New manager rumours and speculation

768 posts
morganb
Hob Nob Regular

Re: New manager rumours and speculation

by morganb » 19 Jun 2023 13:12

Gary O'Neil: Bournemouth sack head coach less than seven months after permanent appointment

As this is Bournemouth does it follow that:

Chris Wilder: Bournemouth appoint new head coach

Also, would Reading now approach O'Neil?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Jun 2023 13:29

Genuine wtf at Bournemouth sacking him. Bizarre on the surface of it

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Jun 2023 13:32

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
elrey
Sometimes you throw the dice with an inexperienced manager and it works. Sometimes you appoint an experienced manager and it doesn't..... I don't know this guy, so I can't really criticize him, just hope if he's appointed that he's good.

Indeed but again he won't be a "manager" in the way we would be used to, he'll be a head coach as the non-playing things you generally expect a manager to handle as well will be taken on by Bowen and co esp the key area of contracts and recruitment.

I think this is a very optimistic view and a muddying of waters with a job title switcheroo.

Ince operated under the same conditions. Not a Head Coach. McDermott and Coppell both had Hammond in a similar way, not Head Coaches. Unless you're using Head Coach interchangeably with modern Manager, in which case you lose your distinction about why Selles is a good fit for our approach compared to others.

This is also generally the norm these days.

No Hammond worked to get players over the line that the manager wanted. There was no real structure in place under Ince until late in the window and as was documented recruitment was done on a wing and a prayer with Bowen in particular pulling in favours.

Now if you believe what Bowen has been saying (and completely understand if you don't), the set up is quite different and designed to give the club an identity i.e. he, Carey and Dublin/whoever are responsible for identifying and recruiting players to fit the way we want the club to play, they will recruit a head coach/manager based on them having a similar outlook, so if it goes pair shaped we aren't left with X number of players at the club but new guy Y wants to play a different way, so we add another Y players to the mix and hope to get rid of the old ones.

Totally appreciate I could be putting 2 and 2 together here and making 5 but given the info we have had in the past an appointment like Selles (or someone else) makes sense. As mentioned Wilder being available and interested was a wild card (in my mind) and one worth trying to get over the line.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 19 Jun 2023 13:33

morganb Gary O'Neil: Bournemouth sack head coach less than seven months after permanent appointment

O'Neil is sadly way out of our league.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Jun 2023 13:35

morganb Gary O'Neil: Bournemouth sack head coach less than seven months after permanent appointment

Bowen might well put a quick call in but he isn't coming here, unsurprisingly some on Twitter going mental at the idea and already finding a way to blame the club if it doesn't happen.

Anyway, he's been involved in the coaching side of things for less time that Selles, so why would be interested? :wink:

On Strings

by On Strings » 19 Jun 2023 13:52

O'Neil earnt his stripes last season. No way he'd drop to a desperate mess like us. He would walk into a decent Championship job.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 19 Jun 2023 14:05

Stranded
Royal_jimmy I'd be amazed if Selles lasts the season with us if appointed.

I'm fed up with sacking managers, I'd like someone to be given 3 years but it has to be the right man. There's very little to suggest Selles will be here that long.

How many managers are anywhere for 3 years now?

If Wilder came off that would have been the coup to end all coups but there were clearly too many question marks on both sides.

If it is to be Selles, he has to be given a chance, there is actually a pretty diverse, interesting and yes successful career to date there. He started as a fitness coach, moved into data analysis, been an assistant at a title winning side and competed in European competition - now maybe #2 is his best role but he has the CV of someone who has built up a deep understanding of the game in areas that we have definitely been lacking.

I can absolutely see why we are looking at him and may even end up appointing him especially as it would most likely be in a Head Coach position.

I'm inclined to agree with you. This is in no way an endorsement for Selles getting the job but given the constraints we would appear to be under, there is a lot on his CV that fits into our needs and, unlike some of our previous appointments, I can actually see some method to the madness.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 19 Jun 2023 14:08

Y'all have lost your damn minds.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Jun 2023 14:25

Pepe the Horseman Y'all have lost your damn minds.

N'ah - I'm just looking at it logically and can see why those making the choices would see him being a fit. Again not that I want him or think he will be a success.

If appointed though, I won't throw my toys out of the pram and will support him until it goes tits up as per the usual cycle.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 19 Jun 2023 14:32

leon
SCIAG I see we're reaching whole new heights of bedwetting...

Explain.

People freaking out about speculation that we might appoint someone to manage us in League One who didn't win many games as Southampton's third manager of the season in the Premier League. Prematurely calling it the worst appointment ever, comparing it unfavourably to appointing Glenn Hoddle or Steve Cotterill, saying they'll be livid if it happens. It's just a hysterical overreaction.

