Min By Min Transfer Udates

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Min By Min Transfer Udates

by Dirk Gently » 01 Sep 2008 23:53

Platypuss
Indecisive Dave Or just the relief of holding onto two of the best players outside the Premiership that we could well have lost and struggled to replace with suitable quality.

Strange - I thought you'd said you weren't bothered about losing Doyle as he wasn't much of a loss and we'd be getting away with daylight robbery if Villa coughed for him?

His screen name says it all!

Streets

by Streets » 01 Sep 2008 23:55

Turning down £7-8m for Doyle, we couldn't and wouldn't have. But at this level and if he finds his form, of course he's an asset. Do you honestly feel he's worth £7-8m? of course not!

He is over rated and he is only rated so highly because of one overachieving season in the top flight - Fact.

But an asset to us, especially if we can have a Doyle full of confidence again!

But £7-8m?? Yes that would have been a silly sum and we couldn't possibly have said no.

firstdivision

by firstdivision » 01 Sep 2008 23:59

Interesting how perspectives are changed by a hat trick and a sudden performance fueled by the energy of the academy boys.

Whilst I doubt we will ever see what happened behind the scenes, I would dare to argue that this shows the club does have ambition within its means. SHunt and Doyle were reported to be high earners, and if we have fought to keep them them, that is ambition.

Very happy with the squad now.....

Streets

by Streets » 02 Sep 2008 00:01

firstdivision Interesting how perspectives are changed by a hat trick and a sudden performance fueled by the energy of the academy boys.

Whilst I doubt we will ever see what happened behind the scenes, I would dare to argue that this shows the club does have ambition within its means. SHunt and Doyle were reported to be high earners, and if we have fought to keep them them, that is ambition.

They were on a reported 25k each a week but the relegation meant to some players 30-50% drops in wages I think it was? Maybe the all seeing eye can tell us...Platypuss?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 02 Sep 2008 00:03

Indecisive Dave Not bothered, and I should be.

I can't feel it isn't much of a loss.

Well, it was 4 whole days ago. :|

firstdivision

by firstdivision » 02 Sep 2008 00:05

Streets They were on a reported 25k each a week but the relegation meant to some players 30-50% drops in wages I think it was? Maybe the all seeing eye can tell us...Platypuss?

Platypus works in the wage dept a RFC ? 8)

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 02 Sep 2008 00:06

Streets
firstdivision Interesting how perspectives are changed by a hat trick and a sudden performance fueled by the energy of the academy boys.

They were on a reported 25k each a week but the relegation meant to some players 30-50% drops in wages I think it was? Maybe the all seeing eye can tell us...Platypuss?

I have heard - but I'm not 100% certain on this - that at the start of the season the wage bill was about £8-9 million higher than the last time we were in the CCC, which accounts for the majority of the parachute payment.

Streets

by Streets » 02 Sep 2008 00:08

Dirk Gently
Streets

I have heard - but I'm not 100% certain on this - that at the start of the season the wage bill was about £8-9 million higher than the last time we were in the CCC, which accounts for the majority of the parachute payment.

Which is fine and expected. The £10m recouped from player sales went on ? :|

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 02 Sep 2008 00:13

[/quote]They were on a reported 25k each a week but the relegation meant to some players 30-50% drops in wages I think it was? Maybe the all seeing eye can tell us...Platypuss?[/quote]

I have heard - but I'm not 100% certain on this - that at the start of the season the wage bill was about £8-9 million higher than the last time we were in the CCC, which accounts for the majority of the parachute payment.[/quote]

Which is fine and expected. The £10m recouped from player sales went on ? :|[/quote]

New cars for the chairman and payments for the 2ft expansion at the megastore

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 02 Sep 2008 00:15

Streets
Dirk Gently
Streets They were on a reported 25k each a week but the relegation meant to some players 30-50% drops in wages I think it was? Maybe the all seeing eye can tell us...Platypuss?

Which is fine and expected. The £10m recouped from player sales went on ? :|

Don't assume that you get a cheque for the full value on day one - the vast majority of transfers these days are done in instalments over 2 or 3 years, and the actual fee is based on appearances, trophies won, etc (that's why so many are "undisclosed", since the final total is so variable.) So we won't have £10 million sitting in the bank, we'll have promises of £10 million or so over the next few years.

Of course, anyone that we'd buy could be financed in the same way, but it''s not pure cash liquidity like most people seem to think. That might involve making commitments on future income though - for a time when the parachute payments have run out.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 02 Sep 2008 00:17

Dirk Gently
Streets

We have also lost a few high earners from the wagebill though - Shorey, Kitson, (Fae?) and Sonko. Hunt, Mooney and Armstrong must be on less.

Streets

by Streets » 02 Sep 2008 00:23

Alot less I'd imagine.

Didn't we average £7.5k a week prior to promotion? I would expect that again for the newbies. Mooney on less until he proves his worth and maybe a new improved contract as a future reward...

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 02 Sep 2008 00:25

Also, off the field the football side of things is still being run as if we are a PL club - i.e. all the coaches, number of support staff, use of ProZone, etc. the only football economy being made is a slight downgrade of travel/hotels.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 02 Sep 2008 09:41

BREAKING NEWS ON SSN-

Damon Tennant has completed his £2.67p move from the bottom park to the top park in Twyford, subject to a medical and agreeing personal terms.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 02 Sep 2008 10:32

Thankfully we didn't sell anyone :wink:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Sep 2008 21:22

Dirk Gently Also, off the field the football side of things is still being run as if we are a PL club - i.e. all the coaches, number of support staff, use of ProZone, etc. the only football economy being made is a slight downgrade of travel/hotels.

Thats very interesting to know.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 02 Sep 2008 21:49

Ian Royal
Dirk Gently Also, off the field the football side of things is still being run as if we are a PL club - i.e. all the coaches, number of support staff, use of ProZone, etc. the only football economy being made is a slight downgrade of travel/hotels.

But the commitment is to do it for one season only - if we don't go up it will be reviewed at the end of the season.

The redundancies made a couple of months ago were from the non-football side of the club - which is shitty for those people as the relegation was nothing to do with them and their salary levels are minimal compared to a player's salary.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Sep 2008 22:33

Dirk Gently
Ian Royal

But the commitment is to do it for one season only - if we don't go up it will be reviewed at the end of the season.

The redundancies made a couple of months ago were from the non-football side of the club - which is shitty for those people as the relegation was nothing to do with them and their salary levels are minimal compared to a player's salary.

Sensible and as I'd expect.

Understandable though. footballing side keeping the infrastructure in place makes sense, non-footballing we can just hire more if we get promoted. I doubt it was anyone who wouldn't be easy to replace. Harsh but as I say, understandable.