SPECULATION - Charlie Austin

483 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: SPECULATION - Charlie Austin

by Ian Royal » 02 Jan 2011 14:07

Z175 2.5m total for a league one striker? It's not championship manager! That would represent 7 a game extra in ticket prices for each of our 16k fans, to see this lad in blue and white. The scum would snatch about 1m if he wants to leave.

If he'll cost that much I don't want him no matter how good he is.

It Is What It Is

by It Is What It Is » 02 Jan 2011 14:10

900k + Mooney bid would be wise, gets Mooney off the books and free's up a bit of wage space as well as letting us bid a bit less of hard cash for Austin

NR_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by NR_Royal » 02 Jan 2011 14:20

Z175 2.5m total for a league one striker? It's not championship manager! That would represent 7 a game extra in ticket prices for each of our 16k fans, to see this lad in blue and white. The scum would snatch about 1m if he wants to leave.

We sold Gylfi for nearly £7m, I'm fairly sure we can afford it. He is a very good player, not of League 1 standard.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Jan 2011 14:33

Maybe we could afford it... but just because the Queen could afford to pay £500k for a glass of milk doesn't mean she would or should, even if she's very thirsty.

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 02 Jan 2011 18:38

It Is What It Is 900k + Mooney bid would be wise, gets Mooney off the books and free's up a bit of wage space as well as letting us bid a bit less of hard cash for Austin

This could be a tasty bid, but not one Reading will do...

Still think this will be a non event...

Matt de K

by Matt de K » 02 Jan 2011 18:54

loyalroyal4life
Sir Dodger Royal Scoring the winner yesterday unlike our morons of so called strikers.

Swindon lost 2-1 to Bournemouth?

LOL @ thisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 02 Jan 2011 18:54

Mike Hunt
It Is What It Is 900k + Mooney bid would be wise, gets Mooney off the books and free's up a bit of wage space as well as letting us bid a bit less of hard cash for Austin

This could be a tasty bid, but not one Reading will do...

Still think this will be a non event...

Will only get done if the purse holder can get a zero knocked off the £900K figure ...........

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 02 Jan 2011 20:42

Matt de K
loyalroyal4life
Sir Dodger Royal Scoring the winner yesterday unlike our morons of so called strikers.

Swindon lost 2-1 to Bournemouth?

LOL @ thisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Brentford won.

UpNorth

by UpNorth » 03 Jan 2011 11:17

Hull have apparently doubled their initial bid for CA to £1.2m....

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 03 Jan 2011 11:21

Ian Royal

So, you're saying if he was as good as Lionel Messi then 2.5 million would be too much? Weird.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Jan 2011 11:26

UpNorth Hull have apparently doubled their initial bid for CA to £1.2m....

allegedly

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 03 Jan 2011 11:43

If £1.2m is the "going rate" for this sort of striker then I cant see us trumping up this sort of money.
I think that we have done well with what we have and maybe have ridden our luck a bit.

Elmer Park

by Elmer Park » 03 Jan 2011 12:23

I am not saying the likes of Austin are or are not worth that sort of money but surely strikers are not going to be much cheaper in the summer so I think we are going to be fishing for tiddlers who might grow up to be big fish in the mould of Doyle or a Kitson type that other Clubs wouldn't take a punt on. Trouble is for every Doyle there are a hundred Bas Savages.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 03 Jan 2011 14:52

tee peg If £1.2m is the "going rate" for this sort of striker then I cant see us trumping up this sort of money.
I think that we have done well with what we have and maybe have ridden our luck a bit.

Lita for a million, Austin for £1.2m. I see nothing wrong with that evaluation for what is a decent goalscorer. They hardly grow on trees and at that price and for his age I think it's a great opportunity for us if the Chairman supports our so called push for promotion.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 03 Jan 2011 15:57

roadrunner
tee peg If £1.2m is the "going rate" for this sort of striker then I cant see us trumping up this sort of money.

Lita for a million, Austin for £1.2m. I see nothing wrong with that evaluation for what is a decent goalscorer. They hardly grow on trees and at that price and for his age I think it's a great opportunity for us if the Chairman supports our so called push for promotion.

Totally agree. Its a fair price to pay.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 03 Jan 2011 16:34

roadrunner

...and I think those 3 words sum it all up.....he bleats on about how much it costs in the premiership, so can you honestly see him wanting promotion???...he does the talk but not the walk....perfectly summed up by the way, on the Football League Show, he sidestepped the "holy grail" question about whether he would be investing....id like to be proved wrong on 31 January..but dont think will be

He'll wheel McD out in the next couple of weeks BEFORE deadline to say "We know what we're about, and I'm happy with the squad Ive got and don't see any need to bring in anyone else".............

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Jan 2011 17:24

Royal With Cheese
Ian Royal

So, you're saying if he was as good as Lionel Messi then 2.5 million would be too much? Weird.

No I'm saying that if he costs that much he is beyond our current spending power so I don't want us to damage the club to get him no matter how good he is. Obviously at such an extreme case as Messi it's possible he could do enough on his own to guarantee us promotion and make it worth it short term... would it work long term? I have my doubts. I also doubt that one player, no matter how good could make a big enough difference to justify that level of spending for us.

I think the chances of us spending more than £1m on any one player are minimal.

In response to Elmer Park I'd suggest that January is a more expensive time because the players being brought in often need to be instant hits and there is usually still time to run on a contract.

UpNorth

by UpNorth » 03 Jan 2011 18:12

Just missed an absolute sitter....

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 03 Jan 2011 18:59

SymonsO Scored.

Lol get him in, although i think a loan striker coming in is more likely to happen

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 03 Jan 2011 19:06

Scored his second.

483 posts