RUMOUR - Harper to Middlesborough

944 posts
Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

Re: RUMOUR - Harper to Middlesborough

by Sun Tzu » 27 Jan 2009 11:13

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY
West Stand Man
Friday's Child Harper to Middlesbrough now raised in today's Daily Mail - £5m......

I am still slightly shocked. Fulham and now Boro again. Either us Reading fans are all blinkered and the aforementioned clubs are foolish, or we are missing certain key aspects of his game that only Harper can do.

Could you edit that please, to;

Some of us are blinkered Reading fans with little or no clue about football .....

Do not tar us all with the same brush, there are plenty of us who do recognise Harper's talents.

For the benefit of us doubters, would you actually mind listing the talents you refer to?? If they are so evident, and I note that you had talents, as in plural,I am sure a healthy long list will be forthcoming - look forward to digesting!

As an alternative lets' list the footballing credentials of messers Coppell, Hammond, Dillon and Downes who seem to rate Harper and compare those to the footballing credentials of those who don't.....

As a start with Harper though I'd give you huge fitness, loads of energy, ability to make perfectly timed runs, good shot, strong defensively, good passer, vision, enthusiasm....

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 27 Jan 2009 11:39

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 27 Jan 2009 11:39

As an alternative let's list the footballing credentials of Messrs Coppell, Hammond, Dillon and Downes who seem to rate Harper and compare those to the footballing credentials of those who don't.....

Oh come on Sun... who the hell are they?
Do they drink three pints before the game and another at half-time?
How can they be expected to know ANYTHING?

As a start with Harper though I'd give you huge fitness, loads of energy, ability to make perfectly timed runs, good shot, strong defensively, good passer, vision, enthusiasm..

There you go again!

Please don't post facts, it confuses the list (well 90% of it)

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 27 Jan 2009 11:40

Royal Man Lets see if he is on the teamsheet for tonight. That would give some indication on the validity of this roumor.

guess on that basis that logic applies to s.hunt as well then....

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 27 Jan 2009 11:41

loyalroyal4life http://www.teamtalk.com/football/poll/0,16396,7556_58387_r,00.html

Stick your votes in if you love harper

That poll seems to suggest that Harpur is the fifth best midfielder in the league?

There are 48 CMs, plus about another 48 play some time, so Harps is in the top 5%, then?

heathrow royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: As seen on Soccer AM and somewhere between Heathrow and Southampton airport!!!

by heathrow royal » 27 Jan 2009 11:43

Snowball
loyalroyal4life http://www.teamtalk.com/football/poll/0,16396,7556_58387_r,00.html

That poll seems to suggest that Harpur is the fifth best midfielder in the league?

There are 48 CMs, plus about another 48 play some time, so Harps is in the top 5%, then?

Why is it so hard for you to spell the mans name right??????????????????

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 27 Jan 2009 11:56

Snowball

I'm a fan of Harper, but I have to say that once again you are twisting the evidence to support a "fact". There are only five options given in that poll. You can't say that Harps is in the top 5% when the options are limited in this way. That shortlist is a reflection of somebody else's opinion. Give fans a full list and James might well not place so high. Of course, he could well be higher, but one thing's for sure, that poll does not put him definitively in the top 5% of midfielders in the division. It's too restrictive to be illustrative of anything other than who's considered the best out of those 5 players.

Y25

by Y25 » 27 Jan 2009 11:58

Since day one I have been a massive fan of Harper

We have had the very best years out of him

So if this is true for £5M - I would say thanks very much and take that money

Would like to see it re-invested though

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 27 Jan 2009 12:02

Y25 Since day one I have been a massive fan of Harper

We have had the very best years out of him

So if this is true for £5M - I would say thanks very much and take that money

Would like to see it re-invested though

I'm sure the money will go towards some new carpets in the Madejski Stadium offices.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 27 Jan 2009 12:27

Oh Jay, you are so so tediously and unrelentingly boring.

Please give it a rest.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 27 Jan 2009 12:44

I pray this rumour is true and we get £5m for Harper. Not only is it far too much money, but I think the team can move forward without Harper.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 27 Jan 2009 13:01

I'm not convinced he's in the top 50 midfielders in the league, let alone 5. Says it all about Teamtalk.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 27 Jan 2009 13:03

Royal Rother Oh Jay, you are so so tediously and unrelentingly boring.

Please give it a rest.

So we make £5m on Harper and you think Coppell will have it all to spend? :lol:

Not even half of it!

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 27 Jan 2009 13:05

He could buy someone better than Harper with a quarter of it.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 27 Jan 2009 13:08

Deathy

Please give it a rest.

Not even half of it!

Rother for once is correct you are tediously boring on this subject, everyone knows your view on it so why repeat it all the time?

To be honest if i was Madejski I would think twice about giving Coppell serious money to spend seeing as though everytime a transfer fee approaches 7 figures he squanders it on absolute crap.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 27 Jan 2009 13:11

If I was Coppell I wouldn't bother asking for it, seeing as he's proved time and again that you don't need to spend big money to get top notch players....

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Jan 2009 13:13

Deathy

Please give it a rest.

Not even half of it!

Harper to Boro for £5m means we get £3m in the bank - Coppell would get at least £1.5m if not more, whether we'd spend it is another matter.

The deal makes absolutely no sense for us, so lets keep a player who has been a key part of the team currently looking a decent bet for promotion.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 27 Jan 2009 13:29

Completely agree Stranded. There is absolutely no point in selling Harps unless we get a ridiculous offer like 7 million.

Even then we would have to seriously consider it. He is the fulcrum on which the whole team is based. We would miss Harps far more if he went then Hunty. Luckily Harps' agent isn't a w*nker like Hunty's...

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 27 Jan 2009 14:12

Sun Tzu If I was Coppell I wouldn't bother asking for it, seeing as he's proved time and again that you don't need to spend big money to get top notch players....

Agree with both you and AP.
The net result would then surely be that season ticket prices are reduced as the club isn't spending (or wasting) money on new players and is raking in transfer monies at every window..

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 27 Jan 2009 14:39

BR2
Sun Tzu If I was Coppell I wouldn't bother asking for it, seeing as he's proved time and again that you don't need to spend big money to get top notch players....

Agree with both you and AP.
The net result would then surely be that season ticket prices are reduced as the club isn't spending (or wasting) money on new players and is raking in transfer monies at every window..

And I guess we just ignore the accumulated debts which need paying ?

But of course long term if we can make good profits in the transfer market without compromising performance on the pitch it's going to be a good thing for the finances. Not sure too many Premiership clubs manage to make money on the transfer market though.

944 posts