64%
No
36%

Total votes: 78
PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

Gyan - Yes or No?

by PistolPete » 29 Aug 2016 22:01

I am SO excited about Gyan! But it seems the cautious/boring type (OK, maybe even clever type) are anti the move.

It's a simple yes or no - assuming the club can afford the deal - would you take Gyan?

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

Re: Gyan - Yes or No?

by seahawk10 » 29 Aug 2016 22:36

Yes

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 29 Aug 2016 22:40

Yes

But you're missing the Ian Royal option. Poor form.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 30 Aug 2016 00:37

maffff Yes

But you're missing the Ian Royal option. Poor form.

+1 to the Ian Royal option - poor nobbing.

With regards to OP.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Aug 2016 00:39

No.

I'd be looking at building towards next season as opposed to this season, and building a tight knit group that are relatively young and hungry to achieve. I also want to be seeing more of our Academy graduates as promised, not virtually nothing. You can't argue with Gyan's record, but he's older, not been playing in a significantly competitive league for years, moved to a lower quality league just to earn money and our record with big names has been terrible. A few have had good short impacts, but for the most part they've been costly and disappointing in the longer run. Plus, if he has a good season he'll be off.

You can say that Stam and Tevreden have signed quality this summer and to trust them, but that really remains to be seen as it's not about how you do in half a dozen performances, it's about 20 - 40 performances.

If we do sign him and it works, fabulous. I don't mind a gamble... this just isn't the sort of gamble that hooks me. Once burned twice shy.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Aug 2016 07:05

I want us to sign a young Unknown player from the lower leagues who has extensive experience at the highest level, preferably with many international caps. We need a player who can guarantee 20 Goals a season therefore needs a track record of doing this. We need to avoid spending money, no point getting ripped off by money driven mercenaries. Unless we do invest heavily in a striker we won't get anyone decent though, no spending equals a lack of ambition. It's essential whoever we sign is prepared to stay with us for the long term, but ideally he'll really have a huge impact and allow us to make a massive profit when we sell him on.
Whoever we sign I will find a reason to object, although obviously I will give them my full support.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 30 Aug 2016 07:17

A tentative yes with the proviso that we can cut the loan short in the next window.

An exciting signing but we've been burnt before.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 30 Aug 2016 07:42

On the face of it, seems like a low risk gamble as Shanghai are paying his wages. It's one loan player.

Gyan has performed on the international stage consistently for years. Scored goals at world cups.

The club have tried the young unknown attacking signings in Meite & Mendes. The fans still wanted more so have gone for a marquee internationally known signing with almost 100 caps and it seems again we could beat other clubs to his signature.

A striker sihgning is going to boost our attacking threat and give another option. So it's a yes from me.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 30 Aug 2016 07:47

If he's the only option we have to get a striker in before the window shuts, then IN, obvs.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 30 Aug 2016 08:14

Yes. This signing should give Jaap a full season or at least until January to find an up and coming striker from the lower leagues that the doubters are asking for. And if we do sign him I think he'll score a shed load of goals for us on season long loan.

Great signing if it happens.

George_

by George_ » 30 Aug 2016 08:46

Yes.

He's a proven goalscorer at international level. That's good enough for me. Bring on the Ghanaian dancing.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 30 Aug 2016 08:50

can't really answer without knowing the finances involved, who else is available, how he seems as a person attitude wise and carbon dating his bones to see how old he really is.

on the whole though, the window SLAMS shut in 2 days and if there is no one else on the horizon then for the lolz, yeah why not.

though I am uncomfortable with the whole r*pey business

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Aug 2016 09:05

JimmytheJim

by JimmytheJim » 30 Aug 2016 09:17

He was brilliant at Sunderland and he'll be brilliant at Reading.

But I still love Royston, so what do I know?

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 30 Aug 2016 09:53

I don't know enough about his fitness, reasons for leaving 'competitive football' or personality to make an informed decision.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 30 Aug 2016 11:04

Ian Royal No.

I'd be looking at building towards next season as opposed to this season, and building a tight knit group that are relatively young and hungry to achieve. I also want to be seeing more of our Academy graduates as promised, not virtually nothing. You can't argue with Gyan's record, but he's older, not been playing in a significantly competitive league for years, moved to a lower quality league just to earn money and our record with big names has been terrible. A few have had good short impacts, but for the most part they've been costly and disappointing in the longer run. Plus, if he has a good season he'll be off.

You can say that Stam and Tevreden have signed quality this summer and to trust them, but that really remains to be seen as it's not about how you do in half a dozen performances, it's about 20 - 40 performances.

If we do sign him and it works, fabulous. I don't mind a gamble... this just isn't the sort of gamble that hooks me. Once burned twice shy.

This side needs some extra goals added to it, without them we'll probably struggle a little, or at least struggle to convert decent performances into decent results.

What we need for this system and side to develop for next season is some decent results to help bed things in and so even if this is a short term move just for this season it might well be just what the younger players and the squad need in order to build for next season.

As long as his attitude is right then I'm IN for Gyan.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 30 Aug 2016 11:47

At the moment. We've only got.

Samuel - Unproven
Mendes - Unproven
Kermorgant - not pacey enough for a single striker
Meite - Unproven

There's obviously little else in the market available. There's no loan market either once the window closes.

Has to worth a punt. Gyan is team Captain for his country. So will add experience and leadership. Reinforcing the spin of the team.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 30 Aug 2016 11:51

Charles Watts reporting deal off as failed a medical...

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 30 Aug 2016 12:17

Lower West ... Reinforcing the spin of the team.

Hope the recent dealings have been more than just spin.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 30 Aug 2016 12:29

oxf*rd it. Still a yes from me.