Rumour - Ben Watson

335 posts
Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

Rumour - Ben Watson

by Barry the bird boggler » 18 Jun 2008 14:28

http://www.fansfc.com/frontpage/frontpagenews.asp?newsid=186574

The above link does not much to say really other than QPR & Reading rumoured to be after Palace 1.25million rated midfielder Ben Watson, who has handed in a transfer request.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

Re: Rumour - Ben Watson

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 18 Jun 2008 14:33

The false hoops have to be in pole position on this one - we can't move anything forward until we sell and there doesnt appear to be many proper knocks on our door at the moment for any of our players. Added to that, QPR are so cash laden,they could become the championship equivalent of Chelski -- but never mind because when we miss out on Watson and Harper then gets snapped up by West Ham, we always have Gunnarsson! :roll:

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 18 Jun 2008 14:48

If indeed it is going to be literally a "sell one, buy one" policy with absolutely no risk taken, then the club's chances of escaping the CC in the coming season are nil. What an unimaginative moribund policy. Doesn't the club have a Board and managers who can manage elementary commercial situations better than that?

Fezza

by Fezza » 18 Jun 2008 14:52

Old Biscuitman If indeed it is going to be literally a "sell one, buy one" policy with absolutely no risk taken, then the club's chances of escaping the CC in the coming season are nil. What an unimaginative moribund policy. Doesn't the club have a Board and managers who can manage elementary commercial situations better than that?

Given the pathetic attempts in the past two seasons you'd have to say not!

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 18 Jun 2008 14:53

The QPR owners are wealthy but have not yet shown a willingness to throw pots of money at the club. Ben Watson I'm guessing will know Ian Dowie so that may have an impact on whether Ben Watson wants to go there or not.

I would love to see Watson here with Harper leaving for pastures new. Watson and Matejovsky would have the potential to be a great pairing.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 18 Jun 2008 14:54

Are we still getting Clinton Morrison as well? :P

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 18 Jun 2008 15:03

Wycombe Royal The QPR owners are wealthy but have not yet shown a willingness to throw pots of money at the club. Ben Watson I'm guessing will know Ian Dowie so that may have an impact on whether Ben Watson wants to go there or not.

I would love to see Watson here with Harper leaving for pastures new. Watson and Matejovsky would have the potential to be a great pairing.

Crikey, we agree twice in a day!

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 18 Jun 2008 15:14

Wycombe Royal The QPR owners are wealthy but have not yet shown a willingness to throw pots of money at the club. Ben Watson I'm guessing will know Ian Dowie so that may have an impact on whether Ben Watson wants to go there or not.

Ligetwood and Vine are on £25k a week.

Coppell has said that it's not one in one out. But then he said we'd sign players last season too....

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 18 Jun 2008 15:21

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe

Ligetwood and Vine are on £25k a week.

Coppell has said that it's not one in one out. But then he said we'd sign players last season too....

... and we did sign players last season. You may not think they were any good , but we still signed some.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 18 Jun 2008 15:22

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY The false hoops have to be in pole position on this one - we can't move anything forward until we sell and there doesnt appear to be many proper knocks on our door at the moment for any of our players. Added to that, QPR are so cash laden,they could become the championship equivalent of Chelski -- but never mind because when we miss out on Watson and Harper then gets snapped up by West Ham, we always have Gunnarsson! :roll:

if so cash laden why are their ST prices hiked so high?
or is that why they are now cash laden?

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 18 Jun 2008 15:24

QPR spent a net £5.25m on players last season, which is more than Stoke, Hull, Bristol City, Watford, Crystal Palace and Wolves put together. The difference that the new owners have made is that QPR have not had to raise cash to finance new players, as the other top clubs in the Championship have done.

As above, I would hope that with our coffers relatively full from the Premier League, and with £11m to come over the next two years in parachute payments, our transfer policy is a bit more meaty than ‘one out, one in’.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 18 Jun 2008 15:30

cmonurz QPR spent a net £5.25m on players last season, which is more than Stoke, Hull, Bristol City, Watford, Crystal Palace and Wolves put together. The difference that the new owners have made is that QPR have not had to raise cash to finance new players, as the other top clubs in the Championship have done.

As above, I would hope that with our coffers relatively full from the Premier League, and with £11m to come over the next two years in parachute payments, our transfer policy is a bit more meaty than ‘one out, one in’.

Wolves had a net spend of around £8m last season (there were undisclosed fees which amounted to quite a bit).

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 18 Jun 2008 15:34

Fairynuff, figures were from soccerbase, so didn’t pick up undisclosed.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 18 Jun 2008 15:36

They are trying to sign Aaron McLean as well, (wolves that is)

chandog

by chandog » 18 Jun 2008 15:49

There was talk of us signing watson in january last season but nothing developed from it
If he wants to leave palace we should definitely try and sign him
Could be the new sidwell - on the pitch and being ginger
IMO we need a new CM whether harper leaves or not

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 18 Jun 2008 16:06

Wycombe Royal I would love to see Watson here with Harper leaving for pastures new. Watson and Matejovsky would have the potential to be a great pairing.

'greed.

I thought that us being in the same division as Palace, and Palace's finish to the season under Warnock would probably have kyboshed any hopes of him coming here though.

If he just feels he needs a new challenge then I think we'd stand a chance.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 18 Jun 2008 16:10

Old Biscuitman If indeed it is going to be literally a "sell one, buy one" policy with absolutely no risk taken, then the club's chances of escaping the CC in the coming season are nil. What an unimaginative moribund policy. Doesn't the club have a Board and managers who can manage elementary commercial situations better than that?

What makes you think that is "literally" the policy? Before you start sneering at the club's management why not wait until you find out what their approach actually is. This is after all the team that bought Matejovsky - universally acclaimed as the the greatest thing in hoops since the Dark Ages.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 18 Jun 2008 16:10

point is that if Harper doesnt leave then any new central midfielder doesnt play! - I agree Harper should go because of the 2 holders of the centre positions, Marek has to be the one that will help us get back up. If no other club wants him, Harper can go and get a job as a policeman on the Gaviscon advert! :lol:

Streets

by Streets » 18 Jun 2008 16:37

LOL @ anyone thinking this unambitious chairman will spend anything like what it'll take to sign a Ben Watson, or anyone else in the bracket of £2m.

We wont!

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 18 Jun 2008 17:05

only 6k season ticket holders so far (according to EP) would suggest that you are right - apathy has set in! Messages coming out of club are gloomier than the economy at the moment!

335 posts