RUMOUR - Harper to Middlesborough

944 posts
UpNorth

Re: RUMOUR - Harper to Middlesborough

by UpNorth » 28 Jan 2009 12:49

Northern Echo seems confident they will get their man....

GARETH SOUTHGATE will make a formal approach for James Harper within the next 48 hours after Reading indicated a willingness to sell the midfielder.

Having missed out on Ben Watson when the England Under-21 international joined Wigan on Monday, Southgate is keen to bolster his midfield before the transfer window closes in five days.

His focus for the last 24 hours has been on this evening’s game at Chelsea, but when he returns to the North-East he will step up his pursuit of Harper.

Southgate came close to signing the 28-year-old in the summer, only for Reading to pull the plug on the deal after they sanctioned the departures of Dave Kitson and Nicky Shorey.

But six months in the Championship have taken their toll on the Royals’ finances, and sources claim Reading officials have now expressed a willingness to sell.

The midfielder will be allowed to leave the Madejski Stadium for £4m, and while money at the Riverside remains tight, a staggered deal with a proportion of the fee being paid in installments may be possible.

Interesting and could well happen but they still have to convince Harper to head north.....

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 28 Jan 2009 12:53

I can't help but feel it's a rehashof an old story, the one and only thing I think that can give it any weight is they missed out on Ben watson, so they are clearly after a central midfielder and someone like Harper would be in their price range.

Again though would be a risk for Harper, Boro are nowhere near safe and are wobbling currently,there is a chance like Kitson and Sonko we could be passing each other come May time.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 28 Jan 2009 12:57

UpNorth Northern Echo seems confident they will get their man....

GARETH SOUTHGATE will make a formal approach for James Harper within the next 48 hours after Reading indicated a willingness to sell the midfielder.

Having missed out on Ben Watson when the England Under-21 international joined Wigan on Monday, Southgate is keen to bolster his midfield before the transfer window closes in five days.

His focus for the last 24 hours has been on this evening’s game at Chelsea, but when he returns to the North-East he will step up his pursuit of Harper.

Southgate came close to signing the 28-year-old in the summer, only for Reading to pull the plug on the deal after they sanctioned the departures of Dave Kitson and Nicky Shorey.

But six months in the Championship have taken their toll on the Royals’ finances, and sources claim Reading officials have now expressed a willingness to sell.

The midfielder will be allowed to leave the Madejski Stadium for £4m, and while money at the Riverside remains tight, a staggered deal with a proportion of the fee being paid in installments may be possible.

Interesting and could well happen but they still have to convince Harper to head north.....

Anyone else think these 2 sentences don't make sense???

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 28 Jan 2009 13:37

Mr Angry
UpNorth Northern Echo seems confident they will get their man....

Anyone else think these 2 sentences don't make sense???

What you have to remember is 95% of sports journalists are a bit thick, or they would be proper journalists.

How anyone can think we're hard up after the deals we've done this season.

:roll:

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 28 Jan 2009 13:39

"sources claim" means I made it up.................

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 28 Jan 2009 13:45

Usual pile of old rehashed cobblers. Reading are not willing to sell any of their squad, neither do they need to sell any of their squad. Of course any attractive offers made will be considered.

Of course they are also probably much more sound financially than Middlesbrough!

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 28 Jan 2009 13:57

I think Fulham would definitely be a better fit for Harps. Not far from Reading, they play a good passing style and they are (probably) not going to get relegated.

I would think Tabb would fill in for Harps if he goes but I would personally like Karacan to do so.

Don't go though James - you will be with us in the Prem in less than 4 months!

The Cube

by The Cube » 28 Jan 2009 14:03

That Friday Feeling Thought he took his time leaving the field yesterday. Goodbye?

I hadn't noticed recently but he always used to go down the tunnel last as some sort of superstition. There was one occasion where he was standing around like a lemon for ages whilst one of the other players had a long chat with someone in the crowd.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 28 Jan 2009 15:18

The bit about us pulling the deal in the summer is , AFAIK, utter garbage.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 28 Jan 2009 15:42

Archie's penalty I think Fulham would definitely be a better fit for Harps. Not far from Reading, they play a good passing style and they are (probably) not going to get relegated.