I don't like seeing toddlers cry in the supermarket because their parents tell them they can't have an unlimited amount of sweets, but I don't blame the children for having no sense of the broader perspective.

Grown adults should be able to chill out and have a bit more of a zen reaction. We've all been wrong about these things before. We can all think of managers who did well in League One and badly in the Premier League. We can all think of coaches who did well despite no past experience. Just chill out and see where it takes us rather than throwing toys out of the pram. It's only a game. It won't be great if it doesn't work out, but people are far too confident that it won't work and far too upset at the thought of it maybe not working.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 19 Jun 2023 14:34

Some people in here are probably the same people who wanted Coppell to be sacked in early 2005, then thought McDermott was a bad appointment because he'd only managed Slough.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 19 Jun 2023 14:40

SCIAG
leon
SCIAG I see we're reaching whole new heights of bedwetting...

Explain.

People freaking out about speculation that we might appoint someone to manage us in League One who didn't win many games as Southampton's third manager of the season in the Premier League. Prematurely calling it the worst appointment ever, comparing it unfavourably to appointing Glenn Hoddle or Steve Cotterill, saying they'll be livid if it happens. It's just a hysterical overreaction.

I don't like seeing toddlers cry in the supermarket because their parents tell them they can't have an unlimited amount of sweets, but I don't blame the children for having no sense of the broader perspective.

Grown adults should be able to chill out and have a bit more of a zen reaction. We've all been wrong about these things before. We can all think of managers who did well in League One and badly in the Premier League. We can all think of coaches who did well despite no past experience. Just chill out and see where it takes us rather than throwing toys out of the pram. It's only a game. It won't be great if it doesn't work out, but people are far too confident that it won't work and far too upset at the thought of it maybe not working.

Do you not think this is an overreaction to their overreaction?

We have appointed some truly horrific managers in the last 10 years and that people are watching it happen again?

But it strikes me that in a similar way to the rest of society we’re in danger of becoming polarised.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 19 Jun 2023 14:56

leon
SCIAG
leon
Explain.

We have appointed some truly horrific managers in the last 10 years and that people are watching it happen again?

But it strikes me that in a similar way to the rest of society we’re in danger of becoming polarised.

I gave a pithy one-liner, you asked me to explain it.

We have no idea if he is a horrific manager because he's never done it. Give the man a chance.

I'm not saying he's an obvious genius and you're all morons for failing to appreciate this world-class appointment, it's just common sense that someone with a Pro License and lots of coaching experience (Copenhagen, Valencia, Southampton) might turn out to be a competent League One manager.

People freaked out about Stam and he got us to third, people freaked out about Bowen and he saved us from relegation, people freaked out about Paunovic and he got us to seventh. Millsy freaked out about Ince then a few months later made an Ince appreciation thread, then a few months later started calling for his head. I don't think it's especially radical to say that catastrophising over managerial appointments isn't always going to work out.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Jun 2023 14:59

Stranded
Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Indeed but again he won't be a "manager" in the way we would be used to, he'll be a head coach as the non-playing things you generally expect a manager to handle as well will be taken on by Bowen and co esp the key area of contracts and recruitment.

I think this is a very optimistic view and a muddying of waters with a job title switcheroo.

Ince operated under the same conditions. Not a Head Coach. McDermott and Coppell both had Hammond in a similar way, not Head Coaches. Unless you're using Head Coach interchangeably with modern Manager, in which case you lose your distinction about why Selles is a good fit for our approach compared to others.

This is also generally the norm these days.

No Hammond worked to get players over the line that the manager wanted. There was no real structure in place under Ince until late in the window and as was documented recruitment was done on a wing and a prayer with Bowen in particular pulling in favours.

Now if you believe what Bowen has been saying (and completely understand if you don't), the set up is quite different and designed to give the club an identity i.e. he, Carey and Dublin/whoever are responsible for identifying and recruiting players to fit the way we want the club to play, they will recruit a head coach/manager based on them having a similar outlook, so if it goes pair shaped we aren't left with X number of players at the club but new guy Y wants to play a different way, so we add another Y players to the mix and hope to get rid of the old ones.

Totally appreciate I could be putting 2 and 2 together here and making 5 but given the info we have had in the past an appointment like Selles (or someone else) makes sense. As mentioned Wilder being available and interested was a wild card (in my mind) and one worth trying to get over the line.

And what exactly is the way they want the club to play, god help us if they think the utter cr@p we've endured here for the last 2/3 seasons is the way to go.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 19 Jun 2023 15:01

SCIAG
leon
SCIAG People freaking out about speculation that we might appoint someone to manage us in League One who didn't win many games as Southampton's third manager of the season in the Premier League. Prematurely calling it the worst appointment ever, comparing it unfavourably to appointing Glenn Hoddle or Steve Cotterill, saying they'll be livid if it happens. It's just a hysterical overreaction.

