Tommy Smith - Gazumped by Pompey - Thread

2326 posts
andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Unruined Tommy Smith RUMOUR Thread

by andrew1957 » 21 Aug 2009 12:17

Terminal Boardom And the whole sorry saga would not have happened had BR not gobbed off in that press conference about Tommy Smith wanting to come here. In hindsight it was unprofessional. My money is that it is a lesson well and truly learnt.

We now have to go cap in hand to Russo and eat shitloads of humble pie. Not nice but the question remains; how much do we want / need Tommy Smith. The answer determines the amount we have to pay.

Agreed. A bit harsh to blame Hammond who has generally done a good job for us. The blame is to Rodgers for gobbing off and Sir John for not authorizing Hammond to go back with a bigger offer at a much earlier stage.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 21 Aug 2009 12:21

All because we're trying to fool Watford into thinking we can win promotion and they'll see a nice slice of money for it. They know like we do, we aren't going up this season, prolly next season either. Sort this mess out ffs.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 21 Aug 2009 12:47

andrew1957 ... Sir John for not authorizing Hammond to go back with a bigger offer at a much earlier stage.
:|

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 21 Aug 2009 13:02

Deathy
Royal Lady FAO: Jay - "Rodgers hopes to add another player before close of transfer window". Oooh. If we sign Smith and ANOTHER player. That makes TWO. :roll:

You go on and on... Rodgers was quoted numerous times that he wanted TWO MORE. So if that's changed, it's changed. But never the less, he wanted two more. Smith was clearly one, and another. Move on love.

Because dolts like you try and make out I'M the stupid one. You clearly said earlier that it was Smith plus two then you backtracked. Just pointing out like.

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 21 Aug 2009 13:03

How can Reading still be in discussions if the last offer which was final was rejected????

Surely if its a final offer its a final offer... :?:

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 21 Aug 2009 13:05

Royal Lady
Deathy
Royal Lady FAO: Jay - "Rodgers hopes to add another player before close of transfer window". Oooh. If we sign Smith and ANOTHER player. That makes TWO. :roll:

You go on and on... Rodgers was quoted numerous times that he wanted TWO MORE. So if that's changed, it's changed. But never the less, he wanted two more. Smith was clearly one, and another. Move on love.

Because dolts like you try and make out I'M the stupid one. You clearly said earlier that it was Smith plus two then you backtracked. Just pointing out like.

FFS!! You are STUPID. You just don't read properly. I said Rodgers was quoted as wanting 2 MORE PLAYERS. Smith was one, OBVIOUSLY. Then Hammond missed the team photo because he was away on business. I take that as he's trying to bRing in the second of the '2 MORE PLAYERS'. :roll:

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 21 Aug 2009 13:08

Royal Lady
Deathy

Because dolts like you try and make out I'M the stupid one.

You are. Rodgers has said several times he's targeting two more additions.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 21 Aug 2009 13:20

Royalee
Royal Lady
Deathy

Because dolts like you try and make out I'M the stupid one.

You are. Rodgers has said several times he's targeting two more additions.

Ha! Better tell Jay then - unless he backtracks AGAIN. :lol:

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 21 Aug 2009 13:25

Royal Lady Ha! Better tell Jay then - unless he backtracks AGAIN. :lol:

Royalee has just confirmed you are stupid, and you're telling him to tell me. :lol:

Read the posts from last night. You're making yourself sound stupid, we're not doing it for you. What part of Rodgers wanting 2 more signings and Smith being one of them, leaving one more wanted to come in do you not understand? Perhaps you can put your husband on instead?

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 21 Aug 2009 13:33

Deathy

Royalee has just confirmed you are stupid, and you're telling him to tell me. :lol:

Read the posts from last night. You're making yourself sound stupid, we're not doing it for you. What part of Rodgers wanting 2 more signings and Smith being one of them, leaving one more wanted to come in do you not understand? Perhaps you can put your husband on instead?

