RUMOUR - Hunt to Sunderland

258 posts
andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 22 Dec 2007 18:51

Hopefully the 2 points that Hunt earned us today will put this argument to bed once for all. Each place that Reading finish up the Prem table is going to be worth at least £750K this year. The 2 points Hunty earned at the end of the match tonight could easily mean we finish two places higher at the end of the season and the club will be £1.5M better off as a result of this one performance.

Why would we sell a player for £2M or so when he has nearly earned that for the club in just one day???

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 22 Dec 2007 18:52

im big enough to admit i made a mistake................

hunt should not be let go for less than 10 million

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Dec 2007 18:56

andrew1957 Hopefully the 2 points that Hunt earned us today will put this argument to bed once for all. Each place that Reading finish up the Prem table is going to be worth at least £750K this year. The 2 points Hunty earned at the end of the match tonight could easily mean we finish two places higher at the end of the season and the club will be £1.5M better off as a result of this one performance.

Why would we sell a player for £2M or so when he has nearly earned that for the club in just one day???

2pts in december will not mean the difference between 12th and 14th (for arguments sake) come May. By Your reckoning Hahnemann is worth about £5M because he's gained us about 5 pts recently. And I hate to tell you this, but he isn't.

Hunt is a good player, but I have my doubts how well he'd do elsewhere and I can't see many teams being willing to stump up more than a million for him. He's a vital cog in the wheel at the moment and the only way we'd sell is if we had a replacement lined up. We can't get by with just Convey for the left.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 22 Dec 2007 19:02

Thanks Sunderland for making Hunt especially pumped up for the match.

He won't join you lot, because you're probably GOING DOWN...

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 22 Dec 2007 21:07

Skin
BR2 I thought the football world had gone mad when Fulham paid money for Konchesky.
It will have gone even more mad if any club is daft enough to pay more than £500,000 for Hunt.
If somebody pays £3million the bubble will finally have burst and football will no longer exist.

What the FUCK are you dribbling on about you cock

Good to see that open debate amongst the youff of Reading is alive and well.
Such a considered response has to be admired.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 22 Dec 2007 21:18

andrew1957 Hopefully the 2 points that Hunt earned us today will put this argument to bed once for all. Each place that Reading finish up the Prem table is going to be worth at least £750K this year. The 2 points Hunty earned at the end of the match tonight could easily mean we finish two places higher at the end of the season and the club will be £1.5M better off as a result of this one performance.

What's this about Hunt earning us 2 points?
Shane Long did a fantastic run past 3 players and crosed to the unmarked Hunt who nearly f****d up another chance as the ball just about went across the line.
What about the simple header Hunt had from about 2 yards in the first-half that he managed to put wide?
If you believed some of the stuff on here tonight you would think that he was the long-haired bloke born on Christmas Day.

Hunt is a trier and I can understand why he is popular.
Bobby is a non-trier and is not so popular.
Hunt is erratic and must be a nightmare to play with as he probably doesn't know what he will do next let alone his team-mates.

If and when Maty Taylor arrives we may see a better shape to our side but more than anything I would love to see some real pace wide right or wide left to give our best two players in Doyle and Kitson the type of service that they both deserve and need.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 22 Dec 2007 21:25

Victor Meldrew

Shane Long did a fantastic run past 3 players and crosed to the unmarked Hunt who nearly f****d up another chance as the ball just about went across the line.
What about the simple header Hunt had from about 2 yards in the first-half that he managed to put wide?
If you believed some of the stuff on here tonight you would think that he was the long-haired bloke born on Christmas Day.

Hunt is erratic and must be a nightmare to play with as he probably doesn't know what he will do next let alone his team-mates.

If and when Maty Taylor arrives we may see a better shape to our side but more than anything I would love to see some real pace wide right or wide left to give our best two players in Doyle and Kitson the type of service that they both deserve and need.

The old Hunt vs Convey debate, I like them both.

It's funny that Hunt's favourite player was Tino Asprilla, not many of the Newcastle players knew what he was going to do next either.

