote][te][q][uo][qte][quot][te]][quo][/q]

QED

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 20 Aug 2013 10:01

rfc58
Ian Royal

That's why I asked is it a gamble, didn't say it was a sure thing.

If we laid out say 3 million, if the player ripped up trees for us, we could sell him on if we failed to go up.

No different to any signing, take Blackman as an example, we paid just over one million, I doubt we'd recoup that if we wanted to sell him as I doubt he was ever worth one million.

A risk on a better player may add to the team, but may hold his value if we have to flog him at a later stage.

what if we payed 3 million, didnt rip up any trees, and no one wanted him when we tried to shift him

rfc58

by rfc58 » 20 Aug 2013 10:30

Every signing is a gamble, the more the money, obviously the bigger the gamble, but if your scouting system is good, you will lessen the risk, we would have to rely on the scouts we have at the club.

Look at another way, when we sign players for a million or less, and I am thinking of Akpan, McCleary, Blackman as they are fairly new to the club, will they do what the club boasts is its main aim, to establish itself as a Premiership club long term, plucking them from league one and expecting them to hold their own against the very best is a greater risk, because if they cannot do this, then we have bought players in who are, through no fault of their own, not good enough, and we have the wage pot full up with players who aren't good enough to meet the expectations.

Listening to Gilkes years ago on Radio Berkshire, he came out with a statement that is hard argue against, buying expensive players is not a guarantee of class, but more often than not, it's less of a gamble than lower cost players untested at the level you aspire to be at.

801 posts