Football Rumours Shoite thread

1031 posts
Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Football Rumours Shoite thread

by Nameless » 12 Aug 2014 15:57

Royal Lady The McCarthy one would equally explain why Feds was chosen over him on Saturday....

Although not why McCarthy is playing tonight.....

Martin41

by Martin41 » 12 Aug 2014 16:04

Nameless
Royal Lady The McCarthy one would equally explain why Feds was chosen over him on Saturday....

I'm guessing as Feds is no 1 choice at the moment, he does not want to get him injured maybe??
Just to give McCarthy some match time??
Who really knows.....

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 12 Aug 2014 16:07

McCarthy's distribution isn't good enough for him to play in the Premiership, that's why nobody's bought him, isn't that obvious?

Adkins doesn't currently think it's good enough for him to play in the championship either.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Aug 2014 16:13

Martin41
Nameless

I'm guessing as Feds is no 1 choice at the moment, he does not want to get him injured maybe??
Just to give McCarthy some match time??
Who really knows.....

If McCarthy didn't play on Saturday because he is on his way then selecting him tonight makes no sense. For one thing it cup ties him! Would have been a good chance to dust the cobwebs off Andersen and let us see what he looks like.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 12 Aug 2014 16:53

Norfolk Royal McCarthy's distribution isn't good enough for him to play in the Premiership, that's why nobody's bought him, isn't that obvious?

Adkins doesn't currently think it's good enough for him to play in the championship either.

Agree - also think that all the hype has got to him a bit .... and NA maybe thinks Feds is more reliable at the moment. Worth remembering that even though AF was rubbish in the Prem he was more than decent in the season before that ... wonder if Feds has finally learnt to deal with crosses though or if he's still a vampire.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 12 Aug 2014 18:50

Norfolk Royal McCarthy's distribution isn't good enough for him to play in the Premiership

Please tell me that's a Poe...

McCarthy's distribution is perfectly adequate. His ability as a goalkeeper makes up for any flaws.

The reason he isn't playing in the Premier League is because there happen to be a lot of good goalkeepers around right now, and he happens to be at a club who aren't in the Premier League.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 12 Aug 2014 19:19

SCIAG
Norfolk Royal McCarthy's distribution isn't good enough for him to play in the Premiership

McCarthy's distribution is perfectly adequate. His ability as a goalkeeper makes up for any flaws.

The reason he isn't playing in the Premier League is because there happen to be a lot of good goalkeepers around right now, and he happens to be at a club who aren't in the Premier League.

'Adequate' is not good enough, even if that were true. His distribution happens to be 'inadequate.'

It's such a big part of play these days with goalkeepers often being tasked with keeping the ball alive as the last line of defence.
Last edited by Norfolk Royal on 12 Aug 2014 21:07, edited 1 time in total.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 12 Aug 2014 20:49

SCIAG

His distribution is not adequate for the Prem

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 12 Aug 2014 22:20

Another poor game for him distribution wise.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 13 Aug 2014 07:40

Adequate is good enough, that's the definition of the word !
I'd take a keeper who keeps the ball out of the net over one who makes decent passes every time. It's down to the outfield players to ensure the keeper has an easy ball and we don't do that well enough.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 13 Aug 2014 08:28

Nameless Adequate is good enough, that's the definition of the word !
I'd take a keeper who keeps the ball out of the net over one who makes decent passes every time. It's down to the outfield players to ensure the keeper has an easy ball and we don't do that well enough.

Indeed, but I'm saying it is not adequate for the Premiership.

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 13 Aug 2014 11:43

Royalwaster
Norfolk Royal McCarthy's distribution isn't good enough for him to play in the Premiership, that's why nobody's bought him, isn't that obvious?

Agree - also think that all the hype has got to him a bit .... and NA maybe thinks Feds is more reliable at the moment. Worth remembering that even though AF was rubbish in the Prem he was more than decent in the season before that ... wonder if Feds has finally learnt to deal with crosses though or if he's still a vampire.

Federici..... reliable..... :lol:

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 13 Aug 2014 13:58

Nameless Adequate is good enough, that's the definition of the word !

What about when, as happened last night, the outfield players give him an easy ball and he takes a touch that puts the ball behind him? Or when they give him a decent ball and, as happened last night, he dailies on it and kicks it to the opposition striker?

You all say he's a future England keeper and how great he's going to be but unless he improves on his kicking he's not getting anywhere near that level. Distribution does matter and it's pretty obvious that PL clubs take that into account otherwise he'd be gone by now.

Shot stopping ability and any difference between Feds and Mccarthy in that regard really is exagerrated on here.

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 13 Aug 2014 14:07

sandman
Shot stopping ability and any difference between Feds and Mccarthy in that regard really is exagerrated on here.

Federici is always caught out at his near post, McCarthy is an exemplary shot-stopper which should be the main attribute of a goalkeeper.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 13 Aug 2014 14:17

I'd much rather have a McCarthy who spoons it once a game than a Federici who routinely fails to deal with simple shots.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 13 Aug 2014 14:25

They've both got weaknesses, that's why they are Championship players.

Federici's are weaknesses in fairly key keeping skills, McCarthy's in an important, but secondary area.

Agree that when McCarthy miskicks and creates a situation where none existed it becomes serious. But when Feds leaves his near post exposed or doesn't come for a cross those are much more fundamental issues.

They are both good keepers, I'm happy with either and many clubs would love to have a pair as good.

If one or the other can improve their weaknesses it would be brilliant, suspect Feds is too set in his ways and i'dhope a lot of effort has been put into MCarthy's distribution but there is no obvious progress.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Aug 2014 17:27

Nameless They've both got weaknesses, that's why they are Championship players.

Federici's are weaknesses in fairly key keeping skills, McCarthy's in an important, but secondary area.

Agree that when McCarthy miskicks and creates a situation where none existed it becomes serious. But when Feds leaves his near post exposed or doesn't come for a cross those are much more fundamental issues.

They are both good keepers, I'm happy with either and many clubs would love to have a pair as good.

If one or the other can improve their weaknesses it would be brilliant, suspect Feds is too set in his ways and i'dhope a lot of effort has been put into MCarthy's distribution but there is no obvious progress.

Amen brother.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 13 Aug 2014 17:32

Think the whole goalkeeper thing is far more simple than folk think.

Two great keepers, Adkins not sure who he prefers going into the new season, gives em both a run out with his favoured team.

Happy with either: what one lacks he makes up for in other ways. Finding criticism with one seems a little futile.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 13 Aug 2014 19:19

St. Brynjar I'd much rather have a McCarthy who spoons it once a game than a Federici who routinely fails to deal with simple shots.

It's not once a game though mate it's becoming regular and ridiculous, to the point where people have started to laugh at him.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 13 Aug 2014 19:33

The art of keeping goals out of your net i.e. a goalkeeper>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>distribution

McCarthy is one the the best shot stoppers I've ever seen & knows exactly what he is doing inside the box i.e. confidently collecting crosses & the like.

Fed just makes me bloody nervous & makes the simple stuff look a lot more difficult than it really is.

I do like them both but predict we will concede far more with AF between the sticks.

1031 posts