Hunt has been a very important factor in our last 3 games, keep it up Mr Hunt.

royaldownunder

by royaldownunder » 22 Dec 2007 23:56

readingbedding
Victor Meldrew

The old Hunt vs Convey debate, I like them both.

It's funny that Hunt's favourite player was Tino Asprilla, not many of the Newcastle players knew what he was going to do next either.

Hunt has been a very important factor in our last 3 games, keep it up Mr Hunt.

Hear Hear! - the man's clearly an asset to the team. As for the Convey vs Hunt argument? a bit of competition in that area will keep them on their toes... and as we saw with our strikers in the last couple of seasons, we need depth when of em goes down injured.

We'd be mad to sell, he'd be mad to go.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 23 Dec 2007 08:32

winchester_royal you are merely making my point for me.....hunt does not have the quality to beat quality defenders, and let me ask you why.....if hunt is as good as you say, he was a bench player in the championship, and was not wanted by brentford........

if this club is to grow then we need skillful, quality players to come in, sadly hunt is not one of them

and also keep your childish insults to yourself..........thinking hunt is a good player does not make you jose fcuking mourinho

Presumably you think Peter Beardsley wasn't any good, then. He was a free transfer, routed through Carlisle and Vancouver Whitecaps (who are they). If being a bit-part player in one season means you're never going to improve, then how do any players better themselves.

I notice that our last two £2.5m signings have been a significant improvement on Hunt. Oh, wait a minute ..........

Hunt is seriously better as a player now than he was even two seasons ago - and he's personally responsible for our last four points.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Dec 2007 10:45

Victor Meldrew

What about the simple header Hunt had from about 2 yards in the first-half that he managed to put wide?If you believed some of the stuff on here tonight you would think that he was the long-haired bloke born on Christmas Day.

The only header I recall pulled a world class save out of the goalkeeper.

JimmytheJim

by JimmytheJim » 24 Dec 2007 11:31

Victor Meldrew

More tripe from a blinkered commentator. Hunt was outstanding yesterday, a constant thorn in the Sunderland defence whose electric pace and unpredictability had them at sixes and sevens. The shot that hit the post would have been one of the very best goals we've seen at the Mad Stad this season. It was his persistence that earned the free-kick for the first goal, and he scored the second goal, and even if it didn't cross the line, it took a world-class save from Gordon to keep it out. I have no idea how anybody can support an argument that Hunt is not one of the most important players in our squad. Funny how every non-Reading-supporting viewer of the game seems to disagree with you. I suggest actually watching the game next time you go to - if, that is, you do attend home matches, and don't form your opinions based on MOTD highlights.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 24 Dec 2007 11:54

Ian Royal

2pts in december will not mean the difference between 12th and 14th (for arguments sake) come May. By Your reckoning Hahnemann is worth about £5M because he's gained us about 5 pts recently. And I hate to tell you this, but he isn't.

Hunt is a good player, but I have my doubts how well he'd do elsewhere and I can't see many teams being willing to stump up more than a million for him. He's a vital cog in the wheel at the moment and the only way we'd sell is if we had a replacement lined up. We can't get by with just Convey for the left.

For the record last season the final points totals were
14th - 43 points
15th - 42
16th - 41
16th - 39
17th - 38
18th - 38

2 points can easily make a 2 place difference at the end of the season.

Anyway my point is that we would be mad to sell a player who is doing so well - irrespective of how much we were offered.

Billy The Fish

by Billy The Fish » 24 Dec 2007 11:55

JimmytheJim The shot that hit the post would have been one of the very best goals we've seen at the Mad Stad this season.

Agree 100%. A long cross field ball from Kitson I think, instantly brought under control. Then cut inside the defender and a superb shot that just needed to curl a tad. Would have been the best goal of its type seen at the Mad Stad for a few seasons!