If you guys want my opinion......then Jay is right and RL is in the wrong

Sorry

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 21 Aug 2009 13:55

TBM
Deathy

If you guys want my opinion......then Jay is right and RL is in the wrong

Sorry

Agreed :mrgreen:

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 21 Aug 2009 13:57

Watford Observer Tommy Smith is expected to play in front of his adoring fans against Blackpool after Reading’s ‘take-it-or-leave-it’ offer failed to meet Watford’s valuation for the forward.

Well, who would have thought it eh? :roll:

Tbh, Watford would be justified in telling us to take a running jump anyway; Rodgers speaking out about Smith wanting to come to Reading was outrageous and our initial bid was derisory for someone who scored regularly in this division last season. And that is without mentioning the understandable sourness they must feel towards Rodgers in any case.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 21 Aug 2009 14:38

floyd__streete
Watford Observer Tommy Smith is expected to play in front of his adoring fans against Blackpool after Reading’s ‘take-it-or-leave-it’ offer failed to meet Watford’s valuation for the forward.

Well, who would have thought it eh? :roll:

Tbh, Watford would be justified in telling us to take a running jump anyway; Rodgers speaking out about Smith wanting to come to Reading was outrageous and our initial bid was derisory for someone who scored regularly in this division last season. And that is without mentioning the understandable sourness they must feel towards Rodgers in any case.

Tend to agree with you. You always like to think of your own club as beyond reproach but, in the media at least, we don't exactly come out of this smelling of roses.

Still hope we sign him though, good player at this level and the team is lacking in experience.

Hope nobody was blinded by the obviousness of that last statement.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 21 Aug 2009 14:45

Just listened to an interview on the Eve Post, Rodgers outright said.

"We had to pay off our overdraft." I guess the interest payments were getting on their nerves.

Now we've done that the money from the last couple of transfers out is available for spending on new players.

The reason this wasn't tied up 4 weeks ago is simply because we didn't have the last two players went out.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 21 Aug 2009 14:48

ZacNaloen Just listened to an interview on the Eve Post, Rodgers outright said.

"We had to pay off our overdraft." I guess the interest payments were getting on their nerves.

Now we've done that the money from the last couple of transfers out is available for spending on new players.

The reason this wasn't tied up 4 weeks ago is simply because we didn't have the last two players went out.

That's all very well, but the club knew Hunt was off, and was near certain Bikey was leaving, so Madejski could have funded a move for Smith then, and got the money back when the sales went through? It's his choice/preference to wait for the 'business' to be able to afford it.

Either way, our season hinges on goals, and the excuses are already in place from the football club.

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 21 Aug 2009 15:10

I think this deal is dead in the water and if so it is due to the fact that Hammond and co decided to go in with a cheeky offer to start with which got up the Twatford boards noses

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 21 Aug 2009 15:10

Deathy, can I be the 4,567,839th person on this board to point out that you are exactly the last person on Earth who should be giving money advice to anybody.

Some people prefer to spend only the money they already have, especially if their anticipated future income isn't guaranteed. Those deals could easily have fallen through.

premiership_bound

by premiership_bound » 21 Aug 2009 15:12

ZacNaloen Just listened to an interview on the Eve Post, Rodgers outright said.

That's actually a really good interview. Well worth the listen

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 21 Aug 2009 15:28

bigmike I think this deal is dead in the water and if so it is due to the fact that Hammond and co decided to go in with a cheeky offer to start with which got up the Twatford boards noses

It's probably got a lot more to do with us taking their manager from under their noses then him talking out of turn about their players.

Like others, I can understand them being pissed off and not letting us have him.

(.)Boobies(.)

by (.)Boobies(.) » 21 Aug 2009 15:33

We are "locked in negotiations" apparently. So, so much for a final offer. Nick Hammond and Brendan Rodgers have done a very unprofessional job on this deal. We now look desperate, and very probably are.

2326 posts