2013 Summer Transfer Window

801 posts
melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: 2013 Summer Transfer Window

by melonhead » 20 Aug 2013 10:35

rfc58 Every signing is a gamble, the more the money, obviously the bigger the gamble, but if your scouting system is good, you will lessen the risk, we would have to rely on the scouts we have at the club.

Look at another way, when we sign players for a million or less, and I am thinking of Akpan, McCleary, Blackman as they are fairly new to the club, will they do what the club boasts is its main aim, to establish itself as a Premiership club long term, plucking them from league one and expecting them to hold their own against the very best is a greater risk, because if they cannot do this, then we have bought players in who are, through no fault of their own, not good enough, and we have the wage pot full up with players who aren't good enough to meet the expectations.

Listening to Gilkes years ago on Radio Berkshire, he came out with a statement that is hard argue against, buying expensive players is not a guarantee of class, but more often than not, it's less of a gamble than lower cost players untested at the level you aspire to be at.

for some reason your list of the players we signed for a million or less doesn't contain all of the players within that value who were a massive success here, and in the prem.

rfc58

by rfc58 » 20 Aug 2013 10:55

But they are some of the latest players we signed who were bought in to keep us in the league we aimed to stay in.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 20 Aug 2013 11:04

mcleary still one of our better players.

if you look at our prem outing as a total failure of what we planned, then i guess youd be right
if you look at it as something we planned on, spending low, and hoping to stay up, but if not take the money and run, use it to finance the Cat1 academy set up, AND finance the next four years push to get back there (ala west brom) then i can see the rationale behind those signings a little better.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 20 Aug 2013 11:05

melonhead
rfc58 Every signing is a gamble, the more the money, obviously the bigger the gamble, but if your scouting system is good, you will lessen the risk, we would have to rely on the scouts we have at the club.

Look at another way, when we sign players for a million or less, and I am thinking of Akpan, McCleary, Blackman as they are fairly new to the club, will they do what the club boasts is its main aim, to establish itself as a Premiership club long term, plucking them from league one and expecting them to hold their own against the very best is a greater risk, because if they cannot do this, then we have bought players in who are, through no fault of their own, not good enough, and we have the wage pot full up with players who aren't good enough to meet the expectations.

Listening to Gilkes years ago on Radio Berkshire, he came out with a statement that is hard argue against, buying expensive players is not a guarantee of class, but more often than not, it's less of a gamble than lower cost players untested at the level you aspire to be at.

for some reason your list of the players we signed for a million or less doesn't contain all of the players within that value who were a massive success here, and in the prem.

But for each of those, and there really aren't as many as some suggest, you could add at least one other (and probably two) cheap, speculative signings that didn't work out. The tall Irish striker (Karl Sheppard?), Brett Williams? etc.

rfc58

by rfc58 » 20 Aug 2013 11:33

Melon head, I make you right when it comes to the academy, that is arguably THE biggest investment any club must make.

We claim now to have a very detailed scouting system in place, hence why now I feel if we are to buy in players, buy in to match your aspirations, and according to the board, that is to be an established premier league side, and let the kids who come through the academy break through, and blend in with quality.

The risk of spending higher amounts must drop if you have scouted properly, but I worry we will keep trying to buy the "next Kitson or Doyle" on the cheap, because it worked before, we have a huge wage bill filled with players good enough for the Championship but not good enough for the PL, and Anton quite rightly says trim the wage bill before I reinvest.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 20 Aug 2013 14:29

clearly the policy has changed somewhat, they are just sensibly not going to pay daft money at this level

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Aug 2013 17:31

RoyalBlue
melonhead

But for each of those, and there really aren't as many as some suggest, you could add at least one other (and probably two) cheap, speculative signings that didn't work out. The tall Irish striker (Karl Sheppard?), Brett Williams? etc.

For every big money failed signing, we can afford half a dozen bargain signings to fail and still come out ahead when one succeeds. And our >/=£1m signing record is hardly good.
Lita, Seol, Fae, Halford, Matejovsky, (Rosenior), Bikey, Mills, Mariappa, Gunter, Kelly, Blackman, Williams.
Very few multi-season success stories there and several abject failures. Now, I still think we've wasted money on several players who were never going to make it (Baseya, B Williams), but as far as buying rough diamonds low and polishing them to sell them high, it's impossible to argue it's not effective.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 22 Aug 2013 10:40

So how long until we announce the signings of Akpala, Ameobi, Becchio, Benayoun, Crouch, De Ridder, van Duinen, Emnes, Fryatt, Havenaar, Ibou, Jerome, Jones, Lambert, Lobato, Long, McDaid, Sharp, Sigurdsson, Sissoko, Vaughan and Vaz Te?

Gotta admit, Benayoun feels like a bit of a luxury there.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 22 Aug 2013 11:00

Millwall want Shaun Cummings, apparently.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 22 Aug 2013 14:51

‏@NabilHassan79 35s
#readingfc boss Nigel Adkins confirms that deals for two new players are close to being completed.

One's obvs Akpala. Who do we recks the other one is? Vaughan?

rfc58

by rfc58 » 22 Aug 2013 14:54

Pepe the Horseman ‏@NabilHassan79 35s
#readingfc boss Nigel Adkins confirms that deals for two new players are close to being completed.

Hope it's Cameron and Vaughan.

They will add to the team immediately.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 22 Aug 2013 15:03

Akpala and Lobato have my money

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 22 Aug 2013 15:14

WTF? We have to get it back :!:

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 22 Aug 2013 15:19

Pepe the Horseman ‏@NabilHassan79 35s

Akpala and McDaid :lol:

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 22 Aug 2013 15:20

My hotsauce tells me it's Gylfi and Long...

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 22 Aug 2013 15:22

winchester_royal Akpala and Lobato have my money

Yes please. Lobato especially.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 22 Aug 2013 15:24

I've got a feeling winch will be very pleased if we sign Lobato

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 22 Aug 2013 15:27

Don't like them unshaven like that tbh. Tickles my chin.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 22 Aug 2013 15:28

You wouldn't say no though, surely? He's the closest thing to perfection I've ever seen.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 22 Aug 2013 15:28

Err, *no homo*.

801 posts