I would think Tabb would fill in for Harps if he goes but I would personally like Karacan to do so.

Don't go though James - you will be with us in the Prem in less than 4 months!

'greed about Karacan...Can't wait to see him back in the first team.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Jan 2009 17:06

The Cube
That Friday Feeling Thought he took his time leaving the field yesterday. Goodbye?

I hadn't noticed recently but he always used to go down the tunnel last as some sort of superstition. There was one occasion where he was standing around like a lemon for ages whilst one of the other players had a long chat with someone in the crowd.

Harps always hangs around at the end of the game and claps all the fans in the stands. If people don't notice that, it's no wonder half our fans don't notice him omn the pitch during a game!

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 28 Jan 2009 17:08

Ian Royal
The Cube

Harps always hangs around at the end of the game and claps all the fans in the stands. If people don't notice that, it's no wonder half our fans don't notice him omn the pitch during a game!

He's certainly taken on that role now that Marcus and Murts aren't there to stop out on the pitch - just got the impression he lingered a little more than usual. FWIW I hope I'm wrong.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Jan 2009 17:09

Can't comment on this specific game as I had to leg it to try and get a train so I didn't end up kipping at Kings Cross last night.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 29 Jan 2009 13:50

Latest on this one from the Northern Echo...

Boro step up the chase for Harper
Jan 29 2009 by Eric Paylor, Evening Gazette

BORO are working hard to try to complete a transfer deadline- busting deal for Reading midfielder James Harper.

Boss Gareth Southgate has renewed his interest in the 28-year-old, who was his prime target last summer.

The Championship side were not prepared to sell at that time, even though figures of £4m were mentioned in the media.

It’s likely that Boro’s offer is much lower on this occasion and closer to the £2m they were prepared to fork out for Ben Watson of Crystal Palace.

However, the major difference now is that Reading boss Steve Coppell is prepared to do business if a deal can be arranged which suits both parties.

The Gazette understands the two clubs are still some way from reaching this agreement and there is little chance of Harper being snapped up before Saturday’s crucial Premier League clash at home to Blackburn Rovers.

Boro, though, do have until 5pm on Monday in which to come up with an acceptable offer and there could be major developments over the weekend.

Southgate immediately turned his attentions to Harper after failing to land Watson, which highlights his determination to try to strengthen the engine room in preparation for Boro’s battle for survival over the last 15 games.

Harper is not the best known of players but is a busy, workmanlike midfielder who is extremely popular with the Reading fans because of his work rate and never-say-die attitude. If Boro can agree a deal with Reading, they still have to convince the Essex-born player to move to Teesside.

But Harper has already tasted Premier League football with Reading and no doubt would love to test himself again in the top flight.

Personally I can't see this one happening for any less the £4million upfront and its doubtful MFC can afford that in one go.

Also its nice to note the spin on the facts to try and make a new story out of it all.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Jan 2009 17:35

£7m yes
£6m yes
£5m maybe
£4m feck off
£2m stop taking the piss.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 29 Jan 2009 19:10

Barry the bird boggler Harper is not the best known of players but is a busy, workmanlike midfielder who is extremely popular with the Reading fans because of his work rate and never-say-die attitude.

Not that you'd notice from reading the Team board!

John Peel

by John Peel » 29 Jan 2009 19:34

Watson would've gone on a free at the end of the season so 2m for Harper would be a fecking joke.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 30 Jan 2009 08:01

Friday's Child

by Friday's Child » 30 Jan 2009 08:11

I am truly shocked after this season's form that he is so highly regarded. Not suggesting that I feel the fountain of all knowledge when it comes to football, but on this one, I...just...don't....get...it

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 30 Jan 2009 08:31

Harper plays left side of central midfield, we sign two that can play there, wonder if that is a coincidence.

944 posts