I cannot believe how much Hunt has improved since we've been in the Premiership. From bit-part player to genuine contender for player of the season. And it all started with the overblown media bullsh*t over the Cech thing, credit to the management for using that in a positive way as they must have done. Now we simply must keep him.

rotherwick_royal

by rotherwick_royal » 24 Dec 2007 13:08

Anybody who slags off Hunt at the moment is clearly an idiot!

or a Chelsea fan

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 24 Dec 2007 13:40

JimmytheJim
Victor Meldrew

More tripe from a blinkered commentator. Hunt was outstanding yesterday, a constant thorn in the Sunderland defence whose electric pace and unpredictability had them at sixes and sevens. The shot that hit the post would have been one of the very best goals we've seen at the Mad Stad this season. It was his persistence that earned the free-kick for the first goal, and he scored the second goal, and even if it didn't cross the line, it took a world-class save from Gordon to keep it out. I have no idea how anybody can support an argument that Hunt is not one of the most important players in our squad. Funny how every non-Reading-supporting viewer of the game seems to disagree with you. I suggest actually watching the game next time you go to - if, that is, you do attend home matches, and don't form your opinions based on MOTD highlights.

"electric pace" come off it that really is RTG gone mad.
Hunty did well on Saturday-let's hope he does just as well in the games to come against teams that are not about to get relegated.
BTW I do go to just a few games now and again-ask my wife and children and even my grand-daughter(who is around about your age probably,she was 12 yesterday)who is a seasonticket holder.
Just because I don't think that Hunt can walk on water doesn't mean that I can't have a view even if it disagrees with yours.

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 24 Dec 2007 13:53

Gone up to £8m since yesterday.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 24 Dec 2007 14:05

Old Biscuitman Gone up to £8m since yesterday.

At the very least.

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 24 Dec 2007 14:13

Victor Meldrew
Old Biscuitman Gone up to £8m since yesterday.

At the very least.

I agree. Also the real question is that, given how effective he is being and the contribution he is making, who would be available who is better. It would be very wrong to sell just in order to realise a profit.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 24 Dec 2007 15:37

Surman from that enormous club on the South Coast that have to sell players in January.
The oft-mentioned Matty Taylor.
Traore (the young one)from Arsenal on loan.
The last two can play either left-back or left midfield and Surman can play centrally as well as wide left.
If Shorey AND Hunt were to go let's get all three and we would still have money for a right-winger plus Song from Arsenal on loan to play central midfield.

I do like this right-winger Walker that Charlton have let go on loan to Yeovil and Marvin Elliott would also be a welcome asset for the driving central midfield role.The other right-sider talked about on here is Zoltan Gera who certainly made Pardew take notice last week.
All of these have pace,something that is currently lacking in most of our midfield at the moment

All of these are young and skillful with something to prove.
I also like the lad at Hartlepool,James Brown,who can play out wide or through the middle and at 20 has great potential.
There ARE players out there who wouldn't cost the earth and if we got decent money for Shorey,Lita and Hunt then Mr Mad would probably still be looking at a sizeable profit at the end of the season.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 24 Dec 2007 18:12

Victor Meldrew Surman from that enormous club on the South Coast that have to sell players in January.
The oft-mentioned Matty Taylor.
Traore (the young one)from Arsenal on loan.
The last two can play either left-back or left midfield and Surman can play centrally as well as wide left.
If Shorey AND Hunt were to go let's get all three and we would still have money for a right-winger plus Song from Arsenal on loan to play central midfield.

I do like this right-winger Walker that Charlton have let go on loan to Yeovil and Marvin Elliott would also be a welcome asset for the driving central midfield role.The other right-sider talked about on here is Zoltan Gera who certainly made Pardew take notice last week.
All of these have pace,something that is currently lacking in most of our midfield at the moment

All of these are young and skillful with something to prove.
I also like the lad at Hartlepool,James Brown,who can play out wide or through the middle and at 20 has great potential.
There ARE players out there who wouldn't cost the earth and if we got decent money for Shorey,Lita and Hunt then Mr Mad would probably still be looking at a sizeable profit at the end of the season.

Let me see ..... proven (well one and a half seasons anyway) Premier League or unproven Championship. I don't think I'd be swapping at the moment.

258 posts