I gave a pithy one-liner, you asked me to explain it.

We have no idea if he is a horrific manager because he's never done it. Give the man a chance.

I'm not saying he's an obvious genius and you're all morons for failing to appreciate this world-class appointment, it's just common sense that someone with a Pro License and lots of coaching experience (Copenhagen, Valencia, Southampton) might turn out to be a competent League One manager.

People freaked out about Stam and he got us to third, people freaked out about Bowen and he saved us from relegation, people freaked out about Paunovic and he got us to seventh. Millsy freaked out about Ince then a few months later made an Ince appreciation thread, then a few months later started calling for his head. I don't think it's especially radical to say that catastrophising over managerial appointments isn't always going to work out.

Yeah but Millsy is a lunatic.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 19 Jun 2023 15:03

Stranded
Pepe the Horseman Y'all have lost your damn minds.

N'ah - I'm just looking at it logically and can see why those making the choices would see him being a fit. Again not that I want him or think he will be a success.

If appointed though, I won't throw my toys out of the pram and will support him until it goes tits up as per the usual cycle.

I'm just so tired of making excuses for these poor appointments. It literally happens every year. We make a terrible appointment then somehow convince ourselves there's logic to it.

Clement was shit at Derby and Swansea, but he's worked at some of the best clubs in the world, and he's meant to be a great coach, so maybe it'll work out here.

Gomes moves club every season and has never achieved anything, but actually, he's an amazing motivator, and he's meant to be a great coach, so maybe it'll work out here.

Pauno was a huge flop at Chicago Fire, but he won the U20s World Cup, so he can get the best out of our academy players, and he's meant to be a great coach, so maybe it'll work out here.

Selles was a disaster at Southampton and their fans think he's a joke. But anyone would have failed at Southampton, and his stint as assistant manager in the Russian second tier means he knows what it takes to do well in the lower leagues. Also he's meant to be a great coach, so maybe it'll work out here.

Ad infinitum.

Obviously if/when he gets it, there's nothing we can do about it, so it is what it is, but I'm just tired of making excuses for these mental decisions. And Bowen was supposed to stop that. Maybe our hand are tied with finances and everything happening behind the scenes, but we've gone from the cream of the crop, to bottom of the barrel, surely there's a middle ground.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 19 Jun 2023 15:49

It's not only the fact that we're likely to appoint another nobody as manager/head coach with no proven success in a similar role, it's also taking so long. Good for the club to bide their time but this is dragging on now. A lack of a manager never helps when it comes to the club signings transfer targets as the manager is a big pull for those deciding which club to join. The potential signings will go elsewhere and we'll be fighting for the scraps, players who aren't wanted at other clubs and are signed by us to make up the numbers.

The slow motion of everything tells me we're a low priority for Dai or he's lost interest in the club.
Last edited by Royal_jimmy on 19 Jun 2023 15:56, edited 1 time in total.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 19 Jun 2023 15:53

SCIAG Some people in here are probably the same people who wanted Coppell to be sacked in early 2005, then thought McDermott was a bad appointment because he'd only managed Slough.

I wasn't one of them, I trusted Madejski with managerial appointments. I don't trust Dai.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 19 Jun 2023 15:55

I just take the opinion that we've tried to be clever in the past and it hasn't worked. We've thought that if we bring in experienced assistants, or less-known foreign managers that it's similar to picking up a few bargains in the lower leagues. PInce was a bit different, it was a reasonable gamble given the situation we were in, but it wasn't the choice of a confident club.

Look, the worst has already happened - if we make another poor appointment it's just another lost season. Another year of misery. But things will continue. So why not just try a different tact and bring in someone that does inspire confidence. Someone whom the players will see walk into the club and know has the capability to get them promoted. Because Selles is just a complete unknown, the players will be waiting (along with the rest of us) to see whether his methods work or not - and given our recent past will probably tend towards pessimism.

I've backed our managers more than pretty much anyone else on this forum. Because I believe that everyone deserves a couple of seasons to build and not be judged on 5-6 game runs. But i've done that without any confidence whatsoever that the guy in charge knows what they're doing. I just want, for once, to have a season where I know that our manager does have it within them get results. And if they don't then so be it, that's football. We go back to trying something different.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 19 Jun 2023 15:57

Royal_jimmy It's not only the fact that we're likely to appoint another nobody as manager/head coach with no proven success in a similar role, it's also taking so long. Good for the club to bide their time but this is dragging on now. A lack of a manager never helps when it comes to the club signings transfer targets. The potential signings will go elsewhere and we'll be fighting for the scraps, players who aren't wanted at other clubs and are signed by us to make up the numbers.

The slow motion of everything tells me we're a low priority for Dai or he's lost interest in the club.

Based on our current situation who is going to want to sign for us apart from Baba Rahman?

